Author Topic: Someone needs an enclosed chainguard front part?  (Read 4799 times)

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Hello folks!

I have the front part of the fully enclosed chainguard to give away.
I thought about fitting an enclosed guard, so I repaired, derusted and repainted it in black 2-pack spray paint, so it is ready to fit. But as I don't have all the other parts which are hard to find, I decided that I like the look of the normal guard much better, so the front part is surplus now.  ;)

This annoying thing now is hanging from the garage ceiling to run into it and hit your head, so if someone needs it and is wealthy enough to pay the shipping costs and maybe a pint or two for me to compensate for the efforts of packing and shipping it, he can definitely have it (postage will be somewhere between 6-8 Euros to the UK, I will let you know when I have an exact quote).

Cheers, Markus

NO MORE AVAILABLE! See below
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Someone needs an enclosed chainguard front part?
« Reply #1 on: 20.02. 2010 21:08 »
Markus,
               That part is fitted with both full enclosure and top run chain guards.
Trev.

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 20.02. 2010 21:45 »
Trev,
Are you sure? I always saw this part for sale as front part for the f.e.c.g and if fitted, the chain wouldn't get lubrication from the crankcase breather anymore. Also the front edge of the two different upper covers that should fit in there look very different, the upper part of the fecg pointing upwards.
In case it really belongs there, I guess I'd better keep it and fit it next time I need new sprockets.

thanks, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 20.02. 2010 22:53 »
Markus,
              I am positively sure.
If you don't fit the front section you will have a gap between the inner chaincase and the chain guard which looks unsightly.
You should have a hole in the top of your inner chaincase which takes a bolt for the front section.
As to lubrication of the chain, I don't think it was the intention of the engine designers for the breather to supply oil to the chain.
Trev.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 20.02. 2010 23:31 »
Hi All
Trevor, As far asI know there are different versions of the inner primary case, some dont have the hole on top
I have never seen the front part of the total enclosure used with a top run guard!!
If you look at the BSA parts book there are different bolts shown for holding the sliding plate and the front guard
and short ones just for the sliding plate!!

Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 21.02. 2010 00:01 »
John,
             Every original bike I have pulled down had the front section with the top run guard.
Some people toss it when rebuilding because of the difficulty in replacing the inner case with it fitted.
I have seen some with spacers fitted to the sliding plate bolts to take up the space of the front guard, never a factory part but home made.
The inner cases without the hole were for the single sided brake models. The chainguard for them ends under the top of the inner chaincase but is not secured to it. You will find that some of these have a longer top guard cast in.
If the front section is not fitted to the full width brake models, as I stated above, there is a horrible gap between the chainguard and the chaincase.
Trev.

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.02. 2010 03:30 »
Here is a couple of photos of my '58 Flash showing the arrangement of the chainguard.
Another point, here in Australia the full enclosure was not common but at swap meets there always seems to be plenty of the front sections available but very, very few of the other three pieces.
It will be interesting to see how many other members have or don't have this piece fitted.
A friend of mine never fits them because of the difficulty of fitting the chain but the space left spoils the look of the bike.
Trev.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #7 on: 21.02. 2010 06:39 »
I wondered why mine had that gap there, now I know.

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 21.02. 2010 08:25 »
Thanks Trev!

You are right, the guard of my '55 SS is longer and there is no gap at the front (and no fixing hole on the inner primary casing, plus the fixings on the swing arm are different, wich were changed with the introduction of the fecg in 56).
I was wondering about the gap on the A10 and the hole in the inner primary, but actually didn't care too much about it (the gap is hidden by the tyre pump)

It makes sense to have that front part fitted if you want to upgrade your bike with the fecg, would be much less work. Maybe that was the idea behind it, who knows.

So I'd better keep it. There didn't seem to be too much interest anyway...

Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 21.02. 2010 09:14 »
I've just had a look in a 1960's parts book and there's a breather pipe in there (67-922, +clip 67-923), connected to the lhs crankcase.
I always thought the intention of the breather hole position was to lubricate the secondary chain, but with the enclosed part at the front, this wouldn't make sense.
So where would this breather pipe run and be attached to? Somewhere at the bottom of the engine?
Someone's got an earlier parts book (pre 56)? Would be interesting whether that thing is in there, too. Because until 1955 that front part was not available, so chain lubrication by the breather would have been possible (without that pipe).
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #10 on: 21.02. 2010 10:28 »
Hi Markus,
I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of your case section taken from the open end where the chain enters.. I have one fitted to my bike (along with the other parts!) but it seems an odd shape there, maybe it has been straigtened badly in the past!

If yours is straight & true & you hit your head once to often and change your mind I might be interested !!

Cheers,
Adrian
Bristol UK
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 21.02. 2010 10:33 »
I posted an article about the Super Flash (http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,2128.0.html).
On the last page, top right corner, it says: "To work in conjunction with this very thorough lubrication system there is a timed lubrication breather [...]. This is driven from the camshaft pinion, and it discharges through internal lines on the rear drive chain."

But there is no opening at that bespoken front part or any way of attaching a breather pipe there.
Maybe the breather pipe ony is used for the later s/a models to have the breather discharge somewhere at the bottom of the engine, and not on the chainguard?

I'm confused.  *dunno*

Adrian, gimme five minutes and I'll come up with a photo.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #12 on: 21.02. 2010 10:35 »
Ole Trevor sure knows his A10 stuff! what an asset to the forum!

Too right about the difficulty in fitting that forward part of the enclosed chaincase Markus was offering. No one mentions the horrid mess in fitting it either. I have the fully enclosed case on my Red A10, its a brilliant piece of kit, sure does keep the chain clean and the wheels clean from any oil fling. I was wondering recently when we saw that primary chaincase filled with grease, if it would be an idea to fill the rear chaincase with grease too? Would take a heck of a lot of filling though.

Edit: Adrian, If I remember correctly my front piece was slightly fluted outwards where the chain enters and exits, possibly this is so that the top and lower parts are then easier to fit as there was quite a bit of shoving and pushing with limited viewing, but once all in place it looked a well thought out and designed item.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 21.02. 2010 10:44 »
I hope that's the side you meant. Just let me know if you need any other pics of it.

The only part with mine that needed straightening was the opening for the rubber grommet at the bottom, the side you asked for looked pretty untouched to me.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #14 on: 21.02. 2010 14:30 »
Hi Marcus,
That's fine thanks.. ALthough a bit dark I can see that mine is plainly out of shape - it looks like comeone has trodden on it and then tried to straighten it out badly. The edge is slightly fluted as LJ says, mine is more like "flared" !!

I'm sure as LJ says it's going to be "interesting" getting it all back together...

As for the breather I don' think there's any difference with the later A10s (mines '61 built, '62 registered) as standard. However some, mine included, were modified & there's a little breather pipe on the crankcase. I only found out this courtesy of this Forum, thanks guys!

Here's a picture - hope it helps..
Cheers,

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...