Author Topic: oil tank  (Read 1719 times)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
oil tank
« on: 02.04. 2010 12:31 »
Couple of questions arise now that I've got to the oil tank fitting on my project,
1. what year did the fully rounded type of oil tank come in
2. what would I ask for at my local engineering shop to join two of the armoured oil pipes together, obviously it's female to female but what size and thread ( bsp I think)

I'm fitting an oil filter in the toolbox ( in the planning stage as you will have gathered)

Many thanks Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
Re: oil tank
« Reply #1 on: 02.04. 2010 15:19 »
1) 1958
2) 1/2-18 BSCon

David
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 02.04. 2010 17:05 »
Thanks David
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 03.04. 2010 03:47 »
David,
              Isn't that thread 1/4 BSPP?
  Trev.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 03.04. 2010 03:57 »
Yes, that's it, I just bought the die for cleaning up the nipples on my oil tank. The second "p" stands for parallel as oppposed to tapered thread. So what your looking for is a 1/4"-1/4" female-to-female BSPP coupling. At least, I think that is a complete enough description to end up with the right part.

Richard L.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 03.04. 2010 04:01 »
I'm glad I got that right!
I hope David is not offended.
  Trev.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 03.04. 2010 04:14 »
Sorry, one more thing, 19 threads per inch. Here is a photo of the die I bought.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 03.04. 2010 11:27 »
Thanks everyone - I'll be in Berwick on Tuesday so will call in at "Woods" and get what I want.

I bought an oil tank yesterday ( on Ebay ) I think it is the less rounded type so not correct for either of my 59 - 61 A10s, I did get it though for half the price of the last one I bid on.
Not sure just how much difference there is betwixt the early and late one, I remember an early one being pointed out to be at Peebles jumble a few years ago, but thought it looked ok really.
Anyway I need a tank to keep my Flash on the road until I get it's tank painted, then that tank will replace the tank on my project the paintwork of which I ruined with an electric heat torch -  *doh* yet another senior moment.
Yesterday I managed to catch a finger ( just one ) in a lawn scarifier, I now wonder if I'm getting sillier in my dotage or just not as quick.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 03.04. 2010 11:40 »
Watch out mate! You'll need your fingers for fixing and riding your bikes.  *doh*
However, silly accidents are not age-related for sure. Don't ask me why I know...  *smile* *whistle*
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 03.04. 2010 19:46 »
Trev and Richard - you're correct. I pulled the trigger too soon on this.
Thanks for covering me.

David
David
'57 Spitfire

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 03.04. 2010 20:38 »
Bill, I had no idea what a lawn scarifier was. When I looked it up I thought, "Oh crap, was his finger left on the ground or shredded like string cheese?" I hope, neither and that you are doing OK.

Richard L.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 03.04. 2010 21:49 »
Thanks for the concern Richard - I got off pretty lightly nicked the end of my thumb nail and caught the first finger just below the nail, broke the skin and bruised the nail,
didn't half throb for quite some time.
way off subject but a tip for anybody going to use one of these scarifier s (no not the one re fingers and moving parts) the problem with them is the collection bag will never be big enough for the amount of moss and dross they produce, I held the rear plate ( that sits on top of the bag and covers the whirling blades when the bags not on) up with a bungee strap, not too high or you get covered with moss and not too low or it wont allow the stuff out and will burn out the motor.
Obviously you then have to rake the stuff up but it's less work than emptying the bag every five metres.
But please be careful with these Qualcast maneaters.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill