Author Topic: Bsa A10 v A7ss  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Mick Parry

• Active
Bsa A10 v A7ss
« on: 03.11. 2009 15:47 »
Chaps

I currently ride a 1959 BSA B31 which is the alternator based 350cc single. I use it mainly for cruising around the cotwolds at around 45/55 mph. I rarely go faster than that.

I now fancy something with a bit more grunt and will stick with BSA's because I like them.

The natural upgrade is to either a 500cc twin or 650cc twin.

I have taken a fancy to the A7ss which I would imagine is faster and smoother than a bog standard A7.

How does the A7ss compare to the A10 ?

Is one better than the other in any respect ?

I have never ridden a A7ss, so any comments would be welcome.

Regards

Mick

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Bsa A10 v A7ss
« Reply #1 on: 03.11. 2009 19:08 »
G'day Mick,
                either are great bikes. The A7SS will rev a little harder than the A10 and top out at about 90mph
The later A10's are more robust with thick flange barrels and large journal cranks and have a lot more grunt, top out at just over the ton.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #2 on: 03.11. 2009 22:06 »
Hi Mick... Nice to have you with us... Like me who also likes to pootle around at 45/55 mph. I'd say that a bog standard A7 is good enough for you. My early A7 longstroke is not a lot less thrilling than my later A10s. You'll be fine with whatever you go for, I'm sure.

P.S. Why not try a plunger?
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline NickSR

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 03.11. 2009 22:37 »
Hi Mick
Welcome to the form, I think the choice between A7, SS, A10 or SR will come down to what is available for you to purchase, with the speeds that you are talking about and you what a bit more zip any will suit your requirment.
May be worth trying to get one with TLS conversion already done its not how fast you can go its fast you can stop.

Look foreward to seeing some photos of your new bike.

Regards
Nick
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #4 on: 05.11. 2009 13:36 »
I use it mainly for cruising around the cotwolds at around 45/55 mph. I rarely go faster than that.

Mick, Same as me. I go up Saintbury or Dovers Hill, ride around by Broadway Tower, Snowshill, Chipping Campden, Stow on the Wold, Moreton, Burford as far as Cirencester,- on my A10, sometimes with "er indoors" on pillion. The A10 is great at those speeds up and down the hills and has plenty of grunt.

BTW, where are you based?

Andy
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #5 on: 06.11. 2009 02:20 »
You don't mention if the new bike is to be as well as your B31 or is replacing it.

If you're keeping the 350 then having a plunger 650GF might make the most sense. If you enjoy relatively low speed poodling about a chair would also give you another point of difference to your swingarm framed single.

Lots of fun to be had with a training wheel on the side!
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

IanH

« Reply #6 on: 04.05. 2010 22:08 »
Just one thought to bear in mind.

An iron head twin will be a lot quieter than one with an alloy head. But you cant go wrong with either a A7ss or A10 the A10 having slightly longer legs.

Offline cus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 04.05. 2010 23:05 »
G'day All,
On the speed thing, I normally sit on 55-65 mph, & sometimes squirt up to 70 - 75mph
on my S/R. I certainly don't want to thrash it, but it does it fairly easily with minimal
vibration & next to nill oil use. Any slower around here & you'll have a row of cars
up your clacker.

regards, Cus
56 G/Flash project

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #8 on: 05.05. 2010 00:36 »
Mick I think there are a couple of things to consider. Are you in the financial position and are you prepared to spend the time searching for and purchasing a particular model. Remember you may have to view quite a few before finding a suitable one.

I think Nick hit it on the head here, quite often we buy bikes that come up for sale locally, not necessarily because they are the particular model we want, I know that has certainly been my case. If you have found a A7SS that is available to you I am sure you would be very happy with it. If you have to go searching for one then maybe you could consider some others.

I have a B31 and a B33 and also short and long stroke A7's and plunger and s/arm A10's. They are all very good bikes and all have their own plusses amd minusses.

If you have been happy with your B31 and intend to continue riding in similar areas at similar speeds but would like some more go then I would recommend a plunger or early s/arm A10. These are very easy bikes to live with and depending on where you live should be reasonably easy to find a decent one. The later A10's have thick flange barrels and big journal cranks etc but I think you would have to pay more for one. The earlier ones are very reliable and would give you all the performance you could want in your situation. These bikes will cruise happily all day at 65mph.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you can find and like, they are all good and I am sure you would be happy with any BSA twin.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 05.05. 2010 10:26 »
Hi Mick and welcome to our friendly forum.

I also run an Alternator model B31 together with several twin cylinder BSA's.

I can agree with the previous comments if you are parting with the B31 and replacing it with a twin.  However, if you are adding an A7 or A10 to your stable I would suggest sticking to a 1958 or 1959 model.  This way the vast majority of cycle parts would be interchangeable and spares would be less of a problem to you.

This, of course, would depend on how genuine the bikes are!!

I have been collating information on B31 and B33 Alternator models for many years now and have a fairly comprehensive register of these models.  I would be curious to know if yours is listed.  Would you consider sending me your engine, frame and reg no. so that I can check on this?  You could send me a PM if you didn't want to publicise the details. Cheers. 

Good luck with your search and safe riding.

Beezageezauk

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #10 on: 06.05. 2010 19:49 »
Hi Mick,
Welcome !!
I don't have a B31 but I do have a 350 single (Velo Viper).. My A10 is also in bits at present but my limited riding of it so far would confirm it's probably what you're looking for..
The twin has loads more torque than a single yet at the same time it's a nice easy ride - the bike doesn't demand you go fast if you don't want to ..
I once had a Laverda 650 Sport IE , a twin,same capacity but much more modern, wouldn't tolerate top at less than 60 and the chain snatched at less than 3000rpm  - an A10 is the exact opposite.

If possible keep the B31, it's always nice to have a single to use, less to go wrong too.. As for buying locally, I did that (Glastonbury, about 20 minutes away) as I was being lazy & the bike was also inexpensive as these things go. The downside is that although I rode it home and then around a bit I soon found it needed "the odd thing". It's still in bits now (I bought it last Autumn) so maybe it's worth travelling for a good one...!!

My choice was a late 1961 iron head swing arm A10 & that's one thing I wouldn't change..

Good luck..

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...