Author Topic: Urgent advice needed ref newly bought bent exhaust.  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
Hi guys,I bought a complete exhaust system before christmas,its for a 59 A10 Flash.The right side fitted very well,however the left side is very different,there is a bend ( as shown in pictures).Ok,so I thought it must be intentional,however there is no way the silencer will screw up to the silencer bracket holes,I´m about at least 15 cm behind.Should the exhaust  pipes be identical on both sides ?.Thanks again,yours-steve
ho ho ho

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
Re: Urgent advice needed ref newly bought bent exhaust.
« Reply #1 on: 16.02. 2010 17:37 »
Sorry thats the left side if you are standing behind the bike.
ho ho ho

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 16.02. 2010 18:32 »
Hello Steve!

Never ending source of fun that restoration, isn't it?  *smile* *smile*
But don't give up, the first successful rideout will compensate for all the efforts.

The pipe looks okay. There are two versions: the pre '58 and the post '58, like yours.
The pipes pre'58 have a kink upwards on both pipes which leaves the silencers pointing slightly upwards at the rear.
The post '58 RHS exh pipe is straight and the LHS has that double kink like yours. THis way it runs along under the primary case and then moves upwards so that the silencer sits on the same height as the RHS one. The silencers are mounted pretty horizontally.

So either your LHS pipe is too short or you might have the wrong silencer maybe. The pre '58 silencers are cylindric, while the post '58 ones are barrel-shaped (a bit bellied)?

HTH, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 16.02. 2010 18:41 »
Thanks marcus,(if I´d only known how so much of these stuff does not fit perfectly-maybe been too long in germany,here if it is 5cm then it is 5cm,usw).I´ll take some photos tomorrow,the silencer is way too far back to be correct....I´m giving up tonight,thanks for the tip,bis dann-steve
ho ho ho

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #4 on: 16.02. 2010 19:10 »
Just a thought Steve, you haven`t got a pair of goldie silencers have you? If that`s the case then you will have trouble with the left hand side, as discussed elsewhere on the forum. There are a couple of solutions though.  All the best, Rich
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 16.02. 2010 19:31 »
Goldie silencers(Thought he was either a Dj or the daughter of mr Locks),er I bought them from Fekt.com.Just gave the BSA year and model.The right side fits like a glove,was well pleased.I´ll take some photos tomorrow,but there is no way the silencer can fit right up to the proper position on this pipe and fit in the screw brackets,imho.
ho ho ho

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #6 on: 16.02. 2010 19:38 »
Sounds like you should have the standard cigar shaped ones, here`s a pic of a goldie silencer:
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 16.02. 2010 20:38 »
Hi Rich,I´ve just noticed (and then the panic starts to set in)in your picture you have written Golden Flash 59 which is the same as mine,but you have a round emblem,and mine has a pear shaped one  on the tank ?
ho ho ho

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #8 on: 16.02. 2010 20:43 »
Pear shape came in for 1960 on, together with the un-valenced front guard.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #9 on: 16.02. 2010 21:00 »
There is a bit of confusion in this area (to me at least), i may be wrong, but i think a 1960 bike year was started in august 1959, making any bike between aug `59 and aug `60 being classed as 1960. I have certainly seen plenty of `59 bikes with `60 bits and vice versa, all very confusing. For the record, here are a few changes made for the 1960 season:tank with pearshaped badges,new mudguards and stays,new seat, underslung rear brake arm, inspection hole for clutch adjustment, plus a few other minor changes.

regards Rich
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 16.02. 2010 21:00 »
Sorry Andy, but the post '60 front guard is valenced, just a different shape.
In my opinion a terrible design with "Y" brackets on the forks and one stay. Designed to crack.
Trev.

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 17.02. 2010 16:41 »
Sorry to have wasted all your time,I made a Bart Simpson mistake of massive preportions,the exhaust did´nt fit because I fitted the silencers onto the exhaust pipe back to front,no ,it did´nt think the rear end of the exhaust looked tacky.I need too get some sleep,thanks anyway for the fast advice.
ho ho ho

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 17.02. 2010 18:14 »
DOH *doh* *red*

He He we've all done it Stephen, well done for letting us known - promise not to mention it again

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco