Author Topic: winter time rebuilds/chores  (Read 3115 times)

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
winter time rebuilds/chores
« on: 19.10. 2009 00:46 »
Well its getting cold here in NY - 40's for high this weekend and miserably rainy- i figure really only a few more weeks of riding left - since i have an unheated garage i am prepping everything for the winter and know the garage door will be closed for 2-3 month straight ( *sad2*) - wondering if anyone has plans over the winter for a rebuild we/i can watch via the web to occur etc to keep me from going crazy and buying another bike and rebuilding it in the basement and try to figure how to get it out in spring (at 5 bikes already its the last thing i really need!)

ok lets hear it  - what are U'er plans!?

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: winter time rebuilds/chores
« Reply #1 on: 19.10. 2009 03:28 »
We have just finished winter here. What a terrible time it was. We must have had frost on 6 occasions!
Even had to wear a heavy jacket while riding.
The shed was open almost every day though.
Trev.

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 19.10. 2009 07:32 »
We've got snow now, the bike is tucked up inside the outbuilding.
I've just got a few wee jobs.
I'm going to rework the mounting of the front mudguard (aesthetic).

and investigate insulating the fuel tank better. I was getting some bad vibration through it when backing off the throttle (hope thats all it is)

I need to adjust the position of the rear mudguard L brackets too. (They used to line up with my pipes, something went awry when fitting my new exhaust brackets)

I want to tidy up the handlebar wiring too.

She might get a chainguard this year. Anyone know who does them in stainless?

If I can get some B&Q gas taps here, I might see if I can have some non-weepy taps for next summer.

Sorry I keep posting pictures of it  because I'm pining!
The riding season is so short here maybe I should offer timeshare.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 19.10. 2009 09:05 »

The riding season is so short here maybe I should offer timeshare.
Cheers,
Iain

I know the feeling.  *sad2* I just checked and I've done just 706 miles on my A7 this year. We have had some good weather but nearly always on weekdays when I'm too busy working.

Offline Rusty nuts

• West Sussex
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 19.10. 2009 09:36 »
Mine is to figure out a way to fit a cranckcase breather pipe to the plunger without removing the engine/gearbox, thinking along the lines of limbo dancing with dental mirrors *smile*
Should of course have been done when rebuilding, but took advice from a certain well known engineering firm who told me a 60yr engine wouldn't be oil tight anyway.
Well actually it is, except of course for the oil coming out of the hole for the breather pipe, which is then free to run all over the place rather than just dripping on the drive. On the bright side at least that silencer won't rust & don't need to grease centre stand pivot bolts!

While I ponder this I have instead started my winter project, a star twin engine in a '47 rigid frame & hit problems already *problem*, fun fun,fun and it's only autumn *work*
1949 A7 Plunger
1947 A7 Rigid Star Twin
1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120V

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 19.10. 2009 10:29 »
except of course for the oil coming out of the hole for the breather pipe

Try something like this

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Rusty nuts

• West Sussex
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 19.10. 2009 10:53 »
Will do, but need to fit the pipe first.
Notice several people mention the breather exits/lubes chain but not on longcase engines, the pipe when fitted is secured by a p clip to one of the sump bolts.
Have two sets of cases with pipe intact.
1949 A7 Plunger
1947 A7 Rigid Star Twin
1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120V

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 19.10. 2009 13:50 »
great! - sounds like a few nice projects going on - i am going to try and take apart my spare non-sparking magneto, at least i can do that in the house  before i get frustrated and box all the bits up to a repair shop

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 19.10. 2009 14:08 »
Aw, geez...where do I start...I've got a B40 that's pretty much completely rebuilt and restored but just refuses to start...my A50 has a bad stutter...my A10 vibrates like a washing machine with a bag of potatoes in it on full spin ...need to fabricate rearsets for the Rickman...get my A65 racer back up to snuff for next season....same with my C15 flattracker...and start building the A7 roadracer: anybody got a spare rigid frame? 

Whew!  Just that list has me exhausted!
Alex

Too many BSA's

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #9 on: 19.10. 2009 14:35 »
1/ Need to get the Star Twin front wheel rebuilt using M20 parts, hub and internals etc build chrome rim with galv spokes etc and then make up a front brake rod for the Girder forks...

2/ I have an M20/21 barrel that someone had bored out to 750cc and need to find some rings for the piston, also sort out a larger carb and then fit the whole set up. I'm creeping away from originality here but the curiosity to hear and experience an M21 with such a big thump is too much to resist.

3/ Might just make a start on building a civilian early forties M20 too if I can get a frame number.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 19.10. 2009 16:32 »
you guys are making me jealous

damn i need a heated garage (or a heated set of work coveralls)

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 19.10. 2009 19:30 »
Tombeau, some while back I spent a year on and off in Finland at the Nokian Paperi plant near Tampere, so I know about the long winters there. Here in the deep SW England it may not snow at all some years so it's possible to get a few miles in during relatively nice days.
Myself, I have to carry on with my A10 to RGS conversion, Jeez, what a lot of changes! I've just about modified the frame and will get the engine and geabox stripped and rebuilt over the winter.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 19.10. 2009 20:09 »
Alan,

The Finns joke "If you can ride all year; when do you rebuild your bikes?".
I'm a fair bit further north but I know guys with British bikes in the Tampere area.

Cheers,
Iain

Offline old PJ

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 29.10. 2009 22:20 »
Here in the uk we have mild weather at the moment but looking out my workshop window the leaves are changing colour fast and i have loads to do in my workshop my BSA C11 is going to need some work and i have got loads of parts to sort out from autojumbles from the summer just spares to get ready for next year. My A10 is nearly done i had to rebuild the engine after 73.000 miles and 19 years of riding she was in a bad way when i got the engine apart all worn out and the magneto was very worn and had to have a rebuild but its been worth it after all the years of riding to places and more to come in the next 19 years. Has anybody fitted a wood burner stove in their workshop as my workshop gets cold in the winter and it might be a good idea to fit one.

Old PJ

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #14 on: 30.10. 2009 15:09 »
I'm going to have another bash at fitting the flanged type full width cast iron [A65?] front wheel. - again.

This has got me stumped, I can fit the TLS brake plate into the ordinary A10 cast iron full width hub and all is well. But when I try to fit an A10 spindle into the flanged hub and bung it all back together, the TLS brake plate ends up too close to the fork leg and it wont fit - despite all the dims for the hubs being exactly the same. The only difference in the hubs is that one has a spoke flange on the brakeplate side and the original A10 one doesnt. - unless I am missing something.

I'm even thinking of offering the wife as reward to anyone who can solve the puzzle...   *conf*
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300