Author Topic: Disappointed  (Read 1539 times)

Offline broom34

• Moving Up
Disappointed
« on: 19.02. 2010 20:11 »
Hi
             Anyone out there that can help me please, I've just rebuilt my A10 Plunger after having new big ends , a re-bore new high compression pistons and a new clutch,also fitted electronic ignition , now I thought great, BUT it won't start,what a letdown. *sad2*
            I have checked out the timing several times, checked the spark, everything seems OK it should go but it won't ,therefore can you help me please.

Richard

Offline A10rocket

• Moving Up
  • Lancashire UK
Re: Disappointed
« Reply #1 on: 19.02. 2010 20:24 »
 Is it sparking on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke?  Leads wrong way around ?
Just a thought.
1961 Super Rocket

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 19.02. 2010 20:26 »
If spark leads are fitted correctly, maybe you have a fuel problem (clogged carb jet, petrol tap, sticking float needle etc.)
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 19.02. 2010 21:03 »
G'day Richard, is it Boyer or Pazon. I run Boyer with a twin lead coil of a points type Rhonda Whore, which gives a wasted spark (both plugs every rev). I assume it was put together exactly as instructions. I had a problem in that if I set the plate with the magnet screw directly under the hole as per instructions it was too far advanced when checked with a strobe. So retarded the plate (turn clockwise) about 1/16" and was spot on. Another check is with the ign on disconnect the black/white wire you should get a spark at the plugs and with that wire disconnected turn the ign on and off, you should also get a spark.
If all good there, try some "Start Ya Bastard" spray to see if it fires.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bezabill

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 19.02. 2010 21:57 »
start spray how do you get that i may ned it

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #5 on: 20.02. 2010 00:57 »
Sorry Bill you still have to kick it. Nice little bike that, sort of bobberish with that seat.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline broom34

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 20.02. 2010 20:38 »
Thanks lads for all your ideas there's plenty to work at, looks like a long day tomorrow and by the way the electronic igition's a Boyer.thanks for the help

Richard

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #7 on: 20.02. 2010 21:59 »
I'd follow Muskrat's train of thought. I've got one bike with a Boyer, twin-spark (ie dead spark) set-up using 2 6v coils in series in a 12v system. That's a Norton system (clockwise drive) on a Royal Enfield which has to be triggered by a couple of turns on the kick-start before trying in earnest. You'd expect darn great sparks from a system like that at kick-start speed, but I have fatter ones off my magneto and traditional coil and cb systems. Cold starting can be a PITA. A few kicks and nothing happens, then suddenly, just as you think it won't, the thing fires up with a noise to waken the dead. Very mixture sensitive too in terms of amount of tickle - that bike runs a pair of Monoblocs. Once started it runs beautifully, and it starts hot OK. I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with it, least if there is I can't see what. Minor fiddling with the timing has helped, but not made it foolproof. Reckon they need a hefty spin on the kickstart, as well as a fully-charged battery (very important) and exactly the right plugs, perfect HT leads and caps, etc etc. Once or twice, a push-start has worked very well - but who wants to do that with 400lbs-odd of metal to shove around? To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with it, but I do really like the smooth running when it does fire up.
Bill

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #8 on: 21.02. 2010 07:12 »
Thanks Groily for the 2nd on that, but both my Boyers fire up first kick even when their too far advanced and on a battery as low as 9 volts. The one on the A10 cafe is a Notrun Commie system as it uses a shorter advance curve so I can combat pinging without being too far retarded at tickover. I'll start a new topic on that.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #9 on: 21.02. 2010 23:15 »
Maybe mine's not quite right after all then! The Boyer web site or other literature says '9 volt minimum' just as you say.A mate with an Interceptor says his starts always 1st prod like yours. But he hasn't got my pair of Monoblocs with one float chamber between them and a direct bottom feed to the rh side (which was standard but not perhaps ideal). Certainly makes tickover variable if you lean the bike over. Still, it's a work in progress and it looks quite nice by the standards of the general muck in my shed, so I'll stick at it. It's a shame that the cleanest bike I've got is the most sensitive - I've always said reliability increases linearly with the thickness of the s*** all over the thing. Just an excuse for a lack of 2-wheeled winter hygiene, of course.
If it's not the Boyer then, Richard probably needs to look at the carb as MG said? Certainly this cold (by European standards, not transatlantic) winter I've found one or to things that normally start by gently breathing on the kickstart have become a bit more sensitive. Not surprising really, oil like treacle, moisture around the place, carbs ready to ice up at the first excuse . . . . Roll on spring.
Bill