Author Topic: A10 Spitfire Scrambler High Level Exhaust  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
A10 Spitfire Scrambler High Level Exhaust
« on: 20.04. 2010 09:32 »
Looking to maybe buy a new exhaust for my steed.

Does anyone know of a reputable dealer/manufacturer in the UK who supply's good quality exhausts?. I have heard "armoursltd" maybe able to help me, has anyone bought an exhaust from these guys and are systems up to scratch?
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
Re: A10 Spitfire Scrambler High Level Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 20.04. 2010 12:17 »
From memory i have purchased at least 14 exhausts from Armours over the last 30 years for various bikes . They have all been excellent quality and fitted well.
Although i suspect they buy in the silencer clips as they are not as well plated as the actual pipes and silencers .
Mike

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 20.04. 2010 13:46 »
Thanks Mike for the heads up, I think I will bite the bullet and go ahead and order one.
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline melvyn

• Moving Up
    • Chicago 9 Blues Band
« Reply #3 on: 20.04. 2010 14:11 »
Hi I recently purchased a siemese system for mine & had a struggle, but got it fitted in the end, thet were out of stock of the high leval a month or so ago, good luck.

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 20.04. 2010 15:46 »
That's a fine-looking '57 Spitfire, Bruce.

I expect you know it, but for benefit to other readers who might not, the high level pipes weren't fitted until the 1959 model year.

Let us hear about your Armours experience.

David
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 20.04. 2010 17:04 »
Hi David,

Nice to hear from you again, & thanks for the bike compliment.

Yes I was aware that the high level exhausts were only introduced on later models. However I do like the look of the dual crossovers so thought I would treat myself to a set and try them out. My originals are looking a little tatty at the back end where the pipes meet the extender pieces.

Who knows, they could go straight on ebay if I don't like them (or the missus finds out I have been splashing out). I will keep you up to date as to how I get on.
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline NickSR

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 20.04. 2010 23:08 »
Hi Bruce
Could try Lyford Classic Sevices their part no LSC5162XA Long High Level Pipes.
www.lyford-bsa.co.uk

Phone no: 01773 768900

I have only bought parts, good service, very helpfull so I would of thought the pipes would be of good standard.

Regards
Nick
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 21.04. 2010 09:54 »
Thanks Nick
 *smile*
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 21.04. 2010 11:21 »
Hi Nick,

Just spoke to Lyfords, apparently they have stopped selling most exhausts due to customers complaining they didn't fit correctly!. They did however tell me that they bought theirs from Armours so I will give them a call later.

Regards
Bruce
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 21.04. 2010 11:48 »

Just spoke to Lyfords, apparently they have stopped selling most exhausts due to customers complaining they didn't fit correctly!. They did however tell me that they bought theirs from Armours so I will give them a call later.

Regards
Bruce

So their product comes highly recommended then? *smile*
You might want to consider getting a set fabricated in stainless, by an exhaust maker. a friend in Scotland got a set made for his Yamaha and they worked out considerably cheaper than a new set from Yamaha. The maker would be producing them to fit your bike...so they would.
It's certainly possible to buy kits of bends and straights in stainless to DIY in the correct diameter for Triumphs, don't know about BSA.
Oh and my high levels from Armours didn't fit without a lot of work either.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 21.04. 2010 12:58 »
Hi Iain,

Now I worried!, what exacty was wrong with your pipes from Armours?, what did you have to do to make them fit?

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 21.04. 2010 13:19 »
Hi Bruce,
Well my pipes are the type that go on either side of the bike. So they are different from the type you are considering. I'm not sure what they are for but I was sold them as A10 pipes.
when i got the pipes I had to knock a huge ding in the right hand side one to clear the oiltank, and on the other side I had the toolbox reshaped to allow the pipe to clear that.
I also cut slots and teased the pipes where they went into the head to allow them to fit better. They wanted to sit at a crazy angle, they now follow the lines of the primary chaincase and timing side, as they are obviously meant to going by the curves in the pipes.
There might have been easier and subtler ways to improve the fit, but I was young, inexperienced and with few resources at the time. They're still not quite right, the left hand one does want to spring out. Having said that, the pipes are about 16 years old and the chrome is still great.
Cheers,
Iain