Author Topic: 1952 BSA A10 plunger Flash  (Read 1522 times)

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
1952 BSA A10 plunger Flash
« on: 08.11. 2009 04:47 »
Hi
Am back again with some stupid questions on my 1952 BSA A10 Plunger Flash which is fast nearing restoration. My query is that when the cam shaft is installed & the cases tightened up, there is an end float 0f almost 3 mm. However, when I tighten the cam gear, the play disappears but the camshaft is pulled towards the timing side.My query is:
1) Is the 3 mm end float OK before installation of gear?
2) What is specified end float when assembled.
3) What is the correct method for installation?

I need to finish this pronto as my Super Rocket is next

Looking forward to any advise
Anji
Pune, India

Offline Josh Cox

• Valued Contributor
Re: 1952 BSA A10 plunger Flash
« Reply #1 on: 08.11. 2009 05:54 »
Anji,

I asked that very question not too long ago, the answer was:

When the cases are joined, the cam will float.

When the breather with cork washer is fitted, the end play will disappear.

The cork washer / breather pushes the cam and pinion hard up against the bush, i.e. no end play.

When I put my case together and mounted the cam cog/pinion, I had about .022 end play.

If you look in the Haynes manual they quote .004, but thats all rubbish, the cork washer does the job : http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/Joshuacox_2006/?action=view&current=08AUG09025.jpg
Black 1953 Golden Flash Plunger

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 08.11. 2009 17:24 »
Hi Anji,
To me 3mm sounds a lot!, (0.120in.)
Presuming that the faces of the cam bushes (shoulders) look ok and are not worn away?
What Josh says is correct,
As a final check before completing the assembly I would check that the cams are running fairly centerally on the followers, as this is the most important point,
It would not do if one of the cam lobes was touching the follower next to it *eek* *eek*
Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #3 on: 09.11. 2009 07:58 »
Hi Josh & John

Thanks for your prompt response & advise. When the cam wheel is tightened up, the end float is almost negligible. I will try your suggestion of measuring the relative positions of the cams & followers, John & let you have a feedback soon.

There is one other query regarding the rear crinkle hub. The parts list shows a thin spacer behind the sprocket side bearing which abuts the long spacer tube between the inner races. My bike does not have this & I just cant see how this will fit in as the hub has two steps on each side on which the bearings outer races abut
Any help would be very appreciated.

Take care

Anji

Offline Josh Cox

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 09.11. 2009 12:49 »
Anji,

Do you have Sealed Bearings ?, a number of changes appear to occur when you remove the old bearings and replace with sealed bearings, did the wheels work OK before you pulled them down ?.

Others on this site will definately know more than me on this, and near all other items, but I did notice spacers and felt washer were not in my wheels when my wheel guy worked his magic.
Black 1953 Golden Flash Plunger

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #5 on: 09.11. 2009 17:50 »
Hi Josh
The bike was running fine till it was laid up outside in the Bombay monsoons for 15 years. Iam using the standard non sealed bearings which are available here. Will keep you informed on proceedings. Thanks a ton
Take care
Anji