Author Topic: The road rocket racing sidecar project  (Read 38433 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: The road rocket racing sidecar project
« Reply #30 on: 11.09. 2010 13:01 »
Just being stupidly curious. There is a number on your front engine mount plate which looks like it begins with "NNZ". I that part of vehicle registration for New Zealand?

Richard L.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #31 on: 12.09. 2010 01:24 »
Thats a "Motorcycling New Zealand" (MNZ) id plate. All sidecars raced in NZ must have an id plate and a logbook recording the bikes details and race history.
The bikes not registered for road use, although if it was it may have a small "VIN" vehicle identification number plate on the frame, if recently re-registered from scratch.

Just being stupidly curious. There is a number on your front engine mount plate which looks like it begins with "NNZ". I that part of vehicle registration for New Zealand?

Richard L.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #32 on: 12.09. 2010 04:13 »
Don't know how it works in NZ, but if you were over here I'd put it on club plates. *eek*. The cafe is basically my old racer with head & tail lights and guards.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 13.09. 2010 06:27 »
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline JohnH

• Moving Up
  • 1959 Golden Flash swingarm
« Reply #34 on: 13.09. 2010 09:35 »
That's one very pretty outfit .... Well done Rocket Racer. Look forward to seeing you at the front of the queue!!

John
Triumph Bonneville - long gone (sadly)
AJS 16MS - keeps coming back (thank goodness)
BSA B31 - also long gone
Greeves 250 twin (good fun)
Francis Barnett 197 (first bike)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 29.09. 2010 02:18 »
The weather finally cleared enough yesterday to test run at a mates with a long sealed driveway.
Clutch slip made starting difficult, so we resorted to a tow. Took quite a wile to get one cylinder to chime in, accompanied with the enchanting smell of methanol and castor oil. A bit of throttle cable and carb fettling and both cylinders were up and the engine was mechanically quiet and felt lovely and sharp.
The exhaust joints weren't good enough and blew oily residue everywhere, but I was still grinning like a lunatic. No unwanted clunks, knocks or rattles...
a minor oil leak from an oil line off the oil tank and had a few nice runs.
So need to sort the clutch, clean and seal the exhausts, and should be ready for a longer run up.
New Zealand

Offline andy2565

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #36 on: 29.09. 2010 09:25 »
you could always try a burt monroe up the beech ! thats if you are a kiwi at home.
near wolves uk,will keep riding as long as can stay upright,tribsa,tt500,2xJAP grasstrackers+jawa.gold flash.triumph metisse,and others.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #37 on: 29.09. 2010 14:27 »
Good to hear she's a goer. Fine tuning time. I luv that smell so I add a little castor to my petrol so others can too, funny how they sit behind for a while before overtaking (if they can). Can't help with the clutch, maybe Orabanda can.
Why not install the kicker, till your racing. I thought chairs were allowed kickers, solos aren't.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 29.09. 2010 22:27 »

Why not install the kicker, till your racing. I thought chairs were allowed kickers, solos aren't.
Cheers

The issue with kickers is that its another somewhere oil can leak. Unlike solo's we get a lot of oil surge from side to side within the motor. Its not unknown for bikes on say an anticlockwise circuit to quietly fill the timing cases as the oils being pushed sideways and that can be problematic. My Norton retained a kicker and it always left an oil weap on the zorst by race end.
I've removed the kick start mechanism and plugged it.

I'm also running an upper cyl lube in the methanol. But I do love that smell  *respect*

I suspect I'm short a clutch plate in the basket...ooh er that doesnt sound good *doh*
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: 20.05. 2011 06:47 »
Just had a mate ring me to tell me I've apparently made copy in the May/June Classic Racer copy #149 on my bored and stroked 750 A10rr while racing at Pukekohe!
Would be great if it was actually bored and stroked and not just a stock motor with +20 pistons going as quickly as we could on methanol and castor oil.
Still we managed to embarrass an 850 commando kneeler and some 70's triumph kneelers with 5 speed boxes.
Must find a newsagent and source a copy!
New Zealand

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #40 on: 20.05. 2011 19:49 »
Good one RR, will check the newsagent when the sun comes up.
Crop the chair off, tilt the bike 45 degrees, yep you'll make a good solo racer too  *smile*
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 20.05. 2011 21:32 »
Good one RR, will check the newsagent when the sun comes up.
Crop the chair off, tilt the bike 45 degrees, yep you'll make a good solo racer too  *smile*
Cheers

As the rigs a bolt on, technically I'd need to change the wheels back from 16", fit some normal fork springs, stock sliders to bring the trail back and put on a side stand. The thought has crossed my mind more than once.
My other thought was to build a second one as a solo! the rigid frame saves so much weight it helps offset the spare tyre round my waist. Sadly finances preclude this without a lotto win.
My hack solo parts are slowly being collected, but still money to be spent getting the outfits cyl head right and also want to fit a joe hunt mag so the slow burning methanol all gets burnt. I think my modern lectronic bt-h has too short a spark duration (will put that on the road hack on petrol).
But do love my training wheel on the a10, no worries with losing traction, its always drifting...the skinny tyres just cant get enough grip, its a real hoot. We need to get you onto a race chair! might need to get you cross the ditch sometime  *beer*
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 20.05. 2011 21:42 »
One big mistake I did make was painting the bike with acrylic lacquer, hadn't realised that methanol makes this paint type bleach white if spilt.
The engine plates got nasty very quickly so have just had them electroless nickeled. provides a really neat finish while not as flashy as chrome.

I'm very tempted to see if the solo frame will fit in their plating bath too (time and finances permitting)!
The nice thing about it is you get an even coating unlike electroplating, so this could be done on anything...The Indian fours had electroless nickeled barrels and heads, but I am considering doing more cycle parts on the bike.

Must admit I like it as a finish.
New Zealand

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #43 on: 20.05. 2011 21:56 »
Looking at the pic I would need to put rollers on my toosh !
Till they build a bridge or tunnel I'm stuck here, don't like planes or boats  *doh*.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 20.05. 2011 22:25 »
Looking at the pic I would need to put rollers on my toosh !
Till they build a bridge or tunnel I'm stuck here, don't like planes or boats  *doh*.
Cheers

My crewman Mark sticks a knee slider on his! He had velcro sewn onto his leathers specially. He takes it off when racing his solo race bike, it seems to work quite well.
sidecars are hard on crew leathers as they do tend to spend time skimming the track surface with various body parts.

If they built a bridge we'd all be over there for that weather of yours. Mind you we might pipe some of our surplus water supply across it if you needed it. 
New Zealand