Author Topic: Help,initial MOT tomorrow,2 panic questions  (Read 4308 times)

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
Help,initial MOT tomorrow,2 panic questions
« on: 23.03. 2010 18:21 »
1.What is this hole under the alu housing,what goes in it,(any chance of a picture of the missing part (engine drain plug ??)
2.The speedo cable moves far too much when the steering goes left,should it go inside the steering colum and then down the frame ?? cheers-steve
333  er, tried to fit the air filter but there was no space anymore (took off the toolbox to try and fit it,no luck,the only way would be to take the middle carb cooling section out,not going down that street tonight)...do you guys think the MOT tester will notice its missing(pic 3)
ho ho ho

Richard

Re: Help,initial MOT tomorrow,2 panic questions
« Reply #1 on: 23.03. 2010 18:52 »
steve that looks like the under side of the primary chaincase, if it is then it is more than likley the drain/level plug, which means there can be no oil in the chaincase, find a whitworth short bolt and fibre washer and blank it of for now, put in about a third of a pint of oil. not sure of exact amount but that will be along soon.
The speedo cable will move, if it was myself I would fasten it a bit higher up towards the head stock, do not worry about the air filter it is not an MOT requirement
Good luck
Richard

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 23.03. 2010 19:06 »
I agree with Richard and make sure you don't trap the cable on full right lock with no tight cable bends.
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 24.03. 2010 07:24 »
And well done for all your hardwork!
It's been a joy to watch the project unfold. It's been surprisingly quick too.
Iain

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #4 on: 24.03. 2010 08:12 »
Good luck with your MOT I'm sure you'll pass it without any problem. The hole under the primary is for a small tube that allows excess oil to overflow and to determine correct level in the case, It's an important part that you'll need to order from one of the BSA suppliers I bought a new one myself not so long ago.

It's the cable that you need to get right for your MOT as you dont want the bike revving if you turn hard to one side. It doe's not matter how slack the cable is so long as it works correctly.

No wonder your air filter wont go on... There is an unnecessary large spacer between the carb and head. I would remove this and just have a quarter inch tufnel spacer there instead.

Let us know your MOT result... Good Luck!

P.S. I notice your tappet cover breather pipes... Are you having engine breathing problems top end?
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 24.03. 2010 17:37 »
Hi guys,I just thought I´d make the breathing pipes more secure,I habe the missing part for under the engine,but believe there should not be any oil there,is it not a screw with a small pipe,so that there is ventilation ?.The MOT guy has already warned me that I´ll be back more than once,which was´nt very comforting,but they are ultra strict.My headlight bulb blew this afternoon and cannot get a replacement,so there is the light test failed straight away.As I told Markus (forum member MG who has been fantastic giving me info that I considered too dumb to ask the open forum)on Sunday I started the bike for just 15 seconds and was staight away warned in no uncertain terms the neighbours were going to call the Ordungsampt Basically noise control police.15 seconds !!! Ok it was loud and I refrained from starting her up Sunday Morning.Münster is ultra ultra Catholic and conservative...anyway.Tomorrow is going to take about 2 hours,1.5 hours of writing documents.Took me about 6 months from a basket case to as it is now.I actually wanted it to look really beaten up and used,but had zero chance with mot,so it now looks used and not perfect (unlike the forum photo contest which were amazing bikes).Truth be told,I wish I had had the money to give it to someone and say,there,fix it,I´ll call in 6 months time,however,I´d of never had the pleasure of trying to untighten rusted together nut and bolts,or spending 2 days searching for a small part that I´d put down somewhere and forgot where 2 monthes later when needed in a -12° garage.cheers-steve (kick off is at 1530 ),I´ll be happy if they only pick up 10-15 points.
ho ho ho

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #6 on: 24.03. 2010 18:25 »
Blimey this is painful just to read let alone going for the MOT itself... You have my fullest admiration Steve! Get the MOT done and out the way and then get riding the thing! I dont think you'll be disappointed.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 24.03. 2010 20:06 »
Stephen

nice work on your rebuild !

A box of fresh baked lebkuchen for the MOT guys (and possibly the noise police) will go a long way.

Hope you're riding her soon

scotty

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 24.03. 2010 22:12 »
HI Stephen,
Best of Luck with the MOT
The bolt with the tube attached is a level checking and drainplug in one item!!
Remove the big part to drain the oil
Refit the bolt with the tube and fill the case until oil drips out, leave till all the drips stop. (Bike level on its wheels)
Then a 1/4 BSF (or Cycle thread) short threaded plug is screwed into the tapped hole in the bigger hex to plug the hole

As such there is no breather in the chain case, only the "iffy" fit of the scrool behind the clutch!!!

HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #9 on: 25.03. 2010 00:21 »
As such there is no breather in the chain case, only the "iffy" fit of the scrool behind the clutch!!!

Actually the clutch adjusting screw plug has a very small hole, hardly a breather though.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 25.03. 2010 03:43 »
Hallo chaterlea25,thanks for the info,is the oil only the suplus oil that drips off the chain,if the other oil lays in the bottom what does it lubricate ? there are no moving working parts down there and the bike is´nt going to be shaken around enough for the oil to fly onto the chain and chain parts ?Is it quite a lot f oil or just a teacup full ? thanks as always-steve
ho ho ho

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 25.03. 2010 14:17 »
We don't have MOTS for bikes here  *smile*
What a forward minded liberal thinking bunch the Finns are.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 25.03. 2010 17:01 »
Hi Stephen,
I went and found an old plug/level thingy today
It measures 1.250in from the upper face of the big hexagon to the top of the tube
the tube itself is 0.83in (protruding)
This will give you approx 1in. of oil depth in the case, this is enough for the bottom run to dip into and lube itself
The Haynes Book gives contradicting amounts on the same page 95cc and 225cc?????
Just pourit in till is drips out!!
I use 10/40 Motorcycle oil suitable for wet clutches (NOT car oil) some people favour ATF
HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 25.03. 2010 20:57 »
Hi Lads,got away with only 4 points,3 easy ones,one so so,report to follow (inspector half broke his leg pushing down far too hard to kick start...seemed to lose intrest after that,still Ok bloke)
ho ho ho

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 26.03. 2010 14:53 »
Hi,no 1 headlight did´nt function(there was no bulb in-blew beforehand.2.Tacho had to also have kilometer points,drawn,painted,transfered on.He did´nt like the brake stop switch,he said it looked like his children had fixed the wires onto it(will take it off completely for next re-inspection.And last and not least the rear brake spring has to be at a vertical,180° angle,not sure how to do this(picture 1)I can get either 4 or 8 o clock but not 6....any ideas  anyone  (the brake shoes are in good nick,someone said I should make the turning pin larger by wrapping meta around it so makes thecylinder element larger ?)cheers-steve..very happy with yesterday
ho ho ho