Author Topic: Rocket Gold Star Replica finished at last!  (Read 7583 times)

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: Rocket Gold Star Replica finished at last!
« Reply #15 on: 04.06. 2010 11:11 »
Loverly bike  wink2

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 04.06. 2010 17:27 »
Ok, you throttle jockies, it's an original Feridax throttle lock from those by gone days when people used to nick bikes....just like today then really. I even have the key...well worn though but still works. People also like to walk off with the Goldie tanks so I've made a cunning mod to the tank bolt to foil those tempted because of the horrendous cost of original tanks + dent removal + chroming + painting... if you want to avoid the Indian ones.
Approx. 250 running in miles on it now in the up to 3500rpm range. I've noticed that the oil gets hotter in the tank than my Goldie. My friend with an identical 'ish RGS did a oil temp comparison with his iron head Flash on a defined circuit and speed and the Flash oil was much cooler than his RGS. He has now fitted an oil cooler to the return line of his RGS which he says has cooled the oil and improved his oil pressure. No actual figures to give you.
Did a run today on the loop around Exeter(coffee stop at Bridge)/old A30/Stickleback/Okehampton/Tavistock and back to Plymouth. Oh Joy! Still no oil drips! Retirement is such a good job!
Cheers
Alan
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 27.01. 2013 18:25 »
Nice bike - more evidence morphing my SR project into an RGS replica would result in a more interesting ride.  I have noticed after looking at all the RGS photos if RGS is "Googled" that there are numerous options and interpretations on the RGS platform.  Head light brackets, exhaust systems, handlebars, etc. which seems to leave a blank canvas with at least some of the parts.

On Alan's bike, isn't the front tire mounted backwards?  Aren't the grooves to the sidewalks supposed to shed water from under the tire's footprint?

Thanks,

Steve

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 27.01. 2013 18:40 »
On Alan's bike, isn't the front tire mounted backwards?  Aren't the grooves to the sidewalks supposed to shed water from under the tire's footprint?

Looks all wrong but it's right, it's to do with whether the wheel drives or is driven, it would be wrong if it was on the rear
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline JulianM

• A's Good Friend
  • www.historiccompetitionservices.be
    • Historic Competition Services
« Reply #19 on: 28.01. 2013 07:21 »
Bike looks really great!
Lots of very nice touches!!
Well done and enjoy her!!

Julian
52 Ducati Cucciolo Race bike 50cc
64 Triumph TR6 SS
67 Triumph 100C
67 ILO Race Bike  50cc
71 Sachs Race Bike  50cc
71 Laverda 750SF,
71 Laverda/Egli 750SF, Race bike,
71 Norton Commando 750 Roadster,
71 Norton Commando 750 SS
75 Laverda 3C,
75 Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk0,
76 Beta Cross TR6  50cc
80 Ducati 900 MHR,
81 Yamaha RD350LC

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #20 on: 28.01. 2013 10:16 »
 wink2  Top Job Alan..
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 28.01. 2013 16:21 »
Still confused on the front tire.  How does the tire shed the water via the grooves to the sides installed this way?  Seems counter-intuitive for a front tire.  Wouldn't it promote hydro-planing?

And here's another functional part that confuses me.  I have been around plenty of racing machines/motors and 99.99% seem to have equal length exhaust headers.  I have read words from the master, Eddie Dow, that the Siamese exhaust header flows better than individual pipes which is one of the reasons the RGS output approaches 50 hp.  The left cylinder exhaust gasses travel farther to the "Y" than the right cylinder exhaust gasses.  How is that more efficient?  And why would the a single carb work better with the Siamese pipes vs a dual carb set-up?

Thanks,

Steve

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #22 on: 28.01. 2013 18:47 »
 Yes Steve I often ponder that ?. I'm of the persuasion that each cylinder has it's own carb and pipe all equal. Each cylinder can be tuned individually.
Possibly the inertia of the gas leaving the right cylinder will help scavenging of the left, but the old sonic/pressure wave effect would be out the window.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 03.02. 2013 10:48 »
This post was lost in the server change so I'll put it up again for interest since I haven't seen this done before.

I've changed my bars over to clip ons to get the cafe racer look BUT with a more comfortable set up than the usual extreme arrangement.
On the 2 photos attached you should be able to spot a) that the clip ons are mounted right up under the top yoke and not under the upper headlight clips, b) the clip ons are 5 degree droop and not the usual 10 degree c) I've eliminated the usual and awkward looking tubular loop normally fitted under the headlamp shell with clip ons, d) the headlight shell is slightly lower and further back than the usual protruding 'Goldie' position for a more integrated look, e) the front indicators are now more subtly located down at the lower yoke and f) there are chromed adaptors under the lower yoke to mount the top of the spring rubber gaiters.

All this ends up with the look of a cafe racer style but with a much more comfortable riding experience.

Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 03.02. 2013 11:42 »
offtopic
This post was lost in the server change
Nothing lost on the live forum. But those (few) who posted 'real posts' on the 2 days the transitional test-forum was active (very clearly labeled 'for test-posting only'!) needs to repost (prefered) or contact admin to have a look at the test-forum archives. Seemingly only 1 or 2 posts in addition to this one.
Thanks, and sorry if there was any confusion.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 03.02. 2013 12:01 »
Yes Steve I often ponder that ?. I'm of the persuasion that each cylinder has it's own carb and pipe all equal. Each cylinder can be tuned individually.
Possibly the inertia of the gas leaving the right cylinder will help scavenging of the left, but the old sonic/pressure wave effect would be out the window.
Cheers

Throwing sonic pressure wave effects out the window may be a good thing overall, on a road bike.  If you get a genuine good effect at maximum rpm, you'll have bad effects at other rpm.

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #26 on: 03.02. 2013 17:21 »
Many years ago at college I did a project concerning 2 stroke exhaust design and I often had the opportunity to sneak my A10 on to the rolling road....a '55 GF .....there was no real difference between std, swept backs or siamese pipes as I recall using the same silencers (if you could call them that!) but do remember the highest figure I got....31 odd bhp ...which was with a siamese pipe when I was trying replacing silencers with a length of tube....

Offline Zen Up 67

• Active
  • You'll never make it to Darlo on that!
« Reply #27 on: 16.02. 2013 04:01 »
I've got one of them throttle lockey things, they'm great round Brum! Must fit it....
1961 A7 Shooting Star 500cc
1969 A65 Thunderbolt 650cc
1953 D1 Bantam 125cc