Author Topic: The road rocket racing sidecar project  (Read 38500 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: The road rocket racing sidecar project
« Reply #75 on: 26.05. 2012 06:05 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa1FqfPuUGw&feature=colike

one of the helmet cam footages from Taupo as posted by my trusty crewman if anyones interested. Probably our worst race of the weekend. The tacho is an 8k unit so when I'm checking it from time to time, typically when I know the revs are up ;) , the 9 o'clock position marker reference point which can be seen is 7000rpm.
sound is very quiet, so turn it up!

not sure who took the following, but its from the same meeting...
http://youtu.be/ujG4Z1qBaME
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #76 on: 29.09. 2012 01:22 »
Raced again last weekend at Taupo again, had dropped the gearing further so able to use top gear, comfortably the quickest 650 racing, although partially due to the tight track as we're unfaired and the bike is light.
Racing at hampton downs labour weekend (late oct), then due to replace the rods. Intending to do a short rod conversion and fit A65 rods and modify one of the barrels to suit.
May even be time to fit the 358 cam, but then that may make it harder to glean the difference of the rod revision, so may not  *conf* do that yet.

Both my crewman and one of the other 650's crew ran helmet cams, so looking forward to seeing the footage, In one case we theoretically have footage of us having a very close racing incident with another rig and taking evasive action involving some 2 wheeling. If its any good will follow up with a link to utube.
Had three close calls, got rammed by a beemer R90 (their crew was the meat in the sandwich) (our lap times were the same but they were quicker on the straights), put my crewman into a traffic cone laying on the track (heard it and saw it bouncing gracefully over him ;) ) then had to take evasive on a corner where a rig had some issues ahead of us then ran wide as we were going round him. A great weekend.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #77 on: 29.09. 2012 07:18 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDX571L0024

taken from an A65, Bender features...2nd race 4 kicks in around 7 minutes
New Zealand

Offline JulianM

• A's Good Friend
  • www.historiccompetitionservices.be
    • Historic Competition Services
« Reply #78 on: 01.10. 2012 09:49 »
Really great and interesting thread!!
Keep up the good work and results!
And good luck,  we are all rooting for ya!

Julian
52 Ducati Cucciolo Race bike 50cc
64 Triumph TR6 SS
67 Triumph 100C
67 ILO Race Bike  50cc
71 Sachs Race Bike  50cc
71 Laverda 750SF,
71 Laverda/Egli 750SF, Race bike,
71 Norton Commando 750 Roadster,
71 Norton Commando 750 SS
75 Laverda 3C,
75 Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk0,
76 Beta Cross TR6  50cc
80 Ducati 900 MHR,
81 Yamaha RD350LC

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #79 on: 01.10. 2012 10:03 »
Great stuff RR. only swung once on a short circuit Trump in the wet. Couldn't see anything after turn 1. Just felt the riders boot on my butt pushing me further out. Recon I'd have more fun on the tar.
Keep the "A10" flag flying.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #80 on: 06.10. 2012 05:56 »
and from my passenger...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojp77AjtrMg

we decided to start at the back and stick with the other 650's as in earlier races we'd ended up in no mans land just circulating with no one to play with...
Sound is very quiet. The helmet cams make the track and the distances seem very wide and far away.
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #81 on: 06.10. 2012 06:06 »
 Good one RR. Old Bender ain't too shabby mate. What was the one you beat home? Much more fun when you have someone to play with.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #82 on: 06.10. 2012 20:53 »
Good one RR. Old Bender ain't too shabby mate. What was the one you beat home? Much more fun when you have someone to play with.
Cheers

The bike we initially follow is the A65, then the white kneeler is a 650 triumph also on methanol. The guys on it are ex racers, so still getting back into their groove, so was nice to just give them some pressure without worrying about forcing some hard passes. At the end of the day its social racing so fun to put on a show.
I now have some helmet cam footage from April, which I'll take a look through and post if half decent. Three wheels are a lot of fun ;)
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #83 on: 07.10. 2012 01:23 »
This is the last of the footage from an earlier meetng (April this year)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujLaaBk_6V8

at one stage a little white big wheeled kneeler comes past us and just walks away - something to do with the 6 speed box and the big capacity Maney motor. We also get passed by a dark green Guzzi and a Red beemer.
The orange and yellow kneeler that keeps popping alongside is an 850 commando and the blue bike we're chasing along with the bike in view at the finish are both 5 speed T140's

That meeting had a few more bikes so the field was more condensed.
New Zealand

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #84 on: 10.11. 2012 02:56 »
Really enjoyed watching that..........Well done Sir!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
« Reply #85 on: 10.11. 2012 08:18 »
Fantastic !!
Love a go at that !!
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #86 on: 10.11. 2012 21:10 »
appreciate the feedback!
Am now considering where to source some nice "I" section steel rods in 6" before my original A10 rods decide to make a mess. Looking to shorten the barrel 1/2".
Also tossing up whether I should also try the 358 cam at the same time.
Have bought a nice belt drive clutch too, although need to repair the crank splines before fitting the alloy front pulley, the splines havent got worse but have always been badly worn.
Have also got a spare A10 type brake lever finally which is a better shape than my A65 one which will simplify primary case removal, currently a multi step process. Will need to modify my crossover brake set up to fit.
A good mate has provided a donor outer primary cover with a big hole in it where the cush drive bulge should be. Will be looking to modify it further to cover the belt drive but enable cooling and access to the clutch without removal.
Am intending to fit a low profile dual seat so after a seat base. The steel frame of my trials saddle (unsprung) can be a literal pain in the ...on bumpy circuits.
Will also be reviewing the frame carefully for any breakages, two of the engine mounts had cracked and sidecars are very hard on frames.
Cheers
Tim
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #87 on: 10.11. 2012 22:23 »
Great video's mate, keep'em comming.
Never ending improvements when you race. I thought about the short barrels and 6" rods. Never got there.
I like open primaries.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #88 on: 10.11. 2012 23:29 »
Back in the days when a whole bike and a double adult Watsonian set you back about £25 out of somebodies back yard, I ended up with a bit of an oddball. An A7 bottom end and barrells, with A10 pistons and head! The piston skirts had been "altered" with a hacksaw so they didn't hit the crank. That is how I remember it anyway! The point is, "oversquaring" the engine made it quite  pleasant to live with but didn't make it any faster for sure. What is the thinking behind shortening the barrells in your case?
                    Cheers Rob
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #89 on: 12.11. 2012 01:13 »
Back in the days when a whole bike and a double adult Watsonian set you back about £25 out of somebodies back yard, I ended up with a bit of an oddball. An A7 bottom end and barrells, with A10 pistons and head! The piston skirts had been "altered" with a hacksaw so they didn't hit the crank. That is how I remember it anyway! The point is, "oversquaring" the engine made it quite  pleasant to live with but didn't make it any faster for sure. What is the thinking behind shortening the barrells in your case?
                    Cheers Rob

Not sure if these attachments are legible but they are the rationale behind my latest plan...
New Zealand