Bikes, Pictures, Stories & more > Other BSAs, Other Bikes, Cars, Machinery & Tools

My first car.

(1/10) > >>

muskrat:
G'day Fellas.
Brought across from the rattle gun thread.
 G'day Jules.
My first car was a 1961 Beetle. The flywheel nut is done to 250Lb'in. I "borrowed" a impact wrench from work (we had VW motors as compressors). Then I lent it to someone, never to be seen again!
The compensating nut (same as our 65ft/lb cush nut) on the HD is done to 150ft/lb.
Cheers

--- Quote from: sean on 29.02. 2024 19:49 ---
--- Quote from: muskrat on 29.02. 2024 09:06 ---G'day Jules.
My first car was a 1961 Beetle. The flywheel nut is done to 250Lb'in. I "borrowed" a impact wrench from work (we had VW motors as compressors). Then I lent it to someone, never to be seen again!
The compensating nut (same as our 65ft/lb cush nut) on the HD is done to 150ft/lb.
Cheers

--- End quote ---
I worked at a VW dealership in 1967 a new beetle then was $1200.00 CDN and the deluxe with the 1500 cc  and more chrome was $1500.00 CDN
great little car only 4 bolts held the motor in .

--- End quote ---
G'day Sean.
I bought it about 6 months before I got my license in 1977 for $750. Rebuilt the 1100 motor to a 1400 with twin port heads, twin Webers, Wade cam and almost every moving part, a lot of which was borrowed from work. Had just started to turn it into a Baja Bug when a P plater ran a stop sign and wrote it off.  *sad*
I took the back of the back seat out and padded it all with shag pile carpet and curtains on the windows. The first Beetle shagin' wagon  *eek*
Cheers

orabanda:
Well done Musky!
My first car was also a 1961 Beetle; purchased to convert into a shooting buggy on the plains of Mt Carnage Station. However, as a young student it became my wheels for the next three years, followed by several Type 3's.
Mind you, there was a growing collection of 2 stroke Yamahas in the shed, and an old BSA A10 given to me by my dad.
It was a rusty, heavy old bike; the seat reduced to springs, and I used to wonder; could it be rebuilt, and what would it be like to ride?
The rest, as they say, is history........

Richard

sean:
they were fine in summer but cold up here in winter because the heat from the exh had to travel through the body ....had to scrape the inside of the windshield on cold days ,there were gas heater options from hupp and Eberspacher I believe the hupp was originally for a helicopter .
the reserve lever on the floor was a great idea .

orabanda:
The fuel gauge was an optional extra. Otherwise there was a 300 mm piece of broomstick to use as dip stick, and a reserve tap to the left of the clutch.

Bsareg:
My first car was a 1937 7/8hp Jowett saloon, bought for £8 before the days of compulsory testing. 800cc side valve twin opposed cylinders of sheer power. Quickly updated to a morris J2 van.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version