Author Topic: Vale Onslow having a clear-out  (Read 978 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Vale Onslow having a clear-out
« on: 07.06. 2023 09:24 »
Attention all auto jumblers we are having a clear out and selling some old stock due to down sizing our 2 units into 1.
Give us a call to arrange a viewing and pick through any parts you may want.
0121 772 2577
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Vale Onslow having a clear-out
« Reply #1 on: 07.06. 2023 09:28 »
More
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 07.06. 2023 09:29 »
Last picture
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.06. 2023 12:46 »
Isn't this just online autojumbling without, necessarily, an intention of blowout pricing? I'll tell you this, though, it really makes those long and desparate searches for the oddball part seem silly, as these people seem to have 37 of everything.

Richard L.

Online Sakura

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 07.06. 2023 18:56 »
Isn't this just online autojumbling without, necessarily, an intention of blowout pricing? I'll tell you this, though, it really makes those long and desparate searches for the oddball part seem silly, as these people seem to have 37 of everything.

Richard L.
Yes and most of it as rusty as an old horseshoe. Stored in tumbledown sheds and buildings. What a waste!
63 RGS

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 08.06. 2023 11:36 »
   Somehow I don't think there will be any bargains.  Back in the day I tried to be a customer of Vale-Onslow's. They had a shop in Soho Road Handsworth, Birmingham not far from the Municipal Library, and a lock up store/bike breakers at the top of Dawson Road. I say tried, because even in 1964 they would ask top dollar for the most mediocre of Lambretta LD bits. Instead I went to Aston Autos, now long demolished for the Aston Expressway, where the parts man I reckon was Ben Croft, he of later C&D Autos, Acocks Green and now that business still survives  out in the country not far from GB. I bought stuff from C&D in the 1970's when he also still had the genuine parts from when BSA closed, and he was a real rough diamond but a fair bloke.

In those days "Onslow's"  was run by Len Vale-Onslow, a true character whose achievements are well documented. They  also had a shop in Sparkbrook, and moved to indusrial premises in Bordesley Green a few years ago. 

It was rumoured even all those years ago that the Sparkbrook premises were  piled high with genuine BSA spares. Now I just can't understand how some traders work their magic, but Onslows now also offer stuff on eBay, and again the pricing policy remains eye watering. I suppose they know what they are doing, no-one knows what the future holds, before all that stuff becomes redundant over time. 

No doubt Chris Williams' Autocycle have already knocked on the door. Another well establisher operator who knows the market but is too pricey even on eBay for the likes of mugs like me.

Swarfy.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 08.06. 2023 12:37 »
I suspect that prohibitive pricing has a lot to do with why they now have so much excess stock that has decayed and diminished in value below what would have been fair back when it was more widely desired. If I recall correctly from school, I believe it's called "the economic equation." Price your products to make a profit AND promote traffic. (Not that one needs school to know that )

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 08.06. 2023 13:10 »
Not long ago it seemed old vehicles were going to continue to rise in value. The bubble seems to have burst. The constant threat of the end of the road for IC engines being one of the factors.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 08.06. 2023 13:14 »
I was always suspicious of the UK move to stop annual testing of classic vehicles and the dropping of a chargeable licence to use them. I wonder if old vehicles may be restricted in some way and the freedom to use them at other times is a sop.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 08.06. 2023 21:13 »
G'day GB.
Down here classic bikes (30 years for bikes, 25 for cars/trucks) on Historic rego must be a member of a Club. The Club has it's own inspectors to check roadworthy. My 51 A7 didn't come with a brake light standard so can pass like that. As long as it's as manufactured it's OK. I did put one on anyway.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Sakura

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 08.06. 2023 22:15 »
Not long ago it seemed old vehicles were going to continue to rise in value. The bubble seems to have burst. The constant threat of the end of the road for IC engines being one of the factors.
I am friends with a classic bike dealer and we often discuss which way the market is going. Currently prices are softening, particularly on heavy bikes, such as A10'S. He is being offered more and more collections from families where the owner is deceased or simply unable to manage them anymore and also trying to offload them before the bubble bursts. We are all getting older, I don't have the strength I once had and find it a struggle to get some bikes on their centre stands. My younger brother in law's are only interested in modern bikes or some japanese classics. But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know! Everything changes over time and things go in and out of fashion, I personally think that this change is permanent.
63 RGS

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #11 on: 09.06. 2023 07:14 »
Everything changes over time and things go in and out of fashion, I personally think that this change is permanent.

I have a nasty feeling you might be right. Which is the perfect reason to use the hell out of them while we can, and not worry whether there's the odd blemish, because it won't matter as we approach The Last Days  . . .
Bill

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 09.06. 2023 16:37 »
   Somehow I don't think there will be any bargains.   

Indeed. We had a long-established bike shop locally, and the old boy running it wanted to retire.
"Grand sale" and all that old jazz in the classic press, but nothing was cheap or anywhere near a bargain, and when the remnants were finally auctioned off before closure, even they weren't "cheap" either.
Nothing exotic, just partially-stripped B31s and dead Lambrettas.
On the other hand, this was 20 or so years ago when old bike prices were still booming, so things may have changed.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 15.06. 2023 10:03 »
G'day GB.
Down here classic bikes (30 years for bikes, 25 for cars/trucks) on Historic rego must be a member of a Club. The Club has it's own inspectors to check roadworthy. My 51 A7 didn't come with a brake light standard so can pass like that. As long as it's as manufactured it's OK. I did put one on anyway.
Cheers
My A7, (Austin Seven) was sold without brake lights, indicators, dipping headlamps, seat belts and had only one rear light. The car was unlockable and did not have an ignition key, just a switch. Same as in Australia, in the UK the original set up is respected in annual checks. Of course, I fitted a second rear light and brake lights.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline steve c

• Moving Up
  • 1960 A7 ( Now super rocket spec )
« Reply #14 on: 04.07. 2023 20:37 »
Well all the the local scooterlads frequented vale onslows in the early 1982/ 83 and I always enjoyed buying parts from Pete, he sold us nos parts and he sold me very good rare panels, oil seals , badges he gave me a tv200 rear frame badge for about £1, he had a stack of them nos probably 20 of them. I gave it him back ( they go for £400 nos each now) . He would go and find parts for a restoration I think he sold me a set of nos sx200 sidepanels for £20 my mate has the scooter with them on fully restored. I sold the scooter for £500 to pay the mortgage, I got a job the week later. The younger Len? was always in the background very dapper in a suit he did sales and I think some brit bike and scooter restorations. In the rhs of the shop there were loads of beautifully restored classics british, japanese and scooters as new . Most of the scooter dealers and tuners worked at Vale onslows as YTS trainees, Disco Dez , Stuart Owen, Jason. I always loved the britbikes as well but never was offered anything other than bantams. Almost around the same time a friend slightly older owner 30 year old at the local chip shop was moving he sold a lambretta tv200 engine for £2, he had sold his lambretta tv175 ser 2 but he had an a10 in bits he almost sold me it for £20 but he thought he would like to do it, I hope he did. Hopefully he is on this forum, the chippy on cambridge st rugby sold 82/ 83. You have to remember Lambretta were very hard to find or get parts for then. Most British bikes were almost hoarded by older guys.