Author Topic: Road Rocket project  (Read 384 times)

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
Road Rocket project
« on: 11.09. 2023 19:30 »
I thought it was about time I updated on my 1956 RR project....
I posted this earlier this year:-

"I am starting to gather the bits together for this year's project, a 1956 Road Rocket. I have decided to nick the engine out of my RGS copy as that has the correct stampings for the year then I'll build a DA10R engine for the RGS copy so both bikes will look correct(ish). I think I've got everything I need so it's just a case of putting things in piles for chrome plating, powder coating, zinc plating, and two pack. I have a mate who will paint the tinware. Heavy stuff, for powder coating, gets farmed out. Hoping to have it done by autumn. I bought some chrome mudguards from India which have turned out to be dreadful but I'll see if I can do something with them. If I can't I'll either use standard guards painted red or Gold Star guards from Autocycle."

No chance of having it done by the autumn as, thankfully, life is still getting in the way! But, I've just got the black bits back from the powder coaters and the frame's been strapped to the wooden toolbox on wheels, which is how all my projects start. Is sometime next year a reasonable target?

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Road Rocket project
« Reply #1 on: 11.09. 2023 20:22 »
G'day Andrew.
Nice but did you forget to send the swingarm in the powder coat pile?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 12.09. 2023 12:30 »
G'day Andrew.
Nice but did you forget to send the swingarm in the powder coat pile?
Cheers
No, I just got the swinging arm blasted as the powder coating process can wreck the silentblocs. If  need to extract the silentblocs because they're knackered I replace with solid bronze bushes, but these look very good so I'll leave them alone and paint the swinging arm with rattle cans or get my mate to two-pack it.

Offline Catz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 12.09. 2023 15:07 »
or get my mate to two-pack it.
Now then Andrew, is your mate Lurgy who'll do the paint? I asked you if you knew him at the Swettie one night and you said you did. He did the paint on my oil tank, tool box and mudguards. I rattle canned the frame.
Crewe, Cheshire, England 1960 A10

Offline CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 12.09. 2023 17:32 »
I know Lurgy, but my mate is the guy at 'Ride and restore' at Adlington.