Author Topic: The road rocket racing sidecar project  (Read 38428 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
The road rocket racing sidecar project
« on: 10.11. 2009 09:05 »
Quietly progressing for a competition entry beg of Feb 2010 - A 1955 A10RR styled on the 1955 daytona shooting stars that were built by Roland Pike using Rigid all welded goldstar frames.
My frame is a replica (BB32R) as it will be doing some hard work. But have stuck to the factory drawings and using BSA parts where ever possible to create an authentic rolling chassis. It will be a traditional sitter style. Sidecar chassis should be on in the next two weeks. Lots to do!
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: The road rocket racing sidecar project
« Reply #1 on: 10.11. 2009 09:39 »

Looks great!

I take it that you already know of Myles Raymond's sites:

http://www.beezanet.com/daytona/default.htm

http://beezagent.blogspot.com/

What tyres are those?
Cheers,
Iaioon

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 11.11. 2009 04:49 »
The Daytona bikes seem to be so poorly recognised, its good some are preserving the legacy.
My own bike cannot claim any such provenance as it is a model BSA never made. Simply an interesting and pretty special I want to build and will be proud to own and race. An A10RR in the same goldie frame type as the Daytona A7's were. And of course mine is intended as a racing sidecar, so needs sidecar lugs and other amendments. However if there had been side cars at daytona, I like to think my interpretation is something the factory might have cooked up from the parts bin.
My tyres are 16" Dunlop sidecar racing tyres shod on alloy 16x2.5" rims.
The Daytona bikes would have had the crinkle hub QD rear wheel but I thought this was a bit fragile for the nature of side car racing which is very hard on wheels (and forks and frames and brakes and...), so have opted for the full width alloy BSA/Ariel rear hubs used on A10 from 1956. (On my previous Norton outfit, I had a Triumph front hub crack)
The forks are BSA (A65) but we are making fresh sliders which will carry a leading axle (to reduce trail) and a substantial fork brace to stiffen them up. The intention is to use BSA parts where ever possible and build a machine that could have existed in the period.  I will be fitting a locally made daytona style oil tank, but the bike will run a dunlop trials type saddle rather than a humped race seat.
I managed to find a bobbed mudguard off a Royal Star which will go on the rear wheel which will need to be fully valanced for my passengers safety. I hope to have pictures of it evolution over coming months...
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 25.01. 2010 06:25 »
Two weeks to go, have had to borrow a motor (big thanks to Ian!) so we can focus on completing the rolling chassis.
Still too many loose ends...
New Zealand

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #4 on: 27.01. 2010 22:04 »
Nice looking project, it has reminded me of this video of a cracking race at olivers mount in yorkshire. It`s a bit of a random choice being a triumph, but great to watch
                                                                         cheers, Rich
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LM3PyGvhwg&feature=related
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 27.01. 2010 22:59 »
Are you sure that sidecar is big enough for a grand piano?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcsg-TImc9o

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 28.01. 2010 20:05 »
Great clip Rich, loved the slides out of corners and the wheelie onto the finish straight.
And thats a GRAND piano with a Bass.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #7 on: 28.01. 2010 21:20 »
Olivers mount is a great little circuit which is public road in parkland when not in use. What the video doesn`t show is how tight the hairpin at the end of the start straight is, and how steep the following climb is. I know this because i was on holiday up there a couple of years ago and i drove round in the wifes car, although she didn`t appreciate me trying to get into third gear going up the hill!   nuff said....
                                                                      Rich   
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 12.02. 2010 01:39 »
We got it going, plenty of minor refinement to be done, but steers and brakes well.  *beer*
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 12.02. 2010 04:26 »
G'day RR,
             Great to see. Looks the goods. I know you'll be looking for more horses, we (racers) all do. Took me 8 years of development to get 120 MPH out of the A7 only to be beat by a A50. With a chair on the side you'd be after torque.
 That fork brace looks as if it would do the job. Well done, waiting for race results.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #10 on: 12.02. 2010 08:54 »
 *ex* Congrats and admiration.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 12.02. 2010 22:28 »
Thanks guys, it certainly got a lot of attention in the pits. We only finished one race, I was conscious I had a mate's borrowed small jnl motor fitted and a thin flange barrel, but through the faster corners the rig was drifting very predictably and tracked nice and straight at slow speeds in the pits with no head shaking. I'm a happy man, best toy I've ever had! just need a super rocket for the road as a test bed for engine development...Might have to sell the B50 *sad2*.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 07.03. 2010 22:22 »
Thanks to Terry Mustchin who posted this photo of my rig online. kewl... Shows off my doubled up single sided 8" brakes well!
New Zealand

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #13 on: 08.03. 2010 16:20 »
Great photo, great bike (and courageous riders !)

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 09.03. 2010 04:45 »
Thankyou, a nice outcome of getting the bike racing was a pit conversation that has highlighted some parts for sale including most of a '55 A10 and a pile of odds and sods including an alloy head with twin carbs (specs unknown). Just need to convince the treasurer and I may have enough to not only have parts support for my race bike but also a solo roadster in some trim, possibly as a street scrambler/flat tracker but with a decent front brake. hmmm *respect*
New Zealand