Author Topic: Fido's speedo problem.  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Fido's speedo problem.
« on: 08.05. 2007 18:54 »
Hi Fido, 

I've just been reading about your A7 that needs a speedo rigging up for the MOT Test.  I had a problem with the speedo cable breaking regularly on my Bantam so I left the cable off and fitted a bicycle computer.  My MOT guy must have accepted this because he hasn't commented on it and given me a test certificate for the last two years.

This could be a quick and easy fix for you if you think your MOT guy will accept it.   ;)

Beezageezauk.

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
Re: Fido's speedo problem.
« Reply #1 on: 08.05. 2007 23:54 »
Lord, save us from MOT types.
Here in the USA, the officials just accept whatever you say when you bring your vintage machinery for inspection. Like, why should they care? Go ride, have fun!
Not very helpful to UK riders, but it needs mentioning . . .
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 09.05. 2007 09:05 »
They could fail a cycle speedo because it's not illuminated. I have bodged on the one from my Velocette LE but the threaded collar on the cable is too short to reach the threads in the speedo base so I've had to try to hold it on with duct tape. If it fails I will have to explore other options. I could take the one off the Royal Oilfield but that's a bigger job to remove and might have the same problem with the cable. I could take the cable off the Velo but again, not a 5 minute job to get at.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 10.05. 2007 07:47 »
Well it passed the test. I mentioned the temporary speedo to the tester but he said they don't need to look at it anyway. I dare say he would have made a comment if there was not one fitted but it looks like the cycle type would have been OK.