Author Topic: eddie dow top yoke  (Read 2834 times)

Offline andy2565

• A's Good Friend
eddie dow top yoke
« on: 10.06. 2010 22:27 »
are all fork stantions paralell,mine seem to recess in between the standard yokes,i was oing to fit a eddie dow top yoke but this push's the legs down,which means the legs are to thin to tighten,anyone else encountered this or are these one offs,and also if the legs go down,this will depress the springshas anyone with a rgs had this problem,cheers andy
near wolves uk,will keep riding as long as can stay upright,tribsa,tt500,2xJAP grasstrackers+jawa.gold flash.triumph metisse,and others.

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
Re: eddie dow top yoke
« Reply #1 on: 10.06. 2010 23:00 »
The BSA stanchions taper down in diameter above and below the bottom yoke. By the sounds of it the Eddie Dow top yoke must be a dropped or gullwing style and the original yoke straight?
1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.06. 2010 23:49 »
Hi Andy,
There are different versions of the fork legs floating around, some are also tapered between top and bottom yoke *ex*
If you are going to use the Taylor Dow yoke, I'm presuming you are also going to fit clip ons??
If the legs are tapered this is NOT a good idea!!
Autocycle Engineering supply stanchions that are parallel between the yokes and suitable for clip ons
To counteract the reduction in spring pressure due to the legs moving down, Taylor Dow fitted extra long top fork bushes, this also stiffens the forks reducing flex.
This is another example of changing one part which has several knock on consequences!!
HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline andy2565

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 11.06. 2010 09:10 »
yes  i was going to fit clipons,i'll go and see chris at autocycle today,i was there yesterday,always the way as you say there are always follow on problems,i had to change the springs,because the guy before had fitted some cycle springs i think !,and 2 way dampers,but the longer bush's dow fitted would only reduce the travel,maybe i could machine some spacers to go btween the bottom yoke and spring shrouds,this is a cafe racer special i'm building,
near wolves uk,will keep riding as long as can stay upright,tribsa,tt500,2xJAP grasstrackers+jawa.gold flash.triumph metisse,and others.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 11.06. 2010 09:51 »
Hi Andy,
The longer bushes reduce the travel, and also shorten the amount of stanchion sticking out from the bottom leg by the same amount!
HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline andy2565

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 11.06. 2010 15:46 »
i'm going to bin the idea of the dow yoke,i'll use it on a future project,to much of a domino effect,cheers for the help,autocycle gave me some stanchions to try,but they were still not right,i'll use goldstar legs next time.

Offline trickytree

• A's Good Friend
  • Lincolnshire, England
« Reply #6 on: 11.06. 2010 18:40 »
When I did my A65 hardtail bobber I needed to shorten the front forks as i dont like the engine tilting backwards 60's style. Couldnt find any suitable stanchions so I just shortened what i had and re cut the taper and thread.

1965 A65 Bobber
A10 Bitza project