Author Topic: 3 easy questions(but not for myself)  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
3 easy questions(but not for myself)
« on: 31.01. 2010 21:19 »
1.the armoured pipes,the top one goes to the top and bottom to the bottom ?
2.Where does the speedo cable travel into the headlight cowling ?
3.Is the clutch arm lever bent?,its about 2 cm too short and I cannot ajust the cable (having terrible problems with all the cables!)
ho ho ho

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
Re: 3 easy questions(but not for myself)
« Reply #1 on: 31.01. 2010 22:38 »
1 if you look on the crank case next to the pipes it should tell you r for return
return should have the rocker pipe on it and  f for feed

3  yes looks like a very bad bend that wont help id say get a new one or straiten it

Offline Desburnett

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7 SS, Fazer 1000, Norton Commando 850
« Reply #2 on: 31.01. 2010 22:48 »
Hi,

Oil pipes..as you say is correct, top to top, bottom to bottom.

Clutch lever is bent.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 31.01. 2010 23:17 »
Hi Stephen,
It looks like the adjuster inside the inspection cover is set way too far in
There are several threads on the topic here (I think)
It should be at right angles to the cable at half pull, equally so should the pusher inside the inspection cover
May be the push rod is too long???
HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 01.02. 2010 00:23 »
(Edited)

Stephan,

The arm is indeed bent, but maybe not so much so as to keep a correct cable from being adjusted to fit, but straightening it would seem a good idea. I don't think it is going to heat and bend like steel, as I believe it is a bronze casting or some other similar alloy. I won't try to be the metalurgist here, because there are some amoung us who do it for a living. On the other hand, SRM offers a very nice stainless-steel replacement.

John O R mentioned that the adjuster might be set "way too far in" , but. You don't mention if the lever is in the rod-contact position, but I supose it is. Assuming it is in the rod-contact position, having a straight arm makes the case worse. It looks to me like you have the cable ends as shown in the first photo below. This is different from my '55, so I don't know why the hole in the gearbox tab is threaded and the cable ferrule is not. Earlier gearboxes had a slot in the top of the tab to allow for the cable to be laid in and a long adjuster threaded through the hole in the tab. Then, additional adjustment at the top was available via the adjuster at the throttle lever (not made part of the cable). Perhaps a cable with an end like that pictured in the second photo, with the nut at the backside of the tab, would serve you better, but I defer to others to say if this is a typical approach for the later models.

I hope this provides some additional interesting info and opinion, but I shant go farther on scant first-hand knowledge of your model year.

Richard L.

Oh, one more thing. In addition to the adjuster screw being adjusted wrong, another possibility is that a previous owner had the clutch push rod lever at the wrong rotation on the operating lever splines.

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 01.02. 2010 23:34 »
Thanks for the info guys,Hi Richard,reference your last sentence,then if this is the case,must I open up the gearbox and readjust it (is it an easy operation?).I have actually a screw threaded cable adjuster hole,but are using a plug wiring stop(as seen in your picture),however I have different handlebar adjusters to the normal.There is very little free play in the wire(also goes for the brake cables,these are also not correctly 100% fitted).Even if I used a screw threaded adjuster-as in your picture,this does´nt mean the cable is longer(or suffice enough to reach the lever ?)Maybe I should just change the brake levers and buy new cables.What started out as a enthusiastic rebuild has turned into a moneypit disaster,the paper work fight between the brits and the german mot authorities,almost every electrical,moving part had to be serviced or replaced.The bike had been really bodged,with homemade solutions.I can´t stop now as I´d never forgive myself,I´d really like to give it to someone to complete,but there are just 3 or so workshop garages and they really only deal with top top  customers with matching hourly prices.Of course when it runs in the summer I´ll think diffrent,but at the moment,
ho ho ho

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 01.02. 2010 23:54 »
On the run to catch a train, so I'll try to be brief. If it's the screw, it's under the oval cover. If the lever is wrong on the splines, the whole outer gearbox cover must come off.

Richard L

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 02.02. 2010 01:48 »
Stephen,

Take a look here, where Richie (flashblack) has posted pictures of the clutch arm position and the adjuster behind the little oval cover. These pictures also show what I meant by the slotted top to the cable retaining tab on the gearbox body.

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,927.msg6219.html#msg6219

Richard L.

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 02.02. 2010 05:16 »
Thanks Richard,good show,tis clear I must remove the arm and reset it.That bike in the photo looks stunning.
ho ho ho

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 02.02. 2010 20:10 »
Stephen,
                 The speedo cable goes through a pair of holes in the headlight shell.
This subject was covered some time back, you should be able to search for details.
Trev.