Author Topic: Clutch  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
Clutch
« on: 27.10. 2009 21:12 »
Hi, I've just fitted an SRM pressure plate and the very narrow bearing pusher, the clutch is very light feels great but the only trouble is the "biting point" is very high, as if I'm almost out of clutch, I had new friction plates about 500 miles ago, any ideas, cheers Tone.  By the way I did follow the instructions and not tightened up the springs too tight so there was about 1 coil showing, as instructed.

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: Clutch
« Reply #1 on: 27.10. 2009 22:26 »
Did you shorten the push rod? And have you adjusted the operating lever so that it is parallel when the clutch is fully disengaged? I have fitted the same parts to my clutch and I am very pleased with the way it operates. Neutral is easy to locate both on the move and while stationary. Initially I thought the operation was a bit heavy, but this was due to cable routing once I had sorted that out the clutch was as you say very light and smooth. An excellent and very worth while mod in my opinion.

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 28.10. 2009 08:10 »
Yes I've done all of the above, run out of ideas.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.10. 2009 14:29 »
HI Tone
Have you checked the pushrod actuating gizmo inside the g/box inspection cover to see if it is inline with the clutch cable arm, this is on a fine spline and its not unknown for it to have been moved to compensate for some other shortcoming in the mechanism!!
Do you have standard handlebar levers?
By any chance is the nut on the end of the gearbox mainshaft (inside the g/boxinspection cover) loose?
allowing the mainshaft to move away from the actuating arm
Do not overtighten this nut asit will crush the bush inside the kickstart ratchet!!
HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)