Author Topic: Brake lever  (Read 3294 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Brake lever
« Reply #15 on: 10.11. 2009 18:30 »
G'day Gavin,
                 they mean the lever on the brake plate.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 10.11. 2009 18:35 »
Ah sorry Gavin, my fault, for lever read brake arm.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #17 on: 10.11. 2009 22:08 »
Gavin, here is a drawing of the correct brake stay strap. I'm no draftsman but hopefully you can make sense of it. If you dont want to make one I am sure C@D's or one of the parts suppliers would have one.

Dont alter any brake arms or anything until you get the correct one of these fitted. Once you have this sorted put the brake arm on so that it is at about 225 degrees (half way between pointing straight down and level). You will probably need to adjust the point that the adjuster goes through so it points directly at the end of the brake lever (loosen the nut and turn it). You only need the adjuster at the bottom, none at the top.

Brian.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #18 on: 11.11. 2009 06:29 »
as per A10GF's image but taken to show the brake stay better. These are actually on a plunger B series, but the same...
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 11.11. 2009 06:46 »
Thanks for all the info so far. I have fallen about the floor laughing at myself. Once I get over that I'll try fliping the brake arm Bill. Thanks for the dimensions Brian. The strut on my brake is an inch shorter than your measurments. So I am Guessing that I might once again have found another part that was on the bike when i originally got it, and am now finding it's not a plunger part, but could well be from a swinging arm. Thanks for the eagle eyes that can spot that sort of detail.

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 12.11. 2009 14:50 »
Bill, the flip certainly helps. But I am sure my braking will be marginal at best till I give it a chance to bed in. I have been able to remove the extra adjuster on the lever, and some time soon I'll set about getting a proper length brace for the brake. but i cannot see how that will improve anything much, other than the 2 bolts taking the brake load to the front fork, wher mine has only one at present. yes i can see that all the angles will change in appearance, but as the brake adjustment and the brake lever base are in exactly the same relative location to each other, it won't matter what place they line up on the "Clock" as it were... well that's how i see it. now to see if i need an award for bravery for daring to think this way... hear from you soon. thanks.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 12.11. 2009 16:48 »
Good, I'm having a few front brake problems myself so have been through some of these moves including cutting a inch of an expensive cable ( a65 cable with brake   incorporated) only to find once everything has settled I need the inch of cable back -  *red*

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 12.11. 2009 21:51 »
yes i can see that all the angles will change in appearance, but as the brake adjustment and the brake lever base are in exactly the same relative location to each other, it won't matter what place they line up on the "Clock" as it were... well that's how i see it.

Gavin,
 By changing the length of the torque arm (brace)the brake plate will revolve one way or the other. As you say this will not change the relative location of anything attatched to the brake plate.But it definately WILL change the angle that your brake cable meets the operating lever (which was way out in your photo to begin with).This is most important to get the best from your brake.
However , in your case fitting the correct longer torque arm wont benefit you (it might make it worse)unless you have the correct length cable . As I said earlier you need to obtain an angle of about 80 degrees between cable and operating lever to get the maximum mechanical advantage.
Mike

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #23 on: 13.11. 2009 10:39 »

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 13.11. 2009 14:14 »
Thanks Brian. after a very slow start on the net tonight i have finally tracked a cheaper new one down from Dragnfly.

Mike, don't stress too much. I Have had the bike apart for about 30 years, and just rode it for the first time ever tonight, round the back yard. there's no way I'm going to need huge braking power before the correct part arrives and in the meanwhile i'll get a chance to let things bed in a bit. i suspect the brake pads have swollen a bit, if that's possible. had them relined 20 odd years back, and they have been sitting in the shed since. so i'm not going to go a breakneck speed till i feel confident on the old girl, and have had a chance to get it sorted. but this is the long awaited starting point for the road testing aspects. so your comments are all good grist for a very slow working novice here.