Author Topic: 1960 Golden Flash Coachlining  (Read 1767 times)

Offline duncan32bsa

• duncan32
  • Moving Up
    • Duncan Family Website
1960 Golden Flash Coachlining
« on: 20.03. 2010 17:54 »
Hi there,
This is my first post. I've acquired what has turned out to be the usual bitsa:
1960 frame, 1961 engine, 1958 front end, half width hubs and so on.
My mission now that I have accepted it is to turn it into a correct bike for 1960 - apart from the engine that is.
Anyway, I've assembled a collection of tin ware which I intend to paint grey beige and the first thing I'm worrying about is the positioning and shape of the coachlining between the chrome and the painted part.
Are there any published dimensions for this or is a case of a trip to ht e motorcycle museum armed with camera and ruler?
Thanks for any advice!
Gary
1960 Golden Flash
1971 Norton Commando
2010 Triumph Tiger

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
Re: 1960 Golden Flash Coachlining
« Reply #1 on: 20.03. 2010 21:48 »
Hi Duncan,
Welcome to the Forum!! I can't help with the coach lining I'm afraid as my tank ('61 bike) was not painted especially well & half the coach lining is missing!
I shouldn't worry too much about the "bitsa" element, many bikes have changed over the years for one reason or another. If your motor is '61 there's a good chance you'll have the much better 4 spring clutch for a start !!

Some examples I've seen in Museums aren't a very good guide to originality either - I expect someone here will know, otherwise try the BSA OC or major suppliers like Draganfly who will probably be able to help..

Good luck

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 20.03. 2010 23:54 »
i had mine coach lined i think its about 5 mil between each stripe also he put varnish over the stripes
to make them last longer and the first line is thicker

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 22.03. 2010 14:11 »
Very interesting topic, Duncan. Someone might chime in with the correct procedure. (I suspect a pair of masks were applied, but how they were located I can't know.)

I have an original 3-1/2 inch round badge tank in Sapphire blue which has single gold coachlining. I could email pix, if you'd like.

David
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline duncan32bsa

• duncan32
  • Moving Up
    • Duncan Family Website
« Reply #4 on: 10.06. 2010 18:44 »
Hi Dave,
Sorry for my late response. I'm not as far forward as I thought I was in the rebuild and the painting has taken a back seat. However, I would very much appreciate any pics of the tank.
Thanks
Gary
gary@waterfield.plus.com
1960 Golden Flash
1971 Norton Commando
2010 Triumph Tiger

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 10.06. 2010 21:51 »
Someone might chime in with the correct procedure. (I suspect a pair of masks were applied, but how they were located I can't know.)

Thats a coincidence. Last weekend i took delivery of one of these Beugler stripers:  http://www.beuglereurope.com/english/products.html  Ive been practicing with it all week.(Ive not done any sort of lining before and I have a lot of lining to do shortly so I need to teach myself). When used with a good quality lining enamel it produces a really nice solid line .Straight or curved.  I imagine that it is the sort of tool that a modern day restorer might use on a fuel tank like a BSA's. If you look on the wbsite you can see that you can produce 2 paralell lines,one thick and one thin if required or single lines in a variety of widths. For curved lines like on the side of a petrol tank you can use a flexible magnetic strip (available from Beugler)to produce a guide for the tool to follow.
  Would be simple to use if lining out the centres of a wheel rim.
  Its quite an expensive tool to buy (in England) depending on which kit you purchase but i got mine new for virtually half price of ebay USA and a friend bought it back  which saved the postage costs. It looks like a quality item .I have often seen them demonstrated at shows.
 I can only gaze in awe and admiration when i see someone lining by hand with a brush with no template or guide to assist.
Mike