Author Topic: Tyre choice  (Read 2662 times)

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
Tyre choice
« on: 08.01. 2010 09:03 »
I am looking to get a new front tyre(actually MOT 'advised' that i get one *conf*) and I was wondering what anyone preferred/recommended.Now a few points it needs to be cheap because I am(and poor) and not a speedmaster ribbed(ooer) as I find that tyre not only stupidly expensive(why?) but also not very good and a not very deep tread.My current tyre is a Metz but the laser tech/me range is quite pricey.I have looked at Maxxis,Couguar and Vee rubber and they seem to have some tyres that look ok for a good price but I have never used them.I have a road runner at the back thanks for any advice oh bring back the Pirelli Phathom.
Andy

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Re: Tyre choice
« Reply #1 on: 08.01. 2010 09:49 »
Two friends of mine have bought Maxxis tires for their more modern bikes in an attempt to save money. I tried them in wet and dry conditions and imho there is only one word for it: RUBBISH
Esp. when wet, the bike handles like you would do ice-track racing with a braking distance like a freight train.

I made my experiences with cheap tires on the car myself, and I can tell you one thing: NEVER EVER AGAIN!

Sorry, no offense, but saving money on tires is a very bad idea.
These rubber parts are the only thing that keep you on the road and they are one of the last things you would like to fail in critical situations. There is a reason for the higher price of a good tire. It is not only the extensive research and testing work that is performed, it is also the difference in the purchase price of the caoutchouc. There are so many different quality levels, it even depends where exactly the base material comes from.

Just my two pennies worth.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #2 on: 08.01. 2010 10:34 »
Yep I see your point and shall avoid the Maxxis and that's the point of this request to see what these tyres are like in the real world of usage.Saying that I found the Avon front tyre bloody dangerous and they sell them in excess of £60 so much for testing and don't get me started on the skidmaster tyre for the rear!!.

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 08.01. 2010 10:46 »
Dunlop TT100?
I think they're good tyres.
Its all down to personal taste really.
I wouldnt use the Cheng Shin copies though.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #4 on: 08.01. 2010 11:14 »
Used TT100 in the past on the rear and was not impressed and I feel they are a little wide for the fronts.I was spoilt in my early years by the phathom and my current front which is a metz block c which they don't make anymore.
Andy

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 08.01. 2010 12:32 »
Like you, I'm using an Avon Roadrunner (4x19) at the back and am quite happy with it. As a front tyre I'm using the Metzeler Perfect ME 11 (3,25x19). It handles well and has the right look for an old bike, but it is not really cheap (around 66 Euros here in Austria). The Metz is a bit wider than the Avon Speedmaster. I think it was about 6 or 7 mm, maybe just 5, hmm can't really remember at the moment, but definitely wasn't much. Although both are listed as 3,25x19. Might be a problem with a very narrow mudguard, but it is okay for the valanced mudguard of the GF as well as for the sports type mudguard of the SS.

I found the Speedmaster to be a problem in wet conditions and having a rather short life. the Roadrunner performs better.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 08.01. 2010 12:54 »
avon am26's front and back are great -  not cheap, but if you figure a good set of tires will last 2 seasons (maybe more..) i think it is well worth the cost

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #7 on: 08.01. 2010 13:37 »
Its worth remembering that new tyres / tires will only be good for 5 years or so before they deteriorate due to age [like me], classic bikes sometimes dont wear tyres out very fast as some dont do high mileage.

Avon SMs are made from modern materials and are now far better than they were back in the day but sometimes they have been on a bike for 10 years and have all the gripping ability of a nice piece of cheese. People fall off, then blame the tyres.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #8 on: 08.01. 2010 13:52 »
Busters motorcycle(website looks just like MandP's hmmm) are doing Avon Venom AM42 for £49+£5 p&p 100/90H if I can save enough pennies.Or Maxxis C926 £36 I asked someone else and they rated these very highly I dunno.Any other opinions please.
Andy

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 08.01. 2010 13:54 »
A10Boy - Good point, but my SM was new when fitted to the bike and nevertheless I found the Metzeler ME11 to be much better when wet. I bought the Metz for the A7 because the SM was not available, and then changed the front tyre of the A10 to a Metz too, because I liked the handling so much better.

Another thing I noticed with the SM was that even the '56 Ariel brake on the A10 could make it whine when braking hard downhill, but I never could get the Metz to its limit of adhesion when braking.

It very often depends on the combination of bike and tyre make. My experience with the Maxxis were on modern bikes, like I said. But generally I haven't made any good expereinces with those cheap tyres.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 08.01. 2010 17:38 »
Busters motorcycle(website looks just like MandP's hmmm)

I believe your spot on Andy
I did buy a battery from them that arrived much quicker than anything I've had from M&P ( who are quite slow I think), the battery arrived without acid though, however they did send the acid by next post.

I have the Avon AM stuff on the project but it a bit off the tarmac yet

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

shuttle15

« Reply #11 on: 08.01. 2010 19:37 »
I am looking to get a new front tyre(actually MOT 'advised' that i get one *conf*) and I was wondering what anyone preferred/recommended.Now a few points it needs to be cheap because I am(and poor) and not a speedmaster ribbed(ooer) as I find that tyre not only stupidly expensive(why?) but also not very good and a not very deep tread.My current tyre is a Metz but the laser tech/me range is quite pricey.I have looked at Maxxis,Couguar and Vee rubber and they seem to have some tyres that look ok for a good price but I have never used them.I have a road runner at the back thanks for any advice oh bring back the Pirelli Phathom.
Andy
Hi Andy,
  You only have a few inches of rubber between you and the road, get the best, that's Pirelli City Demon or Route 66, I find them great.
                        Howard.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #12 on: 08.01. 2010 20:13 »
G'day Andy,
                I, like most here, would not skimp on rubber (tyres or condoms) as you get what you pay for. Depends on how much your skin or bike is worth to you. I recently went window shopping for tyres and liked the reports on AM18's but could not justify $700 AU. I also suffer from BSA,BLP. Bloody Short Arms, Bloody Long Pockets, so have decided on Michelin Macadams at $380 AU but I do run a 18" on the rear which makes it a little easier to get modern rubber. I wish they'd bring back the Dunlop Elites, loved them.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #13 on: 09.01. 2010 00:15 »
Dunlop TT100's usually go on most of my bikes.
If they were good enough for A75's brand new and were capable of doing the first 100mph lap at the IOM I can have no reason for feeling that they are not good enough for me.
My riders hated them with a passion but were happy enough with the dual compound Bridgestone Spitfires on the XJ650's & XJ750's. I found that the soft grippy center tread used to wear down very quickly on the hot Aussie roads to the harder sidewall compound.

You being in the cold wet OLD Dart can go for a much softer compound but down here I used to get about 5000 Miles out of Phantoms in OZ which made them a bit dear @ 30,000 m/year. But I do agree with you , beautiful tyre with good wet grip.

A lot of the skinny tire, "passive" riders down here are using the Chen Sing Dunlop copies and apparently they are making them with a much softer compound than the black concrete used when they were first released.
Then again our riding conditions are a lot hotter than yours so harder compounds do get time to warm up & get a bit grippy.

The unit singles get treated to M&M's, Michelin on the front and Metzlers on the back.

But I have to agree with the others re tyre quality vs cost, one week off work with a sore ankle/wrist will cost a lot more than an expensive tyre as will knocking a dent from your tank then replating/ painting.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #14 on: 11.01. 2010 20:28 »
Looks like I shall get the Pirelli city demon as its actually very well priced £39 with post cheaper than most Maxxis,but I will watch ebay as there is a Metz lasertech at £14+£14 post!! so some deals may come up.If you want a lasertech you have 2 1/2 days to bid,no bids yet.

Andy