Author Topic: indian petrol tanks  (Read 10163 times)

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
indian petrol tanks
« on: 08.06. 2010 13:40 »
what is the general opinion of the pattern petrol tanks made in india ? the original tank on my a10 is in need of having the dents knocked out and replating , i was wondering if it wouldn't be better to simply get one of the repro's .

Offline Rusty nuts

• West Sussex
  • A's Good Friend
Re: indian petrol tanks
« Reply #1 on: 08.06. 2010 17:13 »
The problem is a lot of pattern stuff is absolute junk, looks fine until you try to fit it.
I have just spend two hours trying unsucessfully to persuade a pattern (Wassel, made in India I'm told) 7" Headlamp rim to fit, no way!
Comparing it top the original on my other bike both diameter & depth are 2mm out.
The only W clips availabe (so I'm told) are made wrong or at least for something different than a 7" rim & took some serious remodelling in order not to foul the nacelle rim!

I make a point to salvage as much as possible even if not cost effective, as it generally leads to less cursing.

I recall seeing a post earlier in the year about Indian tanks & there were some issues albeit fixable regarding fitting, clearances for wiring looms etc.

You should be able to get the original tank polished & replated for around £130-150. A good paint job & lining around £250-300.
Dent removal varies wildley depending on who you get to quote & how bad the dents are but count on anywhere between  £100-250
 If you're not a pefectionist dents that will eventually be covered by paint can be filled, after chroming of course.

So I suppose you may save a bit depending on what the Indian ones go for (about £250 I recall).

Bantam John (buyer beware) found at all UK autojumbles usually has some recon originals plated painted & ready to go for around £450.
Found a small dent in one I was looking at that he cheekily insisted was a paint smudge & if you manage to get a bit of discount don't expect him to give you the box it came in!

Cheers

Rusty
1949 A7 Plunger
1947 A7 Rigid Star Twin
1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120V

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 08.06. 2010 19:35 »
thanks rusty nuts , i did a search and didn't come across anything relevant.
i'll look into getting the original one done , money is not particularly plentiful at the moment, a friend who gave me all the original bsa tinwear off his b31 bought an indian tank and he seems happy enough with it, i have been told that the gauge of metal they are made from isn't heavy enough and i was wondering if the plating was the usual "wassel" quality , eg. rip it off in sheets with your fingers,     

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 08.06. 2010 20:03 »
Hi Bonny,

Are we talking about a Swinging arm A10 here??  If so, and you intend using a B31 fuel tank on the A10 check to see if the original fuel tap is with it.

My experience tells me that B31 tanks only have one hole for a fuel tap and these fuel taps (quite rare) have their own reserve facility.  Whereas the A10 models have a hole for fuel taps on both sides of the tank so one of the taps is used for the reserve fuel.

This maybe isn't a problem for local runs but it can be annoying when you do distance work and run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere.  Just thought I'd mention it!!

Beezageezauk.

Offline Rusty nuts

• West Sussex
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 08.06. 2010 20:23 »
Bonny

Do a search for topic 2542, some relevant info there.

Rusty
1949 A7 Plunger
1947 A7 Rigid Star Twin
1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120V

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 08.06. 2010 20:44 »
I have a new Goldie tank for my project, I presume it is an Indian one, it is a bit wide where the rubber buffers are and they don't meet the tank, I'm sure I'll get round this, don't know if goldie tanks where different underneath or not.
Chrome is quite good but how it will fair in a few years I don't know, it also varies very slightly in shade here and there (that might be a clue).
The only issue I have had is that due to the time this project has taken the tank was stored for some time in an airtight container - empty - my mistake I should have filled it with oil or paraffin as it rusted internally, just a light rust but rust never the less, I got a kit that neutralised the rust and sealed the tank, the tank wasn't leaking but I thought it prudent to seal it and prevent any future rust getting it's wicked way.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 08.06. 2010 21:01 »
My old man got one for his B33 and the quality was very good. Heavy gauge steel and good chrome. Packing/shipping was excellent and delivery took 4 weeks. Even the original petrol tap fitted. No problems.

Just recently got an A7 plunger chaingaurd direct from Delhi for £50 delivered. GoOd quality - needs repainting  - the only way I can tell the difference from original is that the pump fixing points are made from sheet steel and they should be from wire. Other than that, tickety boo.

Hope this helps

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 08.06. 2010 21:30 »
thanks for the responses , i'll have to buy a few more bits first before i have to worry about cosmetic things anyway, the engine is fine but i need a good set of new cam followers and a "ski slope" and air filter housing. i'll work out if its better to buy a new tank or get the old one replated.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #8 on: 08.06. 2010 23:15 »
I bought an Indian one 3 weeks ago from Hawkshaws in Liverpool. All chrome, 295 GBP +VAT, ie less than a proper refurb etc of a chrome- panelled original. It was for my B31, which was leaking like an incontinent dog at the rear arch.

Comments:
tank has enough cutaway on the right underside to clear single engine.
two fuel tap holes, 3/8 BSP, well made and in the right places or near enough - just took a run-through with a tap to clean some excess chrome off.
The studs for the steady bar are correct at 5/16ths BSC and well attached.
The knee pad holes were correctly spaced and correct thread, 1/4 BSF or Cycle, not sure which they are.
Chrome pretty fair if not best I've ever seen.
Shape and fit OK. Maybe a tiny bit wide at fullest point, and maybe a tiny bit short, like 1/2 inch or so, on total length. But went on no trouble with centre bolt hole spot on.
Also fitted straight on my A when I tried it to see.
Fuel cap fitted well too after a light dressing with a file on the lumps that engage the cap.
Could be the one I bought would suit an A7 as well as or better than a B - I have no idea of the small differences. The guy at Hawkshaw thought s/arm A7 ones were a bit shorter than the A10 ones. I haven't a clue. My B is a '56, the A a '59/'60. All the tanks - whether rightly or wrongly and I don't know - are round badge ones.

When I then cut out the end and brazed a new section into the leaky one from the B I put it on the A, as the chrome panels were quite good, better than the paint on the A's tank. (I'd tried and failed to braze it up as it was before buying the new one, but the rear panel was cracked and fragile and heat didn't help at all so it as an angle grinder job in the end.)
The B's mended one one seems maybe an inch shorter than the tank that was on the A which is now a usable spare.
But I couldn't say if what was on anything was 100% correct or not, nor what the brand new one is really for. Nor cpould I say if the seats on either bike are spot on - lengths seem to vary, with an effect on the apparent fit of the tanks.
There are pics of the various versions available on Hawkshaw's web site, and no doubt elsewhere as well. Jim at Hawkshaws was struggling to tell me quite what tank was actually for which exact model - in the end we just exchanged photos and I took what looked the nearest to what I had on the B with the primary issue being clearance under the rh side for the top end of the single engine.

Whatever the finer points of fit and form may be, I'm pretty happy and I reckon the Indian tank is a good solution where 100% attention to every year-by-year model detail isn't critical. I continue to think the value is good too, and of course I still have the tans I started with, which could obviously be made perfect if I was inclined to spend the money, or cared all that much.

Tried to attach a pic of the new tank, but the res was too high . . . however, the web site shows the thing well enough for anyone interested.
Bill

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 08.06. 2010 23:33 »
Groily,
              A couple of comments.
The B tank up to 1957 is generally similar to the A tank except for the position of the fuel taps.
The knee pads should be in the low position, raised for '58 models.
Beezageezauk rightly points out that post '57 B tanks have only one fuel tap.
Brazing repairs to your tank will lead to cracking in the future around the repair.
You need to remove all traces of bronze and weld with steel.
Trev.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #10 on: 09.06. 2010 07:46 »
Thanks for that Trev - I'd no idea what is right for what model as they're v similar to my eyes. Someone who knows the differences could probably do the world a favour and identify what all these pattern tanks are the closest match for! But the Indian job seems perfectly OK for what I want. The leaky B tank has 2 taps but the higher position for the knee pads, so not quite right; the one on the A had 2 and the lower knee grips, so not quite right, and the Indian one has 2 taps and the higher knee grips. They all three seem to have pretty much the same shape underneath. These are things I don't mind about, because these are low-value all-weather all-year covered-in-shite machines. I rather frightened myself by buying anything shiny to be honest, as I normally avoid it.

More seriously, on the 'not brazing', I know you're dead right about cracks -  I'll see how long it holds together. This was a tank that had been repaired several times with everything from soft solder to resin to braze and silver solder, and had been filled with Petseal to boot. Was amazing what started melting under the torch. The gap between the metal and the top of the centre bolt fixing was about 2mm all round when I got all the previous efforts off  . . . close to scrap really, short of taking it completely apart and starting again. But hey, after 50+ years, all to be expected really.
Bill

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #11 on: 09.06. 2010 09:13 »
The problem with Indian stuff is that there are a few people out there making all this stuff and it's difficult to know who is producing the rubbish and who is producing some pretty good stuff by accounts from what I've read. In the last couple of months I've bought some front/rear mudguards for an M20, I'm half expecting to have to use a big hammer to fit them however I might be lucky. I'd be very wary about anything structural like girder forks which I have been told are potentially lethal. It's a gamble unfortunately and I think I'd be more inclined to repair if possible.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 09.06. 2010 09:46 »
I started to restore my A10 petrol tank and began to realise that I was throwing money away. You cannot make good a 50 year old tank which was only made from thin sheet steel. I purchased an Indian made tank, but I got it through C and D Autos. http://www.canddautos.co.uk/.    They tell me that they buy them and fit them onto a dummy frame and reject any they are not happy with. I felt more confident purchasing it through C and D rather than purchasing direct from India. Its been on 12 months now, chrome quality is good, fitted ok. There are some slight differences the centre hole slightly smaller, distance beteween underside frame pads slightly wider, Knee pad holes are correct. Its your choice.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #13 on: 09.06. 2010 09:54 »
Interesting to see the comments re Wassel...

Generally not impressed.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 09.06. 2010 12:05 »
I started to restore my A10 petrol tank and began to realise that I was throwing money away. You cannot make good a 50 year old tank which was only made from thin sheet steel. I purchased an Indian made tank, but I got it through C and D Autos. http://www.canddautos.co.uk/.    They tell me that they buy them and fit them onto a dummy frame and reject any they are not happy with. I felt more confident purchasing it through C and D rather than purchasing direct from India. Its been on 12 months now, chrome quality is good, fitted ok. There are some slight differences the centre hole slightly smaller, distance beteween underside frame pads slightly wider, Knee pad holes are correct. Its your choice.

can i ask what you paid goldy and is the chrome plate triple plate , e.g copper , nickle and finally chrome do you know ?