Author Topic: Spitfire Scrambler Exhaust Mounting  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
Spitfire Scrambler Exhaust Mounting
« on: 12.05. 2010 23:40 »
I have just bought a high level exhaust from ebay for my spitfire scrambler, fearing the worst after hearing horror stories of ill fitting pipes I was pleasently suprised to find that mine fitted reasonably ok (after taking a hacksaw to the right hand pipe and chopping off 10 mm or so).

Now that the hard parts over I thought it would be a breeze to finish the job, however I just can't find out in any of my manuals/books how the exhausts actually secure to frame at the back end. My parts catalogue shows a bolt, clip and spacer arrangement (65-0292,  42-2703 & 40-6516) which I think sits behind the heat shield.  I presume this is used for this very purpose but just how does it secure to the frame?

Is there anyone out there with a scrambler who can help me out and put me out of my misery with an explanation or photo?

Many Thanks in advance
Bruce
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: Spitfire Scrambler Exhaust Mounting
« Reply #1 on: 13.05. 2010 07:27 »
I think it attaches to the 2 studs that would normally hold the toolbox.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 13.05. 2010 12:51 »
All becomes clear,

Apparently I should have a bracket complete with anchor nut on my frame (next to where the toolbox normally sits), the exhausts should attach themselves to the frame via this bracket. Unfortunately my bike's previous owners must have sought fit to cut this bracket off hence my confusion.

Guess this is a job for the local welder   *conf*
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 21.05. 2010 12:39 »
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, up pops a gem.

Having finally worked out how my new high level exhaust is to fit to the bike I thought it was just an easy excercise as ordering the fitting kit as laid down on Page 16 of my trusty BSA parts catalogue. Howvever after enquiring and exhausting all my known parts suppliers for the kit, it seems that they can't be found anywhere. Would anyone out there know where I can lay my hands on the items or indeed if they need to be manufactured, who could do this in the UK (Home Counties Area)?

Spacer Bar - 42-2700
Clip - 42-2703
Spacer Bar - 40-6516
Bolt - 90-3061
Bolt - 65-0292

Many Thanks in advance for any help given.
Bruce
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 25.05. 2010 14:29 »
The '57 Spit was built on the CA7A frame which has no factory provision for high pipes. The FA7A and GA7A Spitfire frames are fitted with the mountings you need, but you can weld them onto the CA7A frame yourself. You'll destroy its originality, of course (only 285 of the CA7A Spit were made, so you can judge whether you want to do this or not).

No toolbox was fitted to any version of the A10 Spitfire.

David
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 25.05. 2010 16:56 »
Hi David,

Yes I am aware the correct spitfire 57 frame doesn't have the correct mounting bracket/anchor nut for the high level pipes and I wouldn't dream of welding any bracket on my bike to suit. However my frame does seem to have two lug holes around the internal toolbox fitting area for some reason so I was thinking of using these to hold/bolt on the exhaust fixing bracket. Again that seems the easy bit, the hard bit is locating all the other spacers and clips that the high level exhaust uses.

How has all the budding spitfire builders over the years managed to get their hands on these items?

Regards
Bruce
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 29.05. 2010 15:47 »
OK.  Assuming you have the -3061 clips, the rest of the hardware you want can be easily fabricated.
In any event, you might have better luck with a US supplier since the US is where most Spitfires were sold.
Try Klempf's British Parts in Dodge Center, MN: www.klempfs.com. He's been very good at locating parts over the years.

David
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 30.05. 2010 01:45 »
Any added on bracket if brazed can easily be melted off in the future.

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 01.06. 2010 09:41 »
Hi David,

Never thought of searching for parts from the States  *smiley4*, as you quite rightly said, most of the spitfires were exported over to you guys.

Many Thanks.
Bruce
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline Plammimam

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 18.11. 2017 13:04 »
Hi, sorry to reserect this thread but have the same issue with a replica A10 Spitfire I have just purchased. Did anyone have a photo of the frame attachment area. I have figured out all the parts required just need to see the fit details