Author Topic: Wheels and respoking  (Read 1969 times)

Online Gavin

• Valued Contributor
Wheels and respoking
« on: 14.01. 2007 08:44 »
Hi. I am new to this forum, but have had a 51 Gold flash in bits for 20 years. I am now rebuilding it and am currently working on the wheels. I have them respoked, and am happy enough with that part of the task, but now need to retension them. I understand that there are 4 aspects of this: round, true, "Dishing" and even spoke tension.

My question is regarding the "Dishing" aspect, which I believe is where the hub needs to be centred to the rim, or maybe even slightly off centre.

Is there someone who either knows what is required for a 51 A10 plunger frame, or can someone who has one measure the "dishing" for me, so that the bike will run in a straight line and not "crab" down the road for me please?

Would like to know how others have mastered this challenge. Thanks, Gavin.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: Wheels and respoking
« Reply #1 on: 14.01. 2007 09:14 »
I would put the front wheel in the forks and adjust the rim so it was in the middle and do the equivalant with the rear wheel to get that central in the frame.

Offline 1KCBC

• Songkhla,Thailand.
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 14.01. 2007 11:29 »
I agree with fido.
1951 A10GF,(looking for  A10 swinging-arm)

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 17.01. 2007 16:44 »
I, too, agree w/ Fido.
And always take photos and measurement data of the wheel before respoking.
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline Pollock

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 20.01. 2007 20:58 »
A spoke wrench in combination with a fish scale is a good way to get the tork on the spoke correct and even.
Got this off another list but I have tried it and must say it works.
My two cents on dishing...you have to realize you are getting this from a bobber guy not a restorer is you need the center of the front align with the center of the back...this avoids dogtailing. It also helps to find it centered to the bike...I also have a 1972 shovel head. Not balanced at all. Left turns are easy and right are tuff..
Pollock
Hi. I am new to this forum, but have had a 51 Gold flash in bits for 20 years. I am now rebuilding it and am currently working on the wheels. I have them respoked, and am happy enough with that part of the task, but now need to retension them. I understand that there are 4 aspects of this: round, true, "Dishing" and even spoke tension.

My question is regarding the "Dishing" aspect, which I believe is where the hub needs to be centred to the rim, or maybe even slightly off centre.

Is there someone who either knows what is required for a 51 A10 plunger frame, or can someone who has one measure the "dishing" for me, so that the bike will run in a straight line and not "crab" down the road for me please?

Would like to know how others have mastered this challenge. Thanks, Gavin.