Author Topic: Doom and despair  (Read 8397 times)

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
Re: Doom and despair
« Reply #30 on: 18.02. 2010 08:55 »
Simon,
As already stated , there should ar least be a hole for the split pin in the end of the shaft.. Mine had a round head nail in place of the pin, was a right b*gg*r to get out!!

I made a similar error in leaving that nut tight until the clutch was out & so rather than jam bits of wood around the crankshaft sprocket I reassembled the clutch & used the "in gear with back brake on" method.  My castelated (well, 4 slots in it!) nut also showed signs of previous "activity" but I used an old screwdriver with a good blade and a heavy wooden mallet. It took quite a lot to shift it but it gave in the end..

Good luck,

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #31 on: 18.02. 2010 23:08 »
Got it off!

I found the hole as described, but the pin was missing. To remove the nut I first experimented with a piece of softwood pressed across the top of the primary drive sprocket, but this just got chewed up by the sprocket. I then found a nice piece of old oak which in a previous life had formed part of a whisky barrel. I cut this carefully to shape so that it would fit around the top of the sprocket whilst dissipating the load as widely as porssible through the inner primary case. I tapped this into place with a rubber mallet and locked my stilsons onto the nut. Hey presto, off it came! Another good nights work!
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #32 on: 19.02. 2010 02:53 »
Necessity is the mother of invention.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #33 on: 20.02. 2010 11:19 »
The latest catastrophe has struck...

Last night, I get around to removing the clutch centre. I had delayed this job until I could borrow the correct tool from a friend. Having obtained this, I duly screwed it into plase and began the extraction process. Nothing much happened and then after a couple more turns of the puller there was movement. Unfortunately, this was caused by the puller stripping all the threads off the clutch centre. Now I have the centre still firmly siezed in position and no means of removing it. So far, I have tried applying penetrating fluid and even heat from a blow torch (risky, I know) but nothing seems to want to move it.

I have more or less resigned myself to the fact that the centre will need to be replaced, but how to go about destroying it without damaging anything else?

Any suggestions would be more than welcome....
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 20.02. 2010 11:46 »
When using a puller Mosin don't try to remove the centre by screwing the puller in until the centre comes off, screw it on until fairly tight then give the end of the puller screw a
light but firm smack with a medium weight hammer ( good mechanics have a good range of hammers ) the puller puts pressure on the centre and the tap with the hammer jars it off the taper - might sound crude but it works.

Is it a four spring clutch ( 1960 I think should be ) ?

Pretty sure someone here will have been up against this before, there might be a way to pull it off with a different puller, If not then possibley if the centre is US a plate welded across the end with a central hole and nut also welded on would be one way of removing it if you know anyone with a portable welder or remove gearbox and primary inner and take somewhere.

All the best - With it   Bill

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 20.02. 2010 17:37 »
Simon,

Bill's idea of welding something on sounds like it would work well. Maybe all you would need is a big-ol' nut with the points ground down, shoved into the end of the hub and brazed in place, which you could do with somthing as simple as a MAPP/Oxygen home welding system. Regardless of this particular project, if you don't have an Oxy-Acetylene rig, the MAPP/Oxygen torch is something I would strongly recommend having anyway. But, fair warning, brazing onto the hub will use a lot of oxygen from small, expensive bottles.

Anyway, if welding is not your thing, but drilling, sawing  and grinding is, maybe you could make a puller like the one I've drawn. I made one sort of like this for pulling the primary-side main bearing. I've included a couple of photos of that. All this said, there may be better or easier ways to get your hub off (almost sounds off-color), but why be simple when you  can be complicated? Just kidding, if there are better ideas than this/these out there, I trust our friends here in the forum will chime in.

Richard L.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 20.02. 2010 20:44 »
Hi Simon,
If the puller pulled the threads out of the centre then most likely the puller is damaged as well???
Shove the puller back into the centre and weld the two together!!!
The heat from the weld will probably loosen the centre as well,
If the PO has applied loctite to the taper you will need to heat up the centre before applying pressure
I have used an airgun on the extractor bolt!! the rattling from the airgun helps break the taper joint
HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 20.02. 2010 22:26 »

Good ideas John
Never thought of using the airgun that way (I have one);That's an airgun as in -connected to a compressor -I trust.
 I just had this vision of Simon standing in his shed upto his ankles in lead pellets

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 20.02. 2010 23:20 »
LOL! Bill *smile* *smile* *smile*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #39 on: 21.02. 2010 00:01 »
Thanks for clarifying this. I've been stood here for the past three hours firing .177 pellets at the thing from my Gat gun. And wondering why it hasn't budged an inch!

1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #40 on: 21.02. 2010 06:45 »
If you get to the stage of having to use a grinder to get it off, which may happen, make sure you grind on the top of the keyway. If you look at the end of it you will be able to see the keyway, by grinding down onto the top of the key you wont risk getting the shaft.

I had to do one of these on a A65 a few weeks ago, at some point in its life it had sheared the key and spun the centre on the shaft effectively welding the centre to the shaft. The owner had played around with pullers and heat etc for days and just couldnt shift it. Hopefully yours will come off much easier.

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #41 on: 22.02. 2010 21:28 »
Tonight I managed to finally get the engine out of the bike and had a good look at it. (The primary inner is still firmly attached to the gearbox by the siezed clutch centre- I'll deal with that later). However that is currently the least of my worries.

In my opening post of this thread I mentioned a "metallic bang" which I heard at the time of my engine failing. I now know what caused it...
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 22.02. 2010 21:31 »
Ouch!
             That is an unhappy crankcase.
Trev.

Offline Josh Cox

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #43 on: 22.02. 2010 21:37 »
That looks like the cam has thrown a bolt through the case, where did the bolt come from ?.
Black 1953 Golden Flash Plunger

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #44 on: 22.02. 2010 21:57 »
Ouch!
             That is an unhappy crankcase.
Trev.

Trev,

I can assure you that the unhappiness of the crankcase can only possibly be surpassed by the unhappiness of its owner.

Time, methinks, for a large glass of single malt and some sombre comtemplation.

Simon
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England