Author Topic: whats the worst repair you've seen on your BSA  (Read 3266 times)

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
Re: whats the worst repair you've seen on your BSA
« Reply #15 on: 19.01. 2010 09:30 »
When i first bought my A10 many years ago, it was described to me as a "semi-chop". The headstock had been raked by cutting a section of frame out just behind the headstock, and then the two ends butted together and welded! This created kinks in the two down tubes, luckily(?) the 6"  over stanchions were not plugged, but all one bit of tube. The forward controls were mounted on a bit of 1/2" all thread through the front eng. plate - frame mount, but they just bent if you put any weight on them. The steering damper knob had been replaced by a solid brass (8" tall) striking cobra`s head, which i think would have ripped my guts out if i had hit anything! Also, due to the fact that both side panel areas were welded up with plates, the large round oil tank was strapped to the (created out of tent poles) sissy bar, and of course there was an oil leak onto the rear tyre.
 I must point out that at the time i was wheeling and dealing a bit with various bikes, and i acquired the bike for next nothing in a deal with the intention of selling it on, except once i rode it, i fell in love with the engine, especially the timing cover and also the sound, i decided there and then that i would restore it to original. That was twenty odd years ago, and it`s still ongoing!     

ps   unfortunately i don`t have a photo of it then, but maybe it`s just as well!    Rich

1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 19.01. 2010 09:36 »
Touring around the Isle of Man plus 2 laps of the circuit (not racing) and the journey home probably amounted to about 300 miles.

The engine sounded good and didn't show any signs of vibration but it wasn't taken above 60pmh.

If anybody bought a bike like this it woudn't be noticable that it had been bodged.

Oh BTW...It's the same bike shown on my avatar.

Beezageezauk.

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 19.01. 2010 10:09 »
Richie: I hope you kept the 8" striking cobra. So you can wave it at your bike in a threatening manner, if it ever misbehaves.

How much is left of the bike you bought? Mine wasn't that bad, but I realised recently, that very few parts from my original purchase remain on the bike.

Cheers,
Iain

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #18 on: 19.01. 2010 10:46 »
Iain, i no longer have the cobra`s head, or the foot controls and side stand end which were chrome plated feet shapes! All that`s left is the engine (except head) eng/g/box  plates, top yoke, and the nut who decided it would be a good idea to restore it. Shocking really!
                                                                              Rich 

1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 19.01. 2010 17:06 »
Heyup Rich,

Did the guy who modified (chopped) your A10 actually expect to ride it??  Or even more to the point....did he expect to get it through the MOT Test??

A friend of mine has just acquired a '56 A10 to renovate and all the engine and gearbox bolts were made from threaded bar.  I thought that was a bodge until I read your story!!

Still...I suppose they're all there to try us.

Beezageezauk.

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #20 on: 19.01. 2010 17:39 »
Hi Beezageeza,  the bike was taxed and tested and on the road when i got it, and from a distance , looked quite good with metalic candy red paint and peanut tank, which incidentally, wasn`t  actually fixed to the frame, it just sat over the frame with just the fuel pipes stopping anyone just shoving it under their arm and walking off with it!
    I`m gonna have nightmares about it tonight......
Rich
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline jimmy

• Moving Up
  • Jim Victoria Oz
« Reply #21 on: 16.02. 2010 10:43 »
G`day
        while I can remember how to post a picture, this is my entry in the threaded rod award. This was on my 51 flash and I guess it was done when the bike was a paddock thrasher and not worth anything, lucky rocker boxes are plentiful.

Jim
1961 Shooting Star on the road   1951 Golden Flash on the bench