Author Topic: Conversion RGS to Tourer  (Read 1302 times)

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
Conversion RGS to Tourer
« on: 08.11. 2009 09:24 »
I am seriously thinking of buying a A10 RGS rep which is in clubmans trim clipons etc. It looks super but I suspect clipons etc will be to much for me. How much effort is it to convert to a tourer?

PS I assume with the reversed gear lever it is 1 down 3 up? (bit of a pain if changing back to the plunger). Did they ever fit them with gear linkage to keep to the std 1 up 3 down?

Thanks

Nigeldtr
1951 Golden Flash (engine now rebuilt) 1953 M21 a pain to start and 1961 GF that is turning into a black hole!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Conversion RGS to Tourer
« Reply #1 on: 08.11. 2009 09:45 »
A reverse cam plate will solve that problem. i have 4 bikes with 3 different configs. Usually sort it out by the first stop sign. You might need longer cables for the high bars.
Cheers.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 08.11. 2009 09:56 »
Hi Nigel,

If I'm reading your post correctly there should be no problem converting this bike back to touring mode. *smile*  Obviously conventional handlebars will be required with (possibly) longer control cables.

Now, am I correct in presuming that you intend keeping the rear-set footpegs??  If so, I would imagine that you would get a very uncomfortable touring position with higher bars.  However, replacing the rearsets with the original footpegs and gear lever would automatically put the gear selection back to one up and three down and give a much better riding position for touring.  This is presuming that the guy who converted the bike didn,t fit a reverse camplate in the gearbox when he did the rear-set conversion. ????

Check to see which way round the gear selection is before you buy!! ;)

Beezageezauk.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #3 on: 08.11. 2009 15:39 »
Converting to touring trim is simple enough. You did not mention weather or not the bike is fitted with a steel tank, if it isn't the cost of getting one might make your eyes water a bit (about £300 + the cost of painting). The top fork covers most widely available are A50/A65 ones (identified by an elongated slot for fixing the headlamp in place as opposed to a bolt sized hole). Other than that there is not a lot to do. I carried out this conversion when I bought mine, and I still ride  it with the rear set foot rests fitted. It is perfectly comfortable. Originally I had planned to remove the rear sets and fit touring foot rests, but I could not find the correct brake pedal. My gearbox has the standard camplate, so my change is as per Triumph (one down and three up). Just be aware that it will cost a few bob. You could always remove the clip ons and fit standard handle bars for the time being.

Offline nigeldtr

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 08.11. 2009 16:16 »
Thanks for the replies, it is fitted with a steel tank and rear sets so i would probably want to change to std foot rests if possible. I 'll check on the camplate, I was unaware of this - still learning!

Thanks
1951 Golden Flash (engine now rebuilt) 1953 M21 a pain to start and 1961 GF that is turning into a black hole!

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 08.11. 2009 16:40 »
Hi Nigel,
To help with identifying the gear setup, gearboxes made for the reverse camplate have two positions for the index plunger, top and bottom,
STD boxes only have one hole at the bottom
If the plunger is in the bottom hole then it has the standard camplate, (lever forward,1 up 3 down)
Plunger in the top hole in the gearbox is for reverse pattern camplate (lever facing back, 1 up 3 down)

Any other permutations have been the efforts of previous owners (bodgers!)

This information is from my own experiences with the gearboxes that I have worked on
HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)