Author Topic: My german mechanic can my clutch problem,no further,need help.  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
Hi guys,spent the last month trying to sort out the clutch problem.It stays engaged for a lot of the time,and no amount of adjustment on the clutch lever,the clutch box arm,or clutch rod adjusting screw , changes this.My mechanic is losing in intrest fast and I need to throw him some srcaps so he stays on the case.Couple of yes no questions.There are 20 roll bearings ? should the clutch plates of been oiled before fitting,mine are almost dry ?,Could the clutch plates be too small (long shot) or thin ?? Any ideas would gratefully taken,thanks-steve
ho ho ho

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Stephen can we assume this is a four spring clutch ( 20 rollers)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
yes.When I took it to the MOT two weeks ago,the tester told me the gears were all on top of themselves,and clunked now and then ,maskhed untill they found the right one.Sometimes started in what I think would be third.Sorted that out,but when the clutch is released,gear ingaged,the revs die down....in N alone it sometimes stalls.Took a look at the chaincase side,maybe the small chain is a wee bit too tight.The outer housing which houses the clutch plates has quite a bit of freeplay.
ho ho ho

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Not too sure but maybe you still have a gearbox problem.
However some things about the clutch
1. It has been reported here that some rollers bearings exist that are not the right size, too long and can bind against the clutch centre.
2. unlike the drawing in the parts manual the first plate should be a metal plate, six plain ( metal) and five friction plates.
3. the four clutch springs need adjusted so that the pressure plate lifts square when the clutch lever is pulled in.

I've no doubt others will offer more suggestions

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
Also, it is vitally important that the discs are dead flat.  If they are not, the steel plates can be flattened on a large disc sander and the friction plates on a piece of glass by hand.  At least that's what my german mechanic (me) thinks *smile*.
Alex

Too many BSA's

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi Stephen,
there are many and various reasons for clutch drag, some already mentioned
1) are the plates free in their slots/ grooves?
2) are the grooves free from indents /damage?
3) what oil have you put in the case? some prefer ATF, I use castrol 10/30 "motorcycle" oil
4)The clutch operating arm and the clutch cable must be at the correct angle to ensure maximum separation of the plates. 90 degrees at half lift
5) Is there play in the clutch lever pivot at the handlebar,or at the gearbox reducing lift?
6) is the primary chain adjusted correctly?
7) what type of clutch friction plates are fitted?
There are some really shite ones out there!!!!
I have had difficulty with plates that have a light greyish colour friction material on them!!!!!

HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
Thanks,made a list of your points,will hand them over today.
ho ho ho

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
After further forum information,I need to buy a complete clutch set up,thank you for your tips,time and help-steve
ho ho ho

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
G´day mate,did you ask me for something else earlier this week ? anyway I bought one off evil bay complete and new for 215 plus 23 postage.Got to sort out this mule for once and for all.My knee has swollen up really bad,from kickstarting and pushing the bike onto the pavement,and rullling her up on the stand.(I´ve football ,rugby and other injuries to my right knee for over 30 years).Not going to get an electric start ,but will start practicing with the left leg,and see how that goes.
ho ho ho

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
Hi guys,so I fitted the new clutch (we´ll I did´nt ) and its fantastic.Even got neutral,no problem,the clutch lever is almost like butter.The reason for the very stiff lever before was that the old springs were absoulute so stiff,it was almost impossible to squeeze any movement out of them between two hands.I thought springs lose their springiness not gain with time.They were also slightly thicker than the new ones.Thanks chip whoever you are for the clutch,everything turned out great.What is the forums thoughts on adding a rear brake light switch ?? worth it or not ? Thanks again everyone for their help and imput ....cheers-steve
ho ho ho

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Umm I'm surprised you weren't required to have one fitted for your MoT.
It's got to beat having a car ram you up the chuff.
Do you have one one your front brake cable instead?
Cheers,
Iain

Offline Stephen Arsenal

• A's Good Friend
Hi I had one and was either told to remove it,or make it look not so amauturish !! from the MOT tester.He said it looked like one of his children had rustled the wiring up(el cheapo with the wiring going around the two screws).I said nothing.....sometimes better to say nothing.
ho ho ho