Author Topic: Why would she not start?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
Why would she not start?
« on: 14.04. 2010 15:09 »
Hi You Guys, Did a 25 mile run yesterday, georgeous weather. This run was to take the mileage up to 50 since a full rebuild prior to torqueing the head again and starting a full running in program. I stopped about a mile from home for a photo shoot by a dis-used garage, the relic pumps are still there. Got my Shots went to start it up for the mile home, no joy!!. fuel was ok! By this time she had cooled down quite a bit but wasnt stone cold. Like a wally I had no mobile phone and no coins/keys with which to open the tool box. I tried for about 1/2 an hour still no joy so I pushed it home!!
I decided a step by step diagnosis was required. First I disconnected the kill switch wire to the mag as this was the last thing I did to stop her. Tickled the carb, away she goes first kick. Re-connected the wire thinking that would prove it but alas she fired up straight away!!.
I am going to go for another run tomorrow, no stopping til I get home and then leave it for 20 mins and try starting her again.

Any ideas why a warm/start should be a problem!!

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Re: Why would she not start?
« Reply #1 on: 14.04. 2010 16:21 »
Sorry to hear that, I hope you are not too frustrated.

Did you have the mag rebuilt?
Could be a faulty condenser (or armature).

Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #2 on: 14.04. 2010 21:40 »
Hmmmm process of elimination I think... sticking kill switch? much sympathy for pushing an A10 home, you soon get to realise just how heavy the bike is.... got the t shirt! Hope you get sorted out soon.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Josh Cox

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 14.04. 2010 23:03 »
you soon get to realise just how heavy the bike is

I had my bike weighed last week, with a full tank of gas, 201 KG (442 LBS for you old farts *smile*).
Black 1953 Golden Flash Plunger

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 15.04. 2010 00:37 »
Check that little plastic mesh screen inside your banjo fitting on the monobloc.Mine is always semi blocked with crud allowing only just enough fuel to flow.Also these twins need lots 'o tickling hot or cold. How long does it take to dribble fuel whilst tickling? This is a giveaway!

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #5 on: 15.04. 2010 19:16 »
Thanks for your concern re pushing it home, to many hours gone into this one to abandon her. Haven't tried her again today, work got in the way. For you Markus, yes the mag was rebuilt about a year ago when she was first assembled from the basket case she was. Thanks wilko, will check the gauze. I have never checked how many depressions of the tickler before it dribbles, but I will now.

Regards to all Huddie

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 23.07. 2023 21:58 »
Sitting on a pub/bar patio resting my leg because my bike is giving me unusual starting trouble, even for being warm. Started on two kicks at home. I have been lax changing plugs and checking points and timing. Warm is usually three or four kicks. I have an EasySpark, so maybe the dreaded coil leaks are starting to get me. I assume it will start so I can get home, but won't be going out again before isolating the worsening problem. If I sat here for two hours, I'm sure it would be fine. Sorry for the long story but gives me something to do while resting (myself and the bike).

Richard L.

Online roys51a10

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 23.07. 2023 23:05 »
The few times mines not started when warm, i found holding the throttle fully open when kicking it has started it. Not sure if leaving it a short while floods enough to stop it sparking.
Dads 1951 A10

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 24.07. 2023 00:32 »
Well, after wife and daughter showed up to rescue me and, in the process, eat a bunch of chicken wings with me, I got her started (the bike, not the wife).  The solo bar singer/guitarist that was set up next to my bike thought it would be fun to encourage me starting the bike by getting the other patrons involved. Without them hearing it, I turned to him and said, "Dude, lay off it. I'm not happy about this." He did, nevertheless, there was applause when she started.  I flashed him the peace sign (not the other one) as I left.

Richard L.

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 28.07. 2023 02:38 »
Have a look at the plug colour. If the idle circuit is too rich it will struggle to start hot. As mentioned a couple of kicks with the throttle held wide open may help. I find mine requires tickling and air lever when cold and nothing but a kick when warm. Also if you have an advance and retard lever the spark weakens on retard so maybe kick it with the advance dialed up. Its only a knee cap after all. 
NZ