Author Topic: Electrics problem  (Read 1909 times)

Offline farmboyuk

• Active
Electrics problem
« on: 27.07. 2007 13:40 »
Hi,
I've nearly finished my GF now but now I'm having problems with the electrics. When I try to activate anything electric (horn, brake light, headlight) they're initially dead then slowly (around 10 secs) there is light/sound. When voltage/current seems to be present it works fine but the problem seems to be intermittent.
I had this problem before putting a new wiring harness on but its still there. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Many Thanks

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Electrics problem
« Reply #1 on: 27.07. 2007 17:50 »
Have you tried with a different, known healthy, battery? I'd first check the frame connection from the battery. Check if the voltage drop is at the battery poles as well as the other components. If ok at the battery but drops along the way, find where the drop starts.

Or could be that something gets hots upon current drain, then expands due to heat and gives a good connection. Any heat along the cabling somewhere?

If you cannot find anything obvious, start an elimination method. F.ex, disconnect the A connection at the regulator to get regulator\dynamo out of the way, short your amperemeter to see if it makes any difference, etc. How is the ammeter behaving during the low voltage period? (maybe not relevant, as you write the horn does not get power either, and if it is standard wiring, the horn does not go trough the amperemeter).

just some ideas to start with. Good Luck, when you find it, tell us what it was!

E.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 27.07. 2007 21:02 »
If you have not already done so you should put a fuse in the main negative battery wire to protect the bike from going up in flames in the event of a short circuit.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 21.08. 2007 00:45 »
FB, if you read this, how did it all go?

E.

Stand with

Offline farmboyuk

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 21.08. 2007 10:55 »
Hi,
Sorry for the delay. Everthing is now finished with the bike, it turned out to be the battery after all despite it being brand new a few months ago. I put a new battery on and as Fido recommended placed an inline fuse into the wiring and everything works a treat. The bike is now finished see below. I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for their brilliant advice to my questions, no doubt if I have any more problems I'll be back. Once again thanks.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 21.08. 2007 18:26 »
wow!  *eek*  *smile* nice machine !

Stand with

Offline dodmo