Author Topic: a couple of clutch questions  (Read 3221 times)

Offline mikethebrush

• A's Good Friend
  • pre restoraton
a couple of clutch questions
« on: 16.06. 2010 16:43 »
I decided to remove my kickstart lever in case I give into the temptation to kick it to see if the motor has siezed, I noticed the shaft didnt move

so i stripped off the primary cover to check the clutch and a bearing was laid loose in the bottom , so ive removed the clutch

before I removed the clutch I took off the primary chain and checked the kick start and the shaft still didnt move, took the clutch off and the kickstart works fine

the centre nut wasnt very tight and theres a light scoring on the inside of the case,I fitted a four spring clutch when I was a lad and obviously didnt tighten it properly

im going to fit new plates to the clutch but  want to sort the problem out before I move on to the next job, so my questions are

does anyone know the correct length of a clutch pushrod for the 4 spring triumph clutch in a std gearbox

I was going to stick the bearings back with grease and then stopped, if I do this will the grease find its way onto the clutch plates, if so whats thecorrect procedure

my chain and sprockets are in good conditon how do I lubricate them
1959 BSA A7 SHOOTING STAR

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
Re: a couple of clutch questions
« Reply #1 on: 16.06. 2010 17:21 »
The grease wont hurt the clutch plates.The whole assembly including the chain should run in oil. Do you have a manual?
Mike

Offline mikethebrush

• A's Good Friend
  • pre restoraton
« Reply #2 on: 16.06. 2010 17:38 »
thanks for the reply mike

no i dont have one yet, ive sent of for the restoration book by roy bacon and a haynes but they havent arrived yet

I did notice a drain plug on the case and there was oil in the casing, so if grease wont hurt the plates I will use grease for the bearings and get the clutch set up again

I know it will have to come off again to remove the gearbox but I want to keep everything together as much as possible

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #3 on: 16.06. 2010 20:04 »
Hi Mike,
I'm not saying mine is correct(!) but my '61 Flash has the 4 Spring Clutch / STD gearbox and due to the ongoing nature of the gearbox job (don't ask!!) there are bits scattered about the place everywhere..
Have located the clutch rod and taking the 1999 "Coast to Coast Run " souvenir tape measure found recently I headed to the garage only to find that it measures in METRIC !!!

So apologies for the lack of "proper" measurement but mine is approx 105mm long...

Hope this helps,

PS a dab of grease is the "approved" way of keeping the rollers in place when re-assembling the clutch..

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 16.06. 2010 20:27 »
PS a dab of grease is the "approved" way of keeping the rollers in place when re-assembling the clutch..
Adrian

I heard of someone who had a clutch problem on a campsite field  who, lacking any grease used butter !!
MN

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 16.06. 2010 20:36 »
Hmmmm... Last Tango In Paris!

Offline mikethebrush

• A's Good Friend
  • pre restoraton
« Reply #6 on: 16.06. 2010 21:25 »
thanks Adrian

metric is fine, im a cabinet maker by trade so use both imperial and metric

ill check mine tommmorrow, probably needs replacing, I was going to replace the plates as they were soaked in oil but if thats correct ill put it back as it is

ill wait for a manual before I strip anything else , I just wanted to find out what was wrong and im relieved it was something simple at fault-me!

Offline brackenfel

• Valued Contributor
  • Adrian - Bristol UK
« Reply #7 on: 17.06. 2010 07:17 »
Had a thought last night , my post didn't sound right!!
Make that 305mm, damn this metric stuff !!  *conf*

Apologies...

Adrian
1961 A10 650 Golden Flash - Blue
1954 BSA B33
Velocette Viper
Laverda 750 SF1
Kawasaki W650
Buell XB9S
Ariel 350NH & Matchless G3LS in bits...

Offline mikethebrush

• A's Good Friend
  • pre restoraton
« Reply #8 on: 17.06. 2010 09:32 »
no need to apologise Adrian

I was one step aheaad of you and thought you meant meant 300 not 100

its  the 05 that matters and I shall have to send off for a replacement

thanks for your advice

mike

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 17.06. 2010 09:43 »
Mike there is an old dodge ( dodge = several grades higher than a bodge ), you cut the pushrod somewhere around the middle of it's length and put in a suitable sized ball bearing, this gives the pushrod a degree of flex instead of a straight push ( which is beneficial), if the ball bearing happened to be equal to the amount your pushrod is short it would also solve your problem or allow you to cut your pushrod to the right length.
You do need to harden the cut ends of the pushrod by heating and quenching, not to difficult if you have a gas torch of some kind.

all the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #10 on: 17.06. 2010 13:30 »
Old clutch rollers will do the same thing only better & some of my bikes had 4 or more in there.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 17.06. 2010 14:14 »
Hadn't heard that one before Trevor, but sounds good
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline mikethebrush

• A's Good Friend
  • pre restoraton
« Reply #12 on: 17.06. 2010 14:23 »
thanks Bill and 54a10

I seem to remember this being a problem with an ever shortening push rod, something I had difficulty with is getting the adjustable bit in the gearbox end to present square on the end of the rod and still have enough movement to actuate the clutch, if that makes sense

this pushrod is homemade as I was having difficulty obtaining replacements locally i think I must of got it right by trial and error as the set up looks right to me now ive put it all back together and it works

this improvement sounds good and im going to give it a go when the time comes

thanks

mike

Offline mikethebrush

• A's Good Friend
  • pre restoraton
« Reply #13 on: 17.06. 2010 14:33 »
the clutch is back in and working, I left the chain off as I dont want to kick the engine untill I have looked at it and replaced any corroded parts

I didnt have any butter so I used.......... I cant believe its I cant believe its not butter with a new buttery  taste

not really, I dobbed them in place with grease

im going out now to strip it out again and box the parts as I want to whip the engine and g/box out but I will wait till the manual arrives

ive added clutch plates and push rod to my shopping list, im going to add bearings so I have some spares to use in the push rod

thanks for all your help

mike

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #14 on: 17.06. 2010 18:27 »
I have used grease in the primary chain case but soon found it will eventually 'fling' especially if there is too much, and makes a terrible mess, it surely must get in amongst the plates at some stage... Oil has to be best and was recommended by BSA. I've not had any problems since using a 20/50 only.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red