Author Topic: Footrest Bolt Fitting  (Read 2556 times)

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
Footrest Bolt Fitting
« on: 09.03. 2010 13:35 »
Dear All,
Following the Bristol Show & Shepton Jumble I've hopefully got all the bits I need to put the '61 A10 Flash back together..
Believing the old one to be bent (it is a little) one of those bits is a new footrest bolt / shaft. I still have a problem trying to get the new one through the mounting though..

Nowhere can I find a decent diagram or photo that shows where the frame ends & the gearbox mounting plates join.. I'm guessing that the tube the bolt fits through is part of the frame with the gearbox plates fitting either side - is this so ??
In my case it doesn't quite line up, there's a small lip at either end which chews up the thread when you try & persuade the bolt through. If I loosen the gearbox plate lower bolt will this help at all??. It's only a bit misaligned but enough to be a nuisance..

Any tips appreciated..
Thanks
Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Footrest Bolt Fitting
« Reply #1 on: 09.03. 2010 17:21 »
If you download the Draganfly catalogue you will see a diagram of the footrests in section 29. They fit to the rearmost two holes at the rear of the engine/gearbox plates. The pin on the foot rest tubes locates into the small hole and then the tie rod fits through the whole thing. One problem is that the foot rest tubes become bent, and this can prevent the tie rod from passing completely through. all the best.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #2 on: 09.03. 2010 18:42 »
Thanks Goldy..
I'll have a look at the catalogue later as it won't download at present!. One of my mounting tubes was bent but a mate has straightened it for me so that's no problem. The trouble comes with passing the bolt through the holes in the gearbox plates. There's a tube between them & I can't see if this is loose or part of the frame as this is where things don't line up...

Cheers,
Adrian
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #3 on: 09.03. 2010 19:34 »
Hi Adrian, that tube is part of the frame, all i can suggest is loosening the g/box plates and then trying to get the stud through (loosen all studs so you can rattle the plates about). Worked for me, cheers, Rich  
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #4 on: 09.03. 2010 21:04 »
Hi Rich,
That's excellent , thanks - just what I needed to know.. Trouble is that'll be another part of the bike loose, must resist the temptation of more "while I'm at it" ideas....   *smile*

Cheers,

Adrian
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S

Offline 1660bob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 09.03. 2010 21:41 »
Hi, my twopence worth: i also have had problems here, and the fact that your footrest stud is bent is the clue! The tube you mention is indeed part of the frame, it is fixed into the square bracket that is welded to the bottom rear frame crosstube. The problem starts when the bike is dropped over in a spill (and  lets face it,most if not all of our 50+ year old machines have been horizontal at some time !) Those meaty, solid footrests dont give easily, and they are much thicker than the above mentioned frame bracket/tube assembly-result the bracket/tube/stud also get a severe tweak in any impact thus misalignment creeps in. I found this out the hard way-chasing the cause of misalignment and wear in the primary/ rear chains as the whole gearbox had shifted!! *eek* The engine plates are made of something akin to lead i think as they simply move also- i was shocked at how easily they bend when i went to straighten them!. It all adds up to a headache and i had to remove the bracket from my frame to properly straigten it out.It will be welded back as soon as i figure all is straight again..... I thought this restoration lark was supposed to be fun *sad2* Bob

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 09.03. 2010 22:04 »
It is fun, Bob.
It keeps the brain working!
  Trev.

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #7 on: 10.03. 2010 14:11 »
Hi Bob,
Noted thanks..I'll try loosening the plates first. If that doesn't work I'll probably enter "bodger mode" and use a file or drill to "correct" the problem - I lack the patience (and skill) to reweld sections of the frame!!

Adrian
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #8 on: 17.01. 2014 01:26 »
I ordered a new bolt for my swing arm project. The one that turned up was far too long (perhaps plunger type?) and had one of the nuts welded on  *eek* which doesnt seem right and has been plated in some form.
Will be returning it, but can anyone confirm the correct length?
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 17.01. 2014 06:17 »
hi Tim, is this the bolt that you are looking for,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 17.01. 2014 19:43 »
Is that 12 1/2" or 13? Hard to see from my phone. But yes! The one sent to me is 14" long
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 17.01. 2014 20:08 »
hi Tim, here is a better veiw with measurements, would`nt be to difficult to make one,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 17.01. 2014 20:49 »
Thanks,
 yes I should have done so in the first place but had an order of other parts and thought I'd just order and fit  *problem* ,but no typically the easiest part to fabricate is wrong.
Just wondering whether to send it back to the UK out of principle or chop off the welded on nut and tap some more thread on the one that turned up.
Oh the joys of living far from the suppliers.

Cheers
New Zealand