Author Topic: rear mudguard stays  (Read 2280 times)

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
rear mudguard stays
« on: 27.12. 2009 18:50 »
Cant work out rear triagular plates that hold stays? The edge of the cotton reel spacers are exactly in line with the threaded tubes welded on the frame, but the plates have about a 3/16 joggle in them,so am I missing a spacer or are the plates bent or are the cotton reels wrong length.
Also I have tried before on the forum and just about every where else but does any one know the name or shade of the spitfire red, even approx modern shade.
Just like to say a thank you to all the regulars and others who have answered my questions in the last year,some amazingly quickly it really is so useful when youre stuck and a  manual or parts pic wont quite do the trick but a quick word or photo allows you to carry on.
Happy christmas and safe riding in 2010.
Spyke
A10 spitfire style

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: rear mudguard stays
« Reply #1 on: 27.12. 2009 19:31 »
Spyke'

Here are two photos of my setup, which, I believe, is correct (acorn nuts are, obviously, not original). As I recall your's is also a swingarm. These are some embarassing pictures because every bit of dust is accentuated and it makes it look like the bike is a total mess. A thorough cleanup is definately in order. Ah yes, another winter project.

Richard L.

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 27.12. 2009 22:02 »
Thanks Richard pic shows me my cotton reels are the right width but I still cant see the joggle or offsett kink in the plate?

Cheers Spyke
A10 spitfire style

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #3 on: 28.12. 2009 07:51 »
In my experience that area is a bit of a push n' shove. I think it depends on what set up you have as there are two sorts of mudguard stays, the arrowhead and the bolt on, both are different with different measurements. Both my arrowhead A10s have an extra spacer between the guard and triangular bracket, I cant remember with the bolt on stay type. I'll go out when daylight and get some photos for you.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 28.12. 2009 09:56 »
Spyke,

The offset in the plate goes inward towards the mudguard.  Just think about the clearance required for the rear suspension unit and it will make sense.

Beezageezauk.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 28.12. 2009 15:40 »
Here is a picture of mine, the bolt-on type, taken from below. Again, right side.

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 29.12. 2009 11:21 »
Thanks for picture but I notice you have 2 thickish washers between the plate and frame maybe thats where i m getting confused although i think mine would need more like 3 washers?
A10 spitfire style

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 29.12. 2009 13:55 »
Spyke,

I can't say I know why yours is different. I assume you have the triagular piece mounted to the outside of the tab on the stay. Perhaps it is just as LJ says, "...a bit of push n' shove." One more washer difference on each side, in this case, may be within the combined factory tolerances for width of the upper shock-mount opening, length of the boss on the frame, height of the offset in the bracket, etc. If it is just a matter of adding another washer behind the offset portion, and you can do it symetrically, I say, no problem. After all, the parts book shows no washers in there and I am using two. So, two, three, what difference. To take it just a step further, in my parts book, the offset is shown going to the outside, away from the mudgaurd. I am almost certain this is wrong (and so is Beezageezauk), but I will bow to the more knowledgeable members if my own setup is, indeed, what is wrong.

Richard L.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 29.12. 2009 14:50 »
Richard,

I believe that yours have been fitted the wrong way round.  If you were to attach the single hole in the kink to the boss on the frame (without washers) and allow the kink to go inwards from there, the kinked plate will give a clearance for the shock absorber and everything should line up without a struggle.

I appreciate that it's difficult to tell from some parts books but Plate 23 on page 60 of the BSA Spares Book for 1954-57 "A" Models shows the kink quite clearly going this way.

Beezageezauk.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 29.12. 2009 16:05 »
Beezageezauk,

OK. I assume Spyke will try your method and report back. I seem to recall trying the approach you suggest, but I could be wrong (again!?). If Spyke reports success with your advice, I guess I am going to change mine. I think this falls uder the title, "no good deed goes unpunished," since my zeal to help Spyke may well end up in more work for myself. Nevertheless, thanks for your comment.

Richard L.   

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 29.12. 2009 19:44 »
Hi again Richard,

Your willingness to help on this forum is greatly appreciated and hasn't gone unnoticed.   In fact I've learned and benefitted from many of your comments, as I'm sure many others have done.  Keep up the good work.

I'm sure that I haven't caused any offence by the suggestion in my previous posting but sorry if, through this, I might cause additional work for you.  However, I'm sure that you will be a happier guy to know if the set-up is  correct.  Hey...I might have mis-interpreted it myself!!

Yes, I'm sure we'll hear from Spyke in due course when we could all be a little wiser.  I, like you and many others, have made many mistakes in my life and can quote one of my father's sayings that "A man who has never made a mistake has never made anything"....but he said it using an appropriately placed expletive.

We are both happy to assist and be assisted by the members of this great forum so lets go forward to a very successful 2010.  This is what it's all about.

Beezageezauk. 

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 29.12. 2009 21:34 »
This is the way that I always fit mine.
No pushing or shoving required, everything falls into place.
Trev.

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 29.12. 2009 21:40 »
yes thats how mine is set up no washers required

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 30.12. 2009 13:46 »
Beezageeauk,

Certainly, no offence, and, thanks for the very kind words.

Trev,

Thanks for the photos.

Spyke,

If I have led you astray, sorry. Fortunately Beezageezauk was "geeza on the spot" with the consensus correction (don't know, could be "Johnny," but he is festidiously anonymous). Anyway, I'm not tearing down (maybe, tearing up *cry* *smile*) just yet, only because my error is not causing me that much grief, right now at least.

Richard L.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 30.12. 2009 19:02 »
Hi All,
There are two A10's in the garage at the moment, and both have the plates as Beezageeza says.
However both bikes have the L stays on the outside of the plates?????
One A10 is my own Super Rocket which has a stainless steel guard
the other is a kinda RGS rep and it has a chrome guard
Both DONT HAVE the arrowhead stays but the goldie type
Funny thing on the rep is that one threadreel spacer is longer than the other by about 1/4 inch, yet the guard/stays look central in the frame??????

HTH
Cheers
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)