Author Topic: barrells  (Read 997 times)

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
barrells
« on: 10.01. 2010 21:25 »
Hi chaps,

Ive got a set of barrells that have the protruding liner/casting below the flange broken in a few places ,are these complete scrap or can  new liners take the place of this damaged piece?
Cheers Spyke
A10 spitfire style

Richard

Re: barrells
« Reply #1 on: 10.01. 2010 21:35 »
I had a set of barrels on a bike with a part of the liner broken, I made sure there was no sharp edge and carried on using them, it all depends how much is broken as a small amount will not be much of a problem
However liners can be fitted
Richard

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.01. 2010 21:37 »
They are repairable, Spyke, it just depends how much you want to spend.
If you are handy with machines, you can make stepped sleeves from cast iron stock to the same dimensions of the skirts on one end and to the size of the bored barrel for the correct length.
You have to mill the broken skirts from the barrel, press the new sleeves in then braze or weld in place.
Obviously the barrel then has to be bored to size.
I have a set that has been repaired this way and is in service with no problems.
Trev.

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 11.01. 2010 00:25 »
If the broken parts are in the forward or backward regions i.e., the piston thrust faces, you might have reason for concern. Otherwise, probably not.

David
David
'57 Spitfire

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 11.01. 2010 19:00 »
G'day Spyke, I would not use them as is, there may be a fine crack you don't see and could fail. the last thing you need is a lump of cast iron floating around in the bottom end. Trev has the best method of repair, most engine shops should be able to do it.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7