Author Topic: 58 seat  (Read 1971 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
58 seat
« on: 27.11. 2009 15:05 »
 Guys,

I see there are different seat bases for different years. To me, it looks like the pre-58 dual seat is narrow, and the 58 on seat is somewhat wider in the front. I would like to know what to look for as I am going "shopping" next week. Again, this is a standard Golden Flash.

Or is the 1958 seat different to all other years?

I need some help on this one as I have confused myself badly now...and I am getting lucky finding original parts so I am hoping it continues next week! *smile*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Josh Cox

• Valued Contributor
Re: 58 seat
« Reply #1 on: 27.11. 2009 15:07 »
Is it a plunger or swing arm ?, I assume a swing arm ?.
Black 1953 Golden Flash Plunger

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #2 on: 27.11. 2009 15:35 »
Hi Lee,
         As far as i know, the s/a dualseat changed for 1960 when the pillion bit gained more meat. The mudguard/fender bracket also changed to a two piece set up. Here is a pic of the pre 1960 one piece bracket, hope this helps 
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 27.11. 2009 18:41 »
 Sorry guys,

Yes, its a swing arm model. The thing is, I was talking to a gentleman here in the states who seamed very knowledgeable on the A-10. From memory (could be wrong- but he THOUGHT he was correct) that the 58 S/A model had a different dual seat from the earlier, and also later, bikes.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

And THANK YOU for the pictures. I know its hard to understand, but this bike was completely apart to the last piece- and a picture like that explained quite a few things. Like what quite a few of the holes in the fender are for. Stuff like that really throws me as I am never sure if the "chopper" guys drilled them or if they are supposed to be there! *smile*

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 27.11. 2009 20:27 »
Lee,

From the following brochures, I would deduce that the wide seat was introduced to the A10 in 1960. Also, as you can see, the '57 and ' 59 brochures (I did not locate a '58 brochure) do not show the wide seat. I guess it's possible these are U.S. brochures and U.K. could be different. It will be interesting to hear if anyone knows of original A10s earlier than 1960 including the wide seat.

I hope this helps and does not add to the confusion.

Richard L.

In this '57 brochure you don't see the wide seat:
http://bsa.hailwood.com/1957bsabrochure_color.html

In this '59 brochure you don't see the wide seat:
http://bsa.hailwood.com/59_east_coast_brochure.html

In this picture you can see the wide seat on a '60 Royal Tourist;
http://www.a7a10.net/BSA/bsapics/60usa10.jpg

In the next brochure you can see the wide seat on a '63 RGS:
http://bsa.hailwood.com/1963_bsa_brochure_ac2.html

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 27.11. 2009 21:02 »
Hi Lee, 

The dual seat that you are looking for was fitted to the Swinging Arm A7 and A10 Golden Flash models from 1956 to 59 (possibly earlier).  The part number is 42-9072 and the seat pan should have two rectangular locators towards the front (one on each side) that hold rubber supports.  These rubber supports, roughly measuring about 3 inches long by 1 inch wide and maybe 1 inch deep, rest on the top of the frame very close to where the battery fits.  It is connected by two bolts to a bracket that is attached to the rear mudguard.

For the 1960 A10GF models the seat was fastened to each side of the rear mudguard by small angled brackets.  I believe that this seat did not have the rectangular supports that the earlier seat had.

These rectangular locators should tell you if the seat is the correct one or not..... but even if you had the later seat it would be a simple task to make it fit the earlier model.

Hope this helps.

Beezageezauk.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 28.11. 2009 05:16 »
I believe that the American models had the wide seat earlier than the home models.
The very first pans didn't have the rubber blocks and had a pair of stiffening angles attached to the bottom.
Trev.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 28.11. 2009 10:54 »
Thanks for the input Trev. (I guess I'm semi-permanently in "Home Model" mode. 

So the mounting holes should tell Lee which one he needs.

If there are extra holes in the top of the rear mudguard, or if his mudguard has the mounting bracket attached, he needs the seat that takes the rubber blocks.  If there are extra holes in the side of the rear mudguard he needs the later seat (part number 42-9230) and angle brackets!!

Beezageezauk. 

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 28.11. 2009 13:34 »
Trev,

It would not surprise me if you are right on the money with regard to introducing wide seats earlier in the U.S. I would think that 1958 is probabaly somewhere around the time when research would have shown that Americans have bigger butts than Brits, on average.

Richard L.

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 28.11. 2009 13:51 »
Trev,

It would not surprise me if you are right on the money with regard to introducing wide seats earlier in the U.S. I would think that 1958 is probabaly somewhere around the time when research would have shown that Americans have bigger butts than Brits, on average.

Richard L.

haha thats good!

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 28.11. 2009 16:50 »
Manosound, thanks for the brochures posted on this thread! The '57 one I hadn't seen for 50+ years. I remember studying it as a spotty, elvis haircut, first year, engine fitter and turner apprentice in H M Dockyard, Devonport, before my parents relented and let me buy my first bike. Wonderful memories.
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.