Author Topic: SRM Pressure Relief Valve  (Read 4934 times)

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: SRM Pressure Relief Valve
« Reply #15 on: 02.11. 2009 09:49 »
I see the link to my old valve comments page, the "round'top" came from SRM, no thread problems, and has been in use for 6 or 7 years. But I seem to remember swapping the provided fibre washer into a slightly thinner one.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #16 on: 05.11. 2009 13:51 »
I had a response from the nice man at SRM.

They sent me a different PRV with a letter explaining that they had tried several PRVs in various cases they have in the workshop.

They said that their PRV was made by CNC to the correct spec, and that they had discovered that theirs would screw into all the plunger cases OK, but was tight in all SA cases that they tried. They said that in their opinion, the tooling used by BSA had worn over the years so that the thread in the later BSA cases was slightly undersize.

Obviously the thing to do,- which I didnt, not knowing about this, is to run a Plug tap down the thread as Richard and others have done during a re-build.

The PRV they sent me is a few thou smaller, and I will try it when I can be arsed. They have offered to re-fund me if it doesnt fit which is good of them.

Also, new Stainless Steel PRVs to the std ball design are available at the moment.

End of Message
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 05.11. 2009 17:55 »
Andy, where are the SS ball PRVs available from? I can't imagine it being SRM since that would kind of clash with their plunger PRV sales pitch.
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 05.11. 2009 21:22 »
SRM sell both types, I believe the plunger type is for A50/65 but fits A7/A10, could be wrong on this but I think that was the case when I bought mine from them. I bought the plunger type and have it in my A10 - which is still to be fired up, - one of these days *whistle*

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline The General

• Southern Michigan USA
  • Moving Up
  • Yellow Jacket Beeza
« Reply #20 on: 06.11. 2009 15:50 »
I see on the British Cycle Supply website an SRM PRV that has a popup to indicate pressure release point has been reached.
Part number 70-2795/SS (my price sheet shows $89.00 seems a bit high).
Anybody have any experience with that one?
1962 Super Rocket

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 15.11. 2009 10:58 »
ill tell you what thou i had a bit of trouble getting the old one out couldn't find a socket to fit the
bolt head that went into the crankcase i tried grinding the edges of the socket to make it fit
i ended up taking the bike to a local engineering shop the guy got a big hammer and punch and with
one blow the bolt came out he was a biker and i offered him a go on her he came back with a big grin
on his face i can understand why there a great bike and what a lovely sound they make  *smile*