Author Topic: Twin leading shoe ?  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Good Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
Twin leading shoe ?
« on: 21.06. 2010 13:35 »
My A7 has the Ariel front end with BSA rear for some reason, presumably . The braking could be better, although it does pass the MOT.
Is there a twin leading show option available for the Ariel hub ?

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
Re: Twin leading shoe ?
« Reply #1 on: 21.06. 2010 16:19 »
i don't know about a twin leader for that hub , but didn't some enterprising chap fit the hydraulic system from a mini's brakes into a similar hub on a b31/33 ? think it was in realclassic magazine.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 21.06. 2010 20:50 »
I'd be interested to know as well. Mine works great with softer linings, bottoms the suspension when applied hard.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #3 on: 21.06. 2010 23:03 »
I saw a hydraulic conversion done back in the late 80's on a front cast iron single (ariel?) sided hub on a visit to the TT. I mentioned it to a mate who then did the same thing to his road going M21. He used mini rear drum internals and it was very effective. The only catch being it was more suited to modifying a steel front brake plate due to the drilling required and also requires a fairly strong hub (not suitable for the BSA pressed steel 7" front hub for example). Cant see it being an easy option for an Alloy Ariel Hub, can you get some race linings? Would be a lot simpler.
Another option might be to adapt the late triumph 500 twin leader brake plate that's 7" and see if you can modify it to fit. I know someone who has adapted one to run on a rear cast iron type BSA hub and have considered modifying one for my own alloy BSA rear hub (both are racing sidecar BSA's where we use brakes heavily!) but have not done so yet. I have one sitting on the shelf though...

i don't know about a twin leader for that hub , but didn't some enterprising chap fit the hydraulic system from a mini's brakes into a similar hub on a b31/33 ? think it was in realclassic magazine.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand