Author Topic: Head gasket  (Read 2838 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Head gasket
« Reply #15 on: 02.04. 2021 04:45 »
As my original composite head gasket question is about to slip from recent posts after 3x "Another Scam," 2x "Spineless Boris, " and 6x "Corona Virus" comments, I figure I should try to ask it again to see if anyone cares to opine. When using a composite head gasket, is there a prefered direction for the formed seams - towards the barrels or towards the head?

Richard L.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #16 on: 02.04. 2021 06:57 »
If you have an alloy head, put the seams towards the barrel. Don't want to mark the softer alloy. With an iron head, it doesn't matter.
Now about scams, spineless Boris and coronavirus...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 02.04. 2021 21:56 »
Thanks, BS. I was starting to wonder if I'd been group ghosted. My A7 is an iron head. I think I'll put the seam upward based on the unsubstantiatable (first time I've ever used that word) assumption that the head is not as flat as the barrels and the seam will help with that.

Richard L.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 02.04. 2021 23:19 »
Hi Richard,
Is the gasket a new repro or an old stock item ?
I remember in times past when car engines had copper/asbestos gaskets they were usually marked "top"
If I am correct it was lip up
I know from the BSA C10/11/12 forum that the modern composite gaskets are crap and blow after a few miles in spite of re tightening  after the initial heat cycle
Either way I prefer solid copper gaskets.. Lani at Copper gaskets unlimited (Arizona) ,,  coppergasket63 on eBay
makes bespoke gaskets at very reasonable rates

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 03.04. 2021 00:17 »
John,

I should have asked sooner, like a year-and-a-half when I ordered my first composite gasket. I put it aside and barely looked at it. A few weeks ago I sprayed it with copper, still without paying enough attention. I went to put it on the barrels and, no-voila, it's for an A50. (Reeeally asleep at the wheel because they don't look alike). Searched and searched for who sold it to me so I could complain about it if not return it. No joy. Can't figure out where I bought it. Maybe a swap meet. Found a solid one advertised as A7. Nope, showed up as A10. Maybe I'll keep it for the A10. Found the current composite version from a reputable seller. It didn't look very new, having respectable shelf tarnish. I suspect this new build will come apart before too long because I'm rolling the dice on piston clearance (being a bit too big). Obviously the composite won't be reused. Figured I'd have to settle for an A10 gasket, but will definitely follow your advice on one of the suggested sources for bespoke.

Richard L.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #20 on: 03.04. 2021 06:48 »
If you use an A10 gasket, the small gap around the top of the bores will soon fill with carbon. Had to do that 40,000 miles ago on my A7...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep