Author Topic: Removing magneto bearings  (Read 4341 times)

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
Removing magneto bearings
« on: 14.06. 2010 20:16 »
In the past people have asked how to remove magneto bearings safely. Here are a couple of pullers that I made a while ago that work quite well.They could be made by anyone who,in the absense of a lathe, can source a suitable off-cut of pipe a nut and bolt and 3 screws and someone to weld it together.  The screws tighten up onto the bearing groove/track of the inner race. I have put it in the technical section as clearly the principle could be used to remove any similar bearing that is a bit awkward to get behind with an ordinary puller.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/4018/012xs.jpg

On the end of the magneto shaft that carries the points, a pad has to be improvised to protect the brass end of the shaft.
Mike

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: Removing magneto bearings
« Reply #1 on: 14.06. 2010 21:37 »
With you all the way on this one MikeN.
Being sick of the 'stout copper wire in the track' trick, I made a double ended split-shell clamp type thingy with a full-circle ridge to engage the groove on the two basic sizes (15 and 18mm id), plus a tapered bung to protect the cb end female taper as you rightly emphasise. Works a treat and is usually not here, as someone's borrowing it. My pic won't attach as the res is too high and I'm a moron when it comes to digi-tech, but you'll know what I mean. The beauty of the full-circle ridge is it is gentler on the inner race then the grub screw method - but the downside is it obviously has to be turned up, and in my case also needs a simple 2 legged puller to operate it.
I don't know why there isn't a commercially available equivalent out there - or maybe there is and I just haven't spotted it? Or maybe there's a limited-production opportunity out there (for anyone who wants a sure-fire way to lose money!).

The same principles apply to any bearing with no usable space behind the inner race, and my box is also rather full of such contraptions that did something useful, usually only once.
I think the up-to-60mm AF infinitely-adjustable socket spanner created for getting the crankshaft sprocket nut off my RE takes the biscuit in terms of time spent for a limited return! But where the hell do you buy a socket that size on a Sunday? And if you could, how much would it cost!? (Even if it was the very end of Sunday before the thing could be brought to bear owing to the time spent milling and turning it out of a chunk of 3 inch hex bar in a small workshop . . .)
Bill

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 14.06. 2010 21:58 »
I am using this brilliant tool:

http://www.kukko.com/index.cfm/DE/products/17/204/kukko_23_abziehfutter_baureihe_23

Bought a used one (ex German army) for a more than reasonable price. The best tool I have seen so far for this job. Works for bearing races from 5mm to 32mm in diameter.
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 15.06. 2010 01:11 »
On the subject of maggy bearings, i presume we can't get them from our friendly bearing shop?

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 15.06. 2010 06:59 »
Now that is some tool Markus. I notice the site doesn't actually put a price up in large Euro signs! But I WANT ONE! They seem to make/sell some really useful stuff . . . Might have known there'd be a decent German company making decent stuff that works.

For bearings, I guess anyone might order them up wilko, but normally I get them from Independent Ignition Supplies or one of the other usual suspects, as they're good for all the other little bits needed in one web-shopping stop.
Bill

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 15.06. 2010 10:08 »
groily,
I don't know what the Kukko one actually costs, but a similar extractor is available from the Austrian firm Gedore, this one is around 150 Euro.

There's one on ebay Germany actually:
http://cgi.ebay.de/GEDORE-Abziehfutter-5-32-mm-125-mm-1-44-1-/120337809902?cmd=ViewItem&pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Heimwerker_Handwerkzeug&hash=item1c04b141ee

They sometimes turn up on the German bay as used ones, keep looking for "Abziehfutter", you might get a real cheap one if you are in no hurry. Let me know if you need a translator.

Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 15.06. 2010 14:09 »
Thanks Markus, I'll just drool for the moment as there seem to have been a lot of drains on the finances keeping non-BSAs running just lately. Penalties for over-use I guess. But I shall be watching for bargains - and thanks a lot for offering to help with translation - my German is lousy.
Bill

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 15.06. 2010 14:53 »
Mais probablement meilleur que mon français.  *smile*
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

Austria

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 15.06. 2010 18:24 »
Je ne suis pas sûr mon brave! Comme tu comprendras bien, nous les anglais n'avons jamais bien maîtrisé les langes étrangères!
Und . . .  ich spreche nicht deutsch!
But we're quite good about it, being quite prepared to speak loudly and repeat ourselves ad nauseam in English should someone prove, for whatever unfathomable reason, to be unable to understand us.
'Twas the Arrogance of Empire, as in 'Mine's Bigger Than Yours'. But we long-term expats are a bit less one-eyed. The memsahib remarked to me last week that we've now lived in France longer than we've ever lived anywhere - which is a bit worrying. Maybe it's time to move on . . . but what to do with the Shed!?
Bill