Author Topic: Chronometric speedo and the fake ones from India  (Read 2069 times)

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
Hello,

My 0 - 120 chronometric speedo needs rebuilt. I was wondering if the inards from the Indian ones on ebay would fit straight in as the cost of a rebuild is beyond my means just now? I'm not too interested in absolute originality just functionality. Has anyone any experience of this mod??   *conf*

Cheers

Alan

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: Chronometric speedo and the fake ones from India
« Reply #1 on: 22.12. 2009 08:27 »
How much does an Indian speedo cost to buy? My genuine Smiths chronometric was rebuilt at a cost of £70. This included a complete rebuild, a new face and calibration.The only problem being that it was away for about 2 months.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 22.12. 2009 12:50 »
G'day Alan, I have one. It works OK but does waver a bit. The only problem is the cable. Different fitting at the speedo. I bought one of their cables which was too long and shortened it. The hard bit was making the end of the inner square. I silver soldered about 1" of the end and ground the square. I don't know if an inner out of an original would fit or not as I didn't have one. It doesn't have a trip meter either.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline broom34

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 22.12. 2009 14:57 »
Hi Alan
           Have you tried going on e-bay there are plenty of sites that sell smiths speedo's ,some are fake some are real but there's some real bargain's about I'm sure you could make up a decent cheap speedo with pick and match rebuild.

Richard