Author Topic: Brake Pedal Spring Gold Flash  (Read 5388 times)

Offline Shaun

• Moving Up
Re: Brake Pedal Spring Gold Flash
« Reply #15 on: 05.01. 2010 18:35 »
In truth i was thinking of just changing the front tyre if i had to run it in solo so thanks for that, the sidecar is two man so bit  on the heavy side as for ballast i wasnt going to include her indoors for the initial runs !
shaun
UK South East

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 05.01. 2010 20:55 »
Just a few thoughts, Shaun.
                                            I would guess that your frame is a GA7 and the rear wheel belongs to it.
The extra bracket on the frame top tube could be anything, but a head steady seems to be a logical guess. I have never seen anything like that before.
Your primary cover is post 1960.
Possibly the bike has had a disastrous crash in the past and has been repaired with a donor bike.
If you open your toolbox and find a hole drilled through the inner below the mounting studs, this will indicate a late box.
The regulator mounting changed during 1960 also.
Is your rear chain guard missing?
Does your frame have a full gusset or half gusset wrapped around the head stock?
Your gearbox is pre 1960.
Which fuel tank do you have? Pear shaped or round badges?
The generator is pre 1958. 1958 onward has a pressed metal end cover.
Regarding running in. These bikes must have been available new with a sidecar. Surely the owners didn't remove the sidecar to run in the bike.
If you keep your engine spinning freely and don't load it heavily, change gears and work it through the rev range, it should be OK.
I would like to see others opinions on this.
It looks like you have a nice machine, whatever it's origins enjoy it. After all, it is all BSA!
When you get it all together, post a picture.
Trev.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #17 on: 05.01. 2010 21:44 »
On the running in subject I guess everyone has their own ideas, for me by the time I get to the end of the street its run in I reckon. The thing is its like Trev says, no extremes. Dont rev the bike hard and dont let it work, just ride it normally for the first 1,000 miles or so until you start thrashing it.

I dont use any special running in oils or anything like that. 

My basic procedure for a new motor (or complete restoration) is,

1. I put the oil in that the bike will use, for me thats a 20/50 multigrade (Valvoline XLD Premium)
2. Start the engine and have a quick look to make sure no obvious oil leaks or anything like that.
3. Go for a ride but stop after about 20 miles and once again have a quick look for anything obvious, continue and do about 100 miles.
4. Change oil and check bike over.
5. At 500 miles change oil again and do tappets, check chain tension etc.
6. Change oil again at 1,000 miles and every 1,000 miles thereafter, ride however you want from now on.

It works for me.

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 05.01. 2010 22:18 »
Brian,
           Like you, I tend to run them in to the end of the street.
I was horrified a few years ago when my mate didn't even run his in that far.
Fifteen years and thousands of miles later, it is still going great.
Trev.

Offline Shaun

• Moving Up
« Reply #19 on: 08.01. 2010 21:32 »
I do have a chain guard but it is not the fully enclosed one i am unsure that i would want it enclosed and have not been tempted by locating one so far,the tank is pear shape badge ,atatched is a pic of the frame as unsure on you question Trevor ,i have found an advert for the Blacknell side car its the san remo and it does date from 57 !the primary cover i wondered if it had been changed for ease of adjustement given the sidecar , i heve the four spring fitted with srm alloy plate ,the gear box i purchased from a guy who rebuilds em the old one being a bit slack he is encouraging me to put the five speed in he said he would fit it in box for nowt but i have to do some miles before i can spend that !
So gents run it in with side car it looks at mo !
Thanks Shaun
UK South East

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 09.01. 2010 21:04 »
Shaun,
            That is definitely a GA7 frame. It has the full gusset around the headstock. Your tank is also a GA7 one.
Trev.