Author Topic: Help,initial MOT tomorrow,2 panic questions  (Read 4325 times)

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
Re: Help,initial MOT tomorrow,2 panic questions
« Reply #15 on: 26.03. 2010 16:50 »
I have sympathy for you, but to be brutally honest I am tempted to say that you seem to have very little mechanical understanding and that you should get someone with knowledge and experience to have a look at it before you ride it - for your own safety.

The breather pipes shouldn't be there, a properly built engine doesnt need them.

The hole in the "engine" is a level drain plug hole in the chaincase just as people have already advised.

The rear brake shoes are obviously worn and need replacing. You took it for mot when you knew it wasnt ready, why ?? The tester would take one look at it and be concerned over its safety.

I would be worried about what other unseen things could be wrong - I would seriously suggest you get someone who understands mechanicals to take a look before you ride it.

Good luck
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 26.03. 2010 17:04 »
Wow thats quite heavy mate (if not elitist )
ho ho ho

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 26.03. 2010 17:12 »
Sorry A10 ignore that,I thought you said I should sell it to someone with more understand of technical knowledge.I knew I would´nt get it through without a bulb,but at least I know now what I have to do.
ho ho ho

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #18 on: 26.03. 2010 17:28 »
Relax Steve I'm sure Andy doesn't mean to sound harsh, if anything it is good of him to show concern for you...

The rear brake effort does look bad and does not surprise me that it is a failure point. The angle of brake arm is too far forward and should be more 8 or 7 o'clock angle, 6pm the minimum. The brake shoes could well be okay and not worn down but, has the brake drum been skimmed too much? and is the cam a smaller of fatter one? (see my picture for explanation of what I mean here) The fatter cam helps to compensate for worn shoes and skimmed drum. I don't think there should be an external spring wrapped around the base of lever like shown, this seems to suggest to me that there are no springs on the brake shoes.

It's good that your having a go with the mechanical aspects as we all have to learn at sometime, I've indeed learnt such a lot with my own machines. Good Luck!  *smile*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 26.03. 2010 17:42 »
Yes sorry Andy,bit too fast off the cuff,with the fantastic help from the forum members (on and off the forum) its been nut for nut rebuild by asking others . Sorry again-steve
ho ho ho

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 26.03. 2010 19:19 »
Stephen,

Though it requires disagreeing with my friend LJ, I think I must add that the spring wrapped around the base seems quite necessary in order to return the brake pedal to the up position. Of couse. LJ is correct with regard to the position of the arm. It needs to be pulled off and rotated clockwise one or two points with respect to the internal star of the arm hole. Now, what is going to happen to the spring when you do this? If the spring is wound too tight where is sits in the picture, it may be just right once the arm is in the correct position. If it gets too loose when the arm is in the correct position, then the stop end of the sping might be deformed or stopped against the incorrect point.

In writing this, I'm asking myself if the arm position is just the result of worn shoes. I could be, but it almost doesn't matter (unless the shoes are dangerously worn). If the shoes are worn such that the arm is in the position shown, by adjustment of the cable, then the arm still needs to be repositioned to compensate for the wear in the shoes. Once the arm is back at the correct angle, work it to see how far the cam must turn to engage the brake. If it is a long way, you may need to go one more point clockwise on the star and preload the cam with the cable. At some point, this would become a clear indication of very worn shoes, maybe not making noise, but probabaly pretty close to it. In any case, they might be good enough to pass your dread MOT, so you can postpone replacing the shoes (just a very short time, please) .

Richard L.

P.S. As just a tiny tease, maybe change your topic to "MOT pending, just 50 more questions". They will be answered, even if, maybe, you should ask a mechanic to peek at your work.

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 26.03. 2010 20:22 »
Thanks Richard for the tip.I have one mechanic who deals with english bikes,however he did´nt really want to take on this work/restoration because he deals mainly with trial bikes and has´nt worked on a oldie Brit bike for years.I am also not really cost effective for him against other rich semi profi trial riders.I could´nt find anyone,one guy wanted about 120 pounds an hour.There were two profi guys in germany,but they were only for very very rich customers.Fact was/is,after trying a couple of guys who talked the talk .....I ended up with nobody.So my mechanic said he would check the engine as a favour (we were both in the music business years ago),and that was it,he helped out when he could,I dreaded calling him up to ask something because that was´nt the deal.However he did what he could,and was very fair with his prices.There will be no more questions I guess as I´m 98% there,and want to thank everyone for tolerating basic questions (and very boring)for the past 5 monthes,if it had´nt been for this forum,and the helpfullness,I would of sold her on.Still there is one more BSA saved.I´ve seen the Youtube video from BSA Bills ride across Australia and thats what I want to do on this bike within the next 10 years.cheers-steve
ho ho ho

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #22 on: 26.03. 2010 20:27 »
You do a great job. Learning as one goes along, always think safety first, and sort out problems as they come. I started in the blind, and picked up some meager basic skills over time, and my own mistakes were great teachers :O)
'we were both in the music business years ago' me too, btw.

erling

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #23 on: 26.03. 2010 20:34 »
LJ
Sorry mate but I have to disagree with your comment that a fatter cam compensates for worn shoes and or skimmed drum. It might help make the shoes touch the drum giving the sense that its adjusted ok, but in reality, the two would have different radii, and the shoes would only contact the drum at the ends leading to a poor brake with fast wear.
Any skimmed drum needs over sized shoes fitted to have the same radius as the drum.

PS off to Vale Onslow's tomorrow for an mot on the black flash.

PPS Stephen,
I don't worry about "ists" or "isms" mate, I don't do political correctness here, its another unwanted modern invention that I can do without. Anyway, like I said, good luck with your MOT and keep asking the questions, we all had to learn.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 26.03. 2010 20:57 »
Stephen,

Absolutely agree with Erling. You've done a great job getting your bike to this point and you will (consider that an order) have a great time riding it. Also, don't say you're at the end of the questions, the most knowledgeable people here (which excludes me) still have the occasional question (I have far more than the "occasional").

Richard L.

Richard

« Reply #25 on: 26.03. 2010 21:24 »
forgive me for taking this long to reply to your posting of the rear brake, and well done so far.
To me gentlemen the position of the brake plate seems incorrect possibly due to the anchor arm being a tad short, look at the photo and note the position of the cable , it seems to be coming at a downward angle, is this correct?, imagine if you can the position of the brake arm if the drum was rotated clockwise to bring the cable entry on a more level keel this would then require a longer anchor arm, but would almost put the brake arm in the correct plane, without altering the return spring tension
. ignore all this as incorrect, see my next post
I have taken a picture of mine to compare, hope this helps
Richard

Richard

« Reply #26 on: 26.03. 2010 21:29 »
having just posted and compared the pictures I can now see I am incorrect, the cable is at that angle due to the incorrect position of the brake arm.
I could have removed the post but at least it shows one to compare to, also note that I have not got a spring on the brake arm but a long coil spring on the cable , which is doing the same thing, which is correct?
Richard it may be LJ is correct about the spring as I also have a spring on the brake arm which i believe is standard, it may be a year thing mine is 1961
Richard

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 26.03. 2010 22:26 »
Richard,

Having seen yours, now I'm not so sure about the spring any more (sorry LJ). My '55, with rod pull, uses a spring similar to Stephen's, so I thought the operation on the right would be similar to the operation on the left. I can't quite tell from the picures, but it seems Stephen might have a longer boss sticking out from the brake plate, around which the spring wraps, whereas, the boss  can't be seen very well in your photos (and neither can Bruce Springsteen).

Richard L.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #28 on: 27.03. 2010 10:38 »
Well here are my back brakes... No evidence of any external springs at any time, I've even looked at the base plate to if there has been any wear and there is none.

Interesting comment from Andy, thanks for that, I can understand your explanation having given further thought to this.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #29 on: 27.03. 2010 11:08 »
Hi Stephen,
Does your brake operating arm have a square hole or a star shaped one?
When I got my bike it had a square hole limiting the number of positions it could be fitted by. I don't know if these are differnt part numbers, or if mine was off a different bike entirely.
Cheers,
Iain