Author Topic: Spring is coming ... Crank renovation  (Read 8094 times)

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Spring is coming ... Crank renovation
« on: 18.03. 2010 11:48 »
Trying to get stuff sorted out before any fine weather may make it's seldom appearance (this is definitely not Australia). Noises (and play here and there) suggest the need for a proper job on the crank, big ends and crankbearings. Had it 'overhauled' some years ago by a local, this time I'd rather pay for some lasting result, using someone with real experience thus probably sending it to England, and at the same time get new bronze bushings all over.

Have been pushing this job away for too long, a relief to get started. Cylinders, cam followers, valves and pistons looks very nice (SRM job from many years ago). Will post my findings after inspecting the crank parts, and update as it (hopefully) progresses.

The question, is the timingside oil feed conversion + balancing worth it ?

Thanks
e

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Desburnett

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7 SS, Fazer 1000, Norton Commando 850
Re: Spring is coming ... Crank-time
« Reply #1 on: 18.03. 2010 16:48 »
Depends how old you are and if you want the bike to outlast you.

I had a similar decision to make last year and as I am 59 decided to go with standard set up (no oil feed conversion) as I am unlikley to see the benefits.
However if in 12 years time I am looking a a beat up big end then I made the wrong decision!

Des

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #2 on: 18.03. 2010 16:52 »
My Engine is currently in having the full job done. But I am only 36 so I am hoping that I will be riding long enough to make it worthwhile. My other consideration was that just because one day I have to stop riding, that doesn't mean that the bike should bite the dust as well. It makes me quite happy to think that someone will still be enjoying my BSA in another 50 or 60 years. 
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 18.03. 2010 16:54 »
My attitude to this is ...if you can afford it, get it done. Watch out for a long lead time to get it done before you send your engine over. Mine took 3 months, but this was not a concern because it was over the winter months. SRM do a good job though.
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 18.03. 2010 17:05 »
E,

I know what you mean about getting the winter work done before the weather turns good. For the last week, the weather in Chicago has been unusually beautiful for early spring (really, late winter). People don't exactly understand why I'm not that thrilled by that, but I haven't finished the valve job yet, with the valves are still on their way by Her Majesty's Royal Post. (Really, quite efficient and reasonably priced.)

Maybe Groily will chime in about sleeve versus needles on the timing side. I think he has done 1,253,400 miles on his sleeve bearing.

Richard L.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #5 on: 18.03. 2010 17:31 »
Not quite Richard! But I've done a good 20,000+ miles on what was an unknown bottom end when I got it, and it's still fine. No idea what it looks like in there, as haven't had to go down there. Only 2 bikes in my shed don't have to be looked at much - the other being the inimitable B31, which will outlive me for sure. It's 54 (well, the frame is) and I'm 55, and it's in better shape. If there was a fire, it's the B I'd try to save. Heresy I know.
My really high mileage bike's a really tatty AMC twin - we all know what they're meant to be like . . . and they are! But some of us are mentally deficient enough to like them all the same.
My lowest annual mileage bike is also - a (less tatty) AMC twin. Just put back the top end this very day after a fruitless effort yesterday to cure a sudden attack of chronic top-end over-oiling on a bitsa motor . . .some things are meant to try us. This afternoon's smoke haze over western France indicated it's probably worse now than it was the day before yesterday. But there's always tomorrow . . .
They've all ploughed on regardless through a medium hard winter - wear on tear on rider is probably more severe than on machinery. But with spring in the air, it can only all get better.
Bill

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 18.03. 2010 18:38 »
i agree with alanp srm are very good at what they do thieve been doing the needle roller oil end feed
mod for years and i had good service off them they did my engine and gearbox but it can get expensive
as i found out you could stick with plain timing bush but oil changes must be done regular my bottom end should be good
for 100,000 miles which i will never do i had it done for peace of mind its a very good mod also it increases the flow of oil to the big ends
which is a good thing 

dave

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #7 on: 18.03. 2010 20:55 »
SRM aren't the only company who do end feeds.

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,2039.0.html

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 23.03. 2010 11:30 »
Erling,
If you go down this path, please let us know how you arrange the balancing of your motor.
The two professional balancers I've contacted want a balance factor before they start.
I know the subject has been beaten to death but I can't find anything definitive on balance factors.
There have been a lot of figures thrown around but no one seems able to say <I had my A10 balanced to 58% and its sweet spot is between 4500 and 5500> as an example.
There must be a formula that gives an approximate figure.
It depends on the rev band in which you want it to be effective.
(Muskrat would probably select 10000 preferring to shake in horror)
There is no doubt a lot of accurate information is available but its near impossible to sift it from the myths and old wives tales.
As I said, if you go down this path please share the journey.
cheers

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 23.03. 2010 12:05 »
SRM can do the crank upgrade and dynamic rebalance for you, at 58%, but don't forget to send them the con rods, pistons and gudgeon pins/circlips. They've been doing this for so long now that you get the feeling it's in good hands. They'll also examine the bits for potential problems.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 24.03. 2010 21:46 »
Olev,
              The A10 factor is 54% or 65% for racing, according to Eddie Dow.
The frame has a lot to do with the appropriate figure.
I had my Atlas balanced to 70% and it is great. none of the legendary Norton horror shakes.
My Flash is 54% and is not bad. Not as smooth as the Norton.
When my RGS was on the road, I had two different shops have a go at it but I am sure neither of them had a clue as it was always shaky.
The bloke that I use now seems to know what he is doing.
Trev.

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #11 on: 24.03. 2010 22:46 »
I just collected my engine this very afternoon from Rob Wardle in Newcastle who has done a roller bearing and end feed conversion on it for me. I've also had the crank reground back to standard and he has welded up the nasty hole in the crankcase through which the con rod bolt had exited (pictures to follow).

Rob does all the end feed conversions for JB Restorations and seems to have done a cracking job.

Tonight I have fitted the engine back into the frame, fitted the primary inner and cush drive and fitted a new four spring clutch from Paul at JB Restorations. I am hoping to have the whole thing back together and running off its new Pazon ignition within the next couple of weeks and will feed back on how it's going. 
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline Jim

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 25.03. 2010 11:14 »
Hello Mosin,

I'm looking at doing an end feed conversion on my bike. Could you please let me have Rob Wardle's details, I've tried to find him with Google but to no avail.
Wimbledon, England.
BSA A10 x2
BSA B44 x2
BSA B40
BSA A65
TriBSA 500
Buell XB12R

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
« Reply #13 on: 25.03. 2010 11:27 »
Rob Wardle - 0191 4696428

He is in Felling in South Tyneside
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 25.03. 2010 12:07 »
Olev, i can't quite get to 10,000 but at 7500 it's sweet with a 76% balance I did myself, but I also took about 2 lb off the flywheel first. *eek*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7