Author Topic: Breather?  (Read 929 times)

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
Breather?
« on: 13.03. 2010 16:36 »
I've not given any thought to the breather on my RGS rebuild, so when I had a look to see where it exits I found the hole on the rear face of the inner timing cover which I assume is the breather exit BUT it is plugged. Using a mirror to look in the hole all I can see is the top of a slotted screw plug. The bottom end of this engine was rebuilt by the best known engineering company on this island for BSA, so I'm assuming it was intentional. I'll ring them next Monday but has anyone in the meantime any idea what is going on here? Alan.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
Re: Breather?
« Reply #1 on: 13.03. 2010 18:21 »
Hi Alan, your breather should exit through a hole in the left rear crankcase, it may have had a pipe fitted like here: http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,2388.0.html 
all the best, Rich
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.03. 2010 18:32 »
Hi Alan - as Rich has said the breather exits at the back of the drive side crankcase, what you are looking at is the blanked off end of the breather gallery at the timing side, it goes from there up through the inner timing case ( via the timed breather on the end of the camshaft) and then across the back of the crankcase.
If you can get your mirror to look up from under the engine just to the drive side of the magneto you should spot it.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 13.03. 2010 20:01 »
Thanks, I was worried for a while there!
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.