Author Topic: Bottom end conversion JB Conversions Cumbria  (Read 5559 times)

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: Bottom end conversion JB Conversions Cumbria
« Reply #15 on: 04.02. 2010 07:48 »
Perhaps you need to take a holiday to Wales with your crank and crankcases.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 04.02. 2010 21:38 »
i think srm did set somewhere up in the states

dave

Offline bob flashman

• Moving Up
« Reply #17 on: 04.02. 2010 23:06 »
hi ive had a srm conversion and a jb one both ok but to get my engine to srm i had to make two journeys to wales which cost a bit in time and money,as i live in cumbria. the engine i got  done was a fair time ago about 6 years.i sold that bike and then later bought a basket case which had had a srm conversion.but the guy i bought it of had striped the engine so i took it to srm as there was some parts missing, the guy had misplaced them.later i meet paul who runs jb conversions and as he is only  3miles away and cheaper than srm on price he did my goldflash.lovely job and cheaper. *smile*also he has some spares which is very handy. 

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 05.02. 2010 00:52 »
 Dave,

You are correct, srm did set up with a shop here in the states. The guy had a very good reputation for quite a while, then the work done went right into the hole.

This is why (I think its B.O.) now says "they do not recommend any A-10 conversions done in the states, but that the crank and cases are sent to the U.K."

And STILL, this hack wants $1100.00 U.S.to maybe ruin your engine....what a deal.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #19 on: 05.02. 2010 19:32 »
hi ive had a srm conversion and a jb one both ok but to get my engine to srm i had to make two journeys to wales which cost a bit in time and money,as i live in cumbria. the engine i got  done was a fair time ago about 6 years.i sold that bike and then later bought a basket case which had had a srm conversion.but the guy i bought it of had striped the engine so i took it to srm as there was some parts missing, the guy had misplaced them.later i meet paul who runs jb conversions and as he is only  3miles away and cheaper than srm on price he did my goldflash.lovely job and cheaper. *smile*also he has some spares which is very handy. 

That's very useful information Bob, cheers. I am also in Cumbria (although I only occasionally venture as far south as Dalton) but I always prefer to support Cumbrian businesses wherever I can, and if the quality of JB's work is comparable to that of SRM then it seems like a very attractive alternative. As well as being a bit cheaper!
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #20 on: 16.02. 2010 17:47 »
Latest update:

I contacted Paul at JB Restorations and he was very helpful. However, he has more than enough work to keep him busy for at least the next three months and suggested that I speak to Rob Wardle over in Newcastle. I did so and Rob is more than happy to sort out my engine for me at a very reasonable price! Hooray!

All I need to do now is get it out of the bike and run it over there and it looks like I ight not miss out on a summers worth of riding after all!
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #21 on: 16.02. 2010 20:49 »
I've heard good reports of Rob Wardle in Newcastle.

no connection

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline stratcat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 19.02. 2010 19:01 »
Been away from this forum for a while and just seen this

Paul at JB is a top bloke. He's ex royal engineers, tank gearbox's were his "day job" I believe.

He has done quite a bit for me over the years. He rebuilds wheels as well as the usual restoration stuff.
The guy he uses for the engine conversions is every bit as good as the SRM conversion (I wish I'd known him before I had my A10 done).

I have no connection with him, just a happy customer.