Author Topic: RAC Recovery Warning  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
Re: RAC Recovery Warning
« Reply #30 on: 03.12. 2023 11:22 »
All very disconcerting! my RAC membership starts today!

Not sure about Rescuemycar now as their vehicle age limit is a bit confusing (up to 16, then 20, then 50 years??) - no good for me.  GEM look half decent.  Personal cover for Sue and me with 'pay and reclaim' is £98 minus £19.60 via Topcashback.  They cover vehicles of all ages with unlimited call outs, and specify that vehicles must have a valid MoT UNLESS exempt.  As with all breakdown companies, there are some negative comments but, so long as you're not stranded with no cover, in the freezing cold, with no access to local recovery agents contact details, and 200 miles from home, any assistance must be a good thing. :o :o :o

I reckon I'll give GEM a try and feedback on any issues.  First thing is, don't break down.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #31 on: 08.12. 2023 08:27 »
Only plan on taking it out for one year.

Found a Black Friday offer of 40% off and paid by Tesco clubcard on a double value offer offer so cost me bugger all.

Trouble is bugger all for bugger all does not such a good deal. Fortunately the cars are well provided for service wise and the classics are already covered under Peter James.
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 13.12. 2023 13:18 »
Got this message from Rescuemycar, followed by my response (grammar from Rescuemycar is as sent, by the way):

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the email.

We do not have any age limit for car cover in UK. If you are taking a personal base membership, the system will ask you to put at least one car just for main registration only.

However, I am afraid to say the vehicle we cover need to have MOT despite they are exempted.

If you would like to contact our Sales and Renewal team to discuss further, we open from Monday-Friday 9:00am-17.30pm on 01423 535795.

Kind Regards,

RescueMyCar.Com

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your email.

May I query your assertion that classic vehicles must have a MoT despite the fact that they are exempt from the annual MoT test.  In terms of maintenance, it is a well established fact that, for the most part, classic vehicle owners exceed the requirements of the MoT due to the valuable and cherished nature of the vehicles they drive.  In these cases, having a MoT would make no material difference to the reliability and safety of the vehicle, as most modern MoT standards are not applicable to classics.

Further  to this, I have spoken to one of your main competitors, GEM Motoring Assist, who make it clear in their terms that vehicles that are exempt from the MoT test are covered regardless.

Regards

Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #33 on: 13.12. 2023 14:16 »
Been though something similar with my MOT exempt Land Rover. Its actually impossible to get an MOT on an exempt vehicle.  The MOT test station has to type in the reg and its all on line.  They system is programmed not to accept an MOT exempt vehicle. I suspect becuse if it failed you could still drive off.
Ask them to notify you of an MOT test center near you that can test an MOT exempt vehicle. Then if they fail (as I expect) offer to get an Engineers Report. Since I am an Engineer and do my own servicing, I just wrote it myself.  This was not for recovery, but the issues were similar.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 13.12. 2023 14:30 »
Are you sure it's not possible to get an MoT on an exempt vehicle?  I ask because I know a couple of classic car owners who get an MoT to help satisfy their insurance companies' requirements. *dunno*

In any event, GEM seem to be one of the few companies that offer a good policy without charging an excess - would recommend checking them out.  You can pay £30 extra per year to avoid the reclaiming process but, hey, I'm a skinflint *smile*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #35 on: 13.12. 2023 15:24 »
MOT - I asked and was told its not possible using the MOT DoT system, it can't produce an MOT for an exempt vehicle as it has to be on the MOT database. But I'm sure a garage can conduct a voluntary inspection to the same standard and issue a paper confirmation of that, its just not an MOT.  Be interested to hear what they actually get done.  What you don't want is an MOT in the DoT system on an exempt vehicle because the legal standing of that is very dodgy.  If the vehicle deteriorates and fails one year can you drive it home and what is the status of your use on the road?  Do you then have to have a re-test and are you then locked into MOTs forever or can you opt out at some point?  If you sell does then new owner have to keep the MOTs up or can they drop them?
I strongly advice against "voluntary MOTS" but do agree with Engineer's reports on condition and safety.  I do biennial agreed value report on my vehicle with photos and evidence of work and servicing and this is submitted to the insurer as part of the agreed value policy.  But it is a condition report not an MOT test so legally its quite different.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 13.12. 2023 18:52 »
Hmm, very interesting.

In the reply to Rescuemycar, I suggested that they alert any classic vehicle owners that have their cover to check whether it suits their needs.  It was so hard to find information, I'm sure that there are going to be some owners who'll end up with a shock when recovery is declined.

It's a bit Catch 22, if you need an MoT but can't get one, then Rescuemycar are essentially putting an age limit on what they cover.

For us lot, I would avoid this company.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250