Author Topic: A10 sidecar crank  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: A10 sidecar crank
« Reply #15 on: 20.06. 2010 00:20 »
my other cranks are sadly not to hand today, but putting a bare "heavy" crank on the bathroom scales shows 13kg of ballast.
I can weigh the other cranks in coming weeks or does someone else have a bare SJ or the '58 onwards common LJ type to weigh and report on ?
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #16 on: 21.06. 2010 12:09 »
I tried to weigh one of my spares but her kitchen scales only go upto 8 KG and it was much more than that.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 23.06. 2010 01:25 »
I've retrieved my later type crank and it weighs in at 10kg on the bathroom scales.
Certainly in the heavier crank the extra weight is not carried in the flywheel but in the centre section inside the flywheel.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 25.10. 2010 09:55 »
I had my "heavy" crank motor at the track in the weekend for the first time. Nice light bsa pistons fitted. Med comp 8.x:1 road rocket type.
yes on methanol, a 357 cam and a twin carb head with 10TT9's fitted. Pulling 2 people round a track. She was no slug! I was impressed with the legs she showed. The track is also quite hilly (hampton downs for those with utube) . We were reining in the white 750cc triumph kneeler shown behind us on the picture on our humble sitter.
The crank may weigh a bit but the bike flies 2 up with a chair! As a solo this would still be a stunning motor for the road wink2
New Zealand

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #19 on: 25.10. 2010 12:09 »
Thats brilliant well done. Have you compared it to a std LJ crank in that motor / combination?

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 25.10. 2010 20:23 »
Thats brilliant well done. Have you compared it to a std LJ crank in that motor / combination?

sadly still broke from building the chair, but have most the parts for a similar second motor, albeit single carb super rocket head. But likely to be some time off yet.
But I would have no hesitation in recommending the "heavy" crank
New Zealand