Author Topic: Hi from mike  (Read 1388 times)

Offline mikethebrush

• A's Good Friend
  • pre restoraton
Hi from mike
« on: 08.06. 2010 19:02 »
HI Im mike and joined tonight

I have a Bsa A7 ss , Ive owned it for years but its been tucked away, ive picked it up brought it home tonight to start a restoration, now I have to make a decsision how far to go as its in unrestored original condition, it does need work but im thinking along the lines of a full mechanical rebuild and then decide how far to go with the rest

your views would be welcome

no pics yet but will when my duchess finds the lead to join the camera to the pc

Im in Leighton Buzzard , Bedfordshire
1959 BSA A7 SHOOTING STAR

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Hi from mike
« Reply #1 on: 08.06. 2010 19:46 »
Hi Mike and welcome to our friendly forum.

First of all I'm sure that you will enjoy the assistance and information that the forum can offer.  There are quite a few guys on here with A7SS models.  I think that there are also some members from your area...namely Beds, Bucks and Northants area so you should be in good company and privvy to the more personal touch.

Good luck with the restoration but only you can decide how far to go with it.  Decide what sort of job you want to make of it...work out some sort of budget and then be careful that it doesn't run away with your cash!!

Beezageezauk.

Offline Rusty nuts

• West Sussex
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 08.06. 2010 20:12 »
Welcome Mike,

work out some sort of budget and then be careful that it doesn't run away with your cash!!

By all means plan a budget, then double it & apply a lot of love & understanding.
 But like wives it will probably run away with your cash anyway, but in an incomprehensible way that only you  (and hopefully the wife) will understand will be worth it ;)

Cheers

Rusty

1949 A7 Plunger
1947 A7 Rigid Star Twin
1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120V

Offline gold33

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 09.06. 2010 01:38 »
G'Day Mike,

Welcome, I'm with Rusty on the budget  plus 10%.
The greatest issue however is the constant discussion with certain family members over how long it will be before it's finished!
I bought mine as a fully restored machine with this in mind, that way it only took another 10mths to get it on the road... And if not for the help I recieved from this forum I'd still be waiting for parts.

Somewhere in the 10 mths the bike was named "The Puzzle"  *eek*
Darren
'52 Plunger

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 09.06. 2010 05:10 »
G'day Mike,
                    Good of you to join us.
  I never talk in time when doing bike work. I find it much easier in $$$$$. So if it costs $1000 it will take between 5 and 10 weeks.
  I like to do a motor rebuild and get it going before I tackle the pretties.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 09.06. 2010 09:21 »
Welcome.
I think you're right. Get it running and treat it to nice stuff when it comes along. How I did mine.
A good example is wheels. It costs a fortune to get them done, and really so long as they are round and the spokes are all there. They'll be fine.
I ran mine like that until I came across a wheel with alloy rim and stainless spokes at an autojumble, little later got the back one built....years later had the tank chromed and painted from the proceeds of selling another bike

Offline olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 09.06. 2010 10:36 »
Gday Mike,
'An A7 SS in unrestored original condition' hey.
How lucky can you get.
Personally I'd stick to the mechanicals. they lose something with a repaint.
cheers

Offline mikethebrush

• A's Good Friend
  • pre restoraton
« Reply #7 on: 09.06. 2010 20:05 »
Hi Thanks for the great welcome

ive started cleaning it tonight and assessing what I need to get, I was thinking as I cleaned it, how many unrestored a7 ss are there these days, the bikes all bsa theres no pattern parts at all, original paint and chrome, dunlop rims, avon speedmaster tyres and so on

I havent the money for a full resto anyway, so im starting with engine and gearbox rebuild and then move onto the electrics

im cleaning it now and will wax it to hold it in this condition

I think I might keep this as an original bike and pick up a basket case to restore

thanks all for your input

I think I will be on here a lot over the next few years

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 09.06. 2010 20:47 »
Heyup Mike,

There's a lot to be said for a bike in original and usable condition.  The best thing is that you won't be worried about the worst of the weather that can be thrown at you as you are riding it.  I have a B31 in much the same condition and it amazes me how it draws more attention than some of the gleaming bikes that park next to it.  As you already realise...there are thousands of nicely restored bikes about (and there's nothing wrong with that) but none of these can be taken back to original.  At least you can always restore your A7SS at a later date.

Mind you...there's an art to keep one looking unrestored and full of patina especially when you need to fit a new part to it.

Ok, get it cleaned up and ready for the road.  Then use it and enjoy it as it is!!

Beezageezauk.

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 09.06. 2010 22:26 »
hi mike i got my bike in 2001 its cost me £7000 to get it the way i want it
but its worth every penny i love my super rocket i would take it to bed if i could *smile*

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #10 on: 10.06. 2010 08:01 »
Hello Mike, firstly welcome to the forum.

As for the to restore or not to restore question I guess that is one only you can answer. Personally I love original bikes, anybody can buy a restored machine but to own a unmolested original is special. The thing is they are only totally original once and when you get into reproduction parts it is a downhill slide. So if we were having a vote on wether to restore or not put me down as a leave original.

Good luck with it all whichever way you choose to go.

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 10.06. 2010 08:59 »
Hello Mike and welcome!

The A7 SS is a great bike, I love mine. It is so much smoother than the A10 and still has plenty of go.
As for the restoration question: It is down to personal choice really, but like Brian said, beware of pattern parts!

A funny idea:
You could post some pics and we could start a "Restoration - YES or NO"-poll. The forum software offers a poll function, just dunno whether normal members or only admins could start one?
Would be quite interesting what the outcome is however.

Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline mikethebrush

• A's Good Friend
  • pre restoraton
« Reply #12 on: 10.06. 2010 16:49 »
Hi Markus

that would be fun, I will have to find the lead that connects the camera to the pc

im still cleaning gunge off it, I was a demon with the grease tin when I was young so a lot of bits have been preserved but I was unaware of the corrosive effect on chrome so ive lost the chrome to the rear wheel, drive side rear shock, chaingaurd.and silencers where the grease on the chain sprayed the back end of the bike, theres a lot to be said for using chain lube

not to worry its only shiny bits and they can be replaced as I can afford it, at the end of the day im a biker not a museum curator so I want it mechanicly sound and moted by next summer and then I will ride as is while I hunt down original bsa replacement parts or have the original parts rechromed

theres no time limits on this , I just want it rideable and no pattern parts